Help with Moon Druid forms

Vichrae V.

First Post
I've been interested in playing a Moon Druid but there aren't dinosaurs in my campaign, thus my druid wouldn't know what that was. Most sites list dinosaurs as the forms they recommend in the mid levels before you can shift into elementals. Thus, I'm concerned about the scaleability of this circle. It seems like Dire Wolf (or Brown Bear) are good choices at CR 1, but what are good options for combat wild shapes as you level?

Last edited:

[FONT="]I've been interested in playing a Moon Druid but there aren't dinosaurs in my campaign, and the DM has the rule that you must have encountered a beast to be able to shape into it. Thus, I'm concerned about the scaleability of this circle. It seems like Dire Wolf (or Brown Bear) are good choices at CR 1, but what are good options for combat wild shapes as you level?[/FONT]

That is the actual rule from the PHB.

In any case, here’s a PWYW resource that might help:

https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/242898

[FONT="]I've been interested in playing a Moon Druid but there aren't dinosaurs in my campaign, and the DM has the rule that you must have encountered a beast to be able to shape into it. Thus, I'm concerned about the scaleability of this circle. It seems like Dire Wolf (or Brown Bear) are good choices at CR 1, but what are good options for combat wild shapes as you level?[/FONT]

That´s the rule. You need to know the forms.
You could ask your DM however how he feels about summoning animals with the spell for studying purposes. That is what we persuaded our DM to allow. We really did not encounter a lot of animal so far. That helped.

S'mon

Legend
IME once our moon druid hit level 10, she only ever shaped to Elemental forms. The damage resistance to non-magical attacks and the great powers of earth and air elementals are too good not to take, even at 20th. She occasionally does fire elemental to enshroud some nasty enemy, but usually it's
earth for clobbering or air for evasion. Air + wildshape spellcasting is a nice combo.

Before then, CR 2 Giant Elk was popular, good for transporting the whole party. CR 2 Polar Bear also decent. Not much at CR 3 so I let her turn into an Owlbear at level 9 although technically it is not a Beast.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
One solution is scalability of low CR beasts.

I.E. for every CR above the beast base, add +2d8 HDs worth of HPs with Con bonus, and raise damage die by one step.

Coroc

Hero
Yup your dm is right and he does do it the raw and correct way. I understand you want to be creative, but that's more the polymorph spell which can be used for these utilities. The moon druid gets stronger combat forms already, you should react to what your dm throws in your way and if he is of the cooperative kind he might allow you to add other beasts. Imagine you would be the only dinosaur in his game world, you would be quite unique

Vichrae V.

First Post
I do not want to turn into a dinosaur and that was not in any way what I meant to state or imply. I mention it only because from the various druid guides I've read and comments on various sites they seem to be the "go to" forms for druids between CR 2 and Elementals.

Remove ads