Is it just me or is the spell Rope Trick kind of absurd?

The climb doesn't specifically not call for an ability check, either. Whether or not it requires a check to climb a free-standing rope is one of those things that's left up to DM interpretation. There's certainly nothing in the spell description to indicate that this rope is easier to climb than other ropes.

The Athletics entry (p. 175 PHB) makes it quite clear what climbs call for an ability check. It does not include a free-standing rope.

mortwatcher

Explorer
Your kind of making my case for me with that argument.

This spell is extremely easy to gotcha with!

much easier that Tiny Hut btw (Tiny hut doesn't require exertion to get into and doesn't expressly dump you out when it ends).

I do not see it that way and nor was it my intention
but if you feel that bent on the interpretation, go for it, it's rulings over rules after all and you can do it at your table as you wish

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I do not see it that way and nor was it my intention
but if you feel that bent on the interpretation, go for it, it's rulings over rules after all and you can do it at your table as you wish

*Sigh*, you must have missed the multiple times I stated that if push came to shove (as in a player actually took this spell) I'd allow the short rest and not be a jerk about the climb, duration, etc.

But if I was a new DM with just the wording of the spell for guidance - I'd be scratching my head quite a bit! They could have at least mentioned "good for a short rest..." or somesuch in the spell description to make it easier.

mortwatcher

Explorer
I do have a fair share of experience with new DMs, and most either defer to their more experienced players or just handwave this kind of stuff, as they have enough on their plate as is. It is usually the more seasoned ones that will do this over-analysis.
I'm sorry if it came as an offense to you, just the last few posts of yours came out that way.

aco175

Legend
I thought a short rest was as long, or short, as plot demanded. Typically the halfling thief in the party has enough time to start a fire, brew a cup of coffee, and warm a few biscuits.

I feel lucky that the DM does not quibble over some of these small things and about the exactness of language. Nobody has mentioned the other languages that 5e has been printed in and how phrases in this or that language gets converted to English and can mean something else. This is almost like how the Bible gets reinterpreted all the time.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I do have a fair share of experience with new DMs, and most either defer to their more experienced players or just handwave this kind of stuff, as they have enough on their plate as is. It is usually the more seasoned ones that will do this over-analysis.
I'm sorry if it came as an offense to you, just the last few posts of yours came out that way.

I would never engage in over-analysis at the table - game time is short enough as it is.

But this is a message board for 5e lovers and quibblers. Plus I'm taking a lunch break - so if not now then when!

Satyrn

First Post
I thought a short rest was as long, or short, as plot demanded.

Since I started running my megadungeon, I've been tracking time more meticulously than I ever have in real life (apart from timing exactly when to arrive at the door to pick up a date), with tides flooding sections for hours at a time, and wandering Monster checks every ten minutes being the two obvious drivers for doing so.

So, the short rest's length is definitely determined by passage of time, and not plot. Yet there's no way I'd rule that rope trick wouldn't last long enough for a short rest. Quibbling over small things is not fun.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Really? it's clear?

The spell expressly states you have to climb a rope to get in (yes it can be a short rope but still).

It does not. It says you CAN climb the rope to reach it, but not that you MUST climb the rope to reach it. It's just telling you where the entrance is - at the top of that rope, a 3-foot-by-5- foot invisible window centered on the rope. If you can reach it without climbing, then it's still there for you to enter. So if the entrance is at waist height and you can enter it just by standing up, you can do that and nothing in the text says or implies you cannot.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
The obvious use of rope trick is as an invisible, impossibly sharp blade trap.

Because nothing does damage like suddenly having a massive gap between things that are supposed to be connected.

Remove ads