The Orville Season Two - Thoughts?

CapnZapp

Legend
At this stage I believe it has been conclusively shown exactly how little gain further discussion about time and distance would yield.

Entity K1 is making a surprise attack on entity E.

While en route, a few prisoners from team E manage to escape, and travel all the way to entity K2. Not only that, there is time for K2 to decide on a war, and assemble a fleet, AND travel from K2 to E.

All in time to have a meaningful impact on the K1 - E battle. :heh:

The only rational thing to do is to conclude words like cycles, days, and lightyears are just words on this show, and that everything operates on the "speed of plot" with zero attempt to have it make any sense at all.

Not that this makes the show less entertaining, just that the Orville has firmly settled itself in the "we don't care" (or, charitably, we're copying TNG which didn't care") camp.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
At this stage I believe it has been conclusively shown exactly how little gain further discussion about time and distance would yield.

Entity K1 is making a surprise attack on entity E.

While en route, a few prisoners from team E manage to escape, and travel all the way to entity K2. Not only that, there is time for K2 to decide on a war, and assemble a fleet, AND travel from K2 to E.

All in time to have a meaningful impact on the K1 - E battle. :heh:

Well, if a cycle is a day, and the trip from Kaylon to Earth takes a month, this makes more sense. It could have been *weeks* between the escape and the actual battle.

Of course, if it had been weeks, the conditions in that shuttle bay would have been... unpleasant. Given the joke about the "pee corner", the lack of sanitation alone would have been an issue if that trip took a month.

CapnZapp

Legend
Well, if a cycle is a day, and the trip from Kaylon to Earth takes a month, this makes more sense. It could have been *weeks* between the escape and the actual battle.

Of course, if it had been weeks, the conditions in that shuttle bay would have been... unpleasant. Given the joke about the "pee corner", the lack of sanitation alone would have been an issue if that trip took a month.
Are you actively trying to find logic where none exist?

Yes, you could invent lots of stuff not shown or even mentioned by the show. Not just convenient time gaps between scenes that otherwise appear closely connected, or how the Krill just happened to stand by with a large battle-ready fleet. Or how small shuttles fly faster than big ships. Or that the Kaylon took a detour. Or travelled slowly just because.

Or you could just accept that concepts like time and distance is essentially technobabble that doesn't make sense. It isn't intended to. It doesn't have to.

Which makes the discussion about cycles an exercise in futility. Since the show creators clearly don't give a frak, why should we?

Just enjoy the ride. I do

Best regards

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Are you actively trying to find logic where none exist?

There is a spectrum. Zero logic would not create a comprehensive narrative.

Or you could just accept that concepts like time and distance is essentially technobabble that doesn't make sense. It isn't intended to. It doesn't have to.

With respect, explicitly stated basic durations ought to make sense. Especially *when the writers keep bringing them up*.

I have no issue with things the authors don't bother to mention. In Babylon 5, for example, they don't tell you how their ship drives function. By in large, science has almost no impact upon the show, because they don't talk about the science, and it all works out fine.

It grates when they bring up a thing that ought to be consistent, but we have to struggle to make them work out. If they never mentioned how long these things took, we could and would take it that things simply happened in the order presented, and the gaps could vary as needed for the narrative. But *THEY* brought up the duration in a unit. Not us.

Since the show creators clearly don't give a frak, why should we?

If they mention them, repeatedly in the text, I assume they do care. If they didn't care, they shouldn't have brought it up. Writing 101 - don't write yourself into a corner with details that impinge upon the plotline, but are not actually intended to be relevant.

Just enjoy the ride. I do

"Just enjoy what is presented, but, for heaven's sake, don't *THINK* about it!"

Because we are here for *mindless* fun. Thinking, in sci-fi? Never! {/sarcasm}

CapnZapp

Legend
The ep was okay but hardly groundbreaking.

Again I fear those early bad critics reviews made McFarland dial back on what gave Orville its edge.

Sure even mediocre Trek is better than no Trek at all, but at least I found S1 funny precisely because it was "what if the Enterprise crew actually were klutzes?"

Now they have gone full TNG. And you should never go full TNG.

I guess schmaltzy Beverly Crusher plots is up for S3...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
They didn’t go full TNG. I don’t recall any Trek episodes in which stalling for time involved peeing in a cup. Or a dry reference to a captain’s sex life endangering his ship. AWKwaaaarrrrrd. Or casual references to getting laid.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, well, that's a pretty dry run compared to S1

The fewer fart jokes is why I’m still around. Unlike others I thought the Kaylon two parter was good, but it was no Best of Both Worlds by a long shot. I enjoy the show, but I like it less when they make fart jokes. It undermines the good stuff.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The fewer fart jokes is why I’m still around. Unlike others I thought the Kaylon two parter was good, but it was no Best of Both Worlds by a long shot. I enjoy the show, but I like it less when they make fart jokes. It undermines the good stuff.

7d3c9cee-348f-4c9c-8337-d9124b02487b_text_hi.gif

Of course, one of the best possible sci-fi fart jokes has been done already.
[video=youtube;w3qzCAoc5JU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3qzCAoc5JU[/video]

Last edited:

Remove ads