D&D 5E Is Xanathars The New UA? AKA A Munchkins Book

G

Guest 6801328

Actually, I do think that the game could do with more abilities that allow the spending of hit dice outside of short rests (so far, I think there is only the dodging dwarf feat) so something like that might be quite good. I'd probably also provide the caster's spellcasting modifier as bonus healing.

I would love to have seen more options for spending HD. The "Blood Sorcerer" concept, for example.

jgsugden

Legend
I would often go with sub-optimal choices if the feat fit the character, but I never deliberately made a crappy character. They were all average or better, even with some sub-optimal choices.
Average or better - meaning in the top 50% of characters efficiency? You don't need to be that efficient for the game to work wonderfully. As long as the PC isn't woefully inefficient, you can have a great amount of fun.

For example, I've seen an orc wizard that started with a 15 Intelligence and a spellbook he'd stolen from a farmer that was a low level wizard. All of his starting spells and cantrips were the spells that he thought a farmer would want to have to tend to a farm. There were a lot of inventive uses of magic by the wizard. He was not great with combat magic - at first, but grew into a mighty Eldritch Knight over time. I'd say that he was a very inefficient character - especially at very low levels, but he was always a blast.

And you then ask "Which do you think is the best in-combat healing spell?" and then you ask "Which spell do you think recovers the most HP?" as if it's the same question re-worded. It's not, and goodberry is far and away the best in-combat healing spell until at least mid level. Better than Healing Word, better than Healing Spirit, and WAY better than Cure Wounds, and it heals 1 HP.
Okay. I get where you're coming from. I've heard about that playstyle on these boards, but it doesn't bear out in my experiences. In the games I play, clerics are actually casting Cure Wounds in combat, to bring someone from 15 up to 22; and it is sometimes the difference between success or failure in combat.
You missed the point. The point was that comparing Healing Spirit to Prayer of Healing is pointless if Prayer of Healing is a terrible and useless spell, even if Prayer of Healing was the only spell that was supposed to be used for out of combat healing.
That is not my experience. We cast Prayer of Healing fairly regularly, usually while the wizard is ritual casting Detect Magic.

At your game, Healing Spirit may be a welcome relief, because your playstyle doesn't allow for the alternatives. At my game, Healing Spirit is fantastically overpowered, because the existing spells are sufficient for what we need them. (I expect there are also differences between our games in terms of pacing, and encounter difficulty.)

I would also posit that Healing Spirit was designed for the type of game I play, and balanced around the assumption that it would be used during combat, where the trade-off in action economy brings it more into line with Cure Wounds II. It was just designed poorly, because that balancing assumption is so easy to bypass. Unless someone has outside information, though, that will have to remain as speculation.

We cast Prayer of Healing fairly regularly, usually while the wizard is ritual casting Detect Magic.
That's interesting, I haven't heard before of Prayer of Healing getting regular use.

At your game, Healing Spirit may be a welcome relief, because your playstyle doesn't allow for the alternatives.
Not at all, in fact, nobody has even bothered to cast it up to this point. We tend to find rests sufficient for between combat healing, so I end up using 2nd level slots on spells I will get more use out of, like the afforementioned Pass Without Trace. Again, although I think Healing Spirit is a good spell as written (I rated it GREEN in my Xanathar's guide (4/5), which is my "good" rating, but not my best rating), it's nowhere near the most powerful spells for their level.

(I expect there are also differences between our games in terms of pacing, and encounter difficulty.)
Pacing is all over the place in the games I play. It's not uncommon for a single encounter in a day, so between combat healing becomes irrelevant. Encounter difficulty is all over the place too, though who is DM'ing makes a big difference.

It was just designed poorly
Here's my final thoughts for our conversation:
- neither of us know the intentions of the designers, so let's not bother guessing.
- I think a lot of players banned Healing Spirit under the untested assumption it would ruin their game if they allowed it.
- I suspect a lot of those same players allow Polymorph, Animate Objects, Leomund's Tiny Hut, Arcane Eye, Pass Without Trace, Goodberry, Find Familiar, Find Steed, Simulacrum, Contingency and Glyph of Warding.
- If you are worried about Xanathar's power creep from spells, I recommend looking at Find Greater Steed, Soul Cage, Absorb Elements and Thunder Step before worrying about Healing Spirit
- All those spells I mentioned are more powerful for their level than Healing Spirit, and more likely to break their game. I've undoubtedly missed many others.

I began this conversation with this observation about Rope Trick and Healing Spirit:
"I still don't get it, and nobody has been able to explain to me why one of the above spells I describe is absolutely fine, and the other breaks the game."
Considering your last post on the matter was concession that the two spells were probably similar in power level, I think I can safely say that the lack of explaination remains.
For the record (btw), I rated Rope Trick as purple (3/5) in my wizard guide - nowhere near the top of 2nd level spells.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Average or better - meaning in the top 50% of characters efficiency? You don't need to be that efficient for the game to work wonderfully. As long as the PC isn't woefully inefficient, you can have a great amount of fun.

No. Average being the baseline that the game expects PCs to be at, which as you note isn't all that powerful. You can still make a PC that is much weaker than normal and has trouble, but it's actually fairly difficult. Most of the complaints that I have seen about trap options in 3e involved people comparing those options to fully optimized PCs. There were actually very few traps.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
No. Average being the baseline that the game expects PCs to be at, which as you note isn't all that powerful. You can still make a PC that is much weaker than normal and has trouble, but it's actually fairly difficult. Most of the complaints that I have seen about trap options in 3e involved people comparing those options to fully optimized PCs. There were actually very few traps.

I can wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment, and I once played a Truenamer, so I can speak from experience.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
I have a vision of how a session with you might be...

That was pretty funny, I have to admit.

In reality, though, we covered the exact scenario in our game last night. The party decided to Rope Trick short rest after the first room of the dungeon, after fighting just two tiefling guards. (We're playing "Three Faces of Evil" from the Age of Worms adventure path.)

First, we had a civil discussion of what it means to have the 'window' that the PCs can see out of be 'centered on the rope' if the rope has been pulled into the extradimensional space. We decided that the 'window' is fixed in the same location, centered on the space where the rope entered the extradimensional space, even if the rope isn't outside the space anymore. (Other options: the 'window' closes when the rope is pulled into the space, the 'window' remains open and remains centered on the rope, even if the rope is moved within the space. Complicating matters is that the spell is silent on what happens to the rope once it is pulled into the space (is one end still fixed to a given point in the space?), and there is no explicit definition of how large the space is, only how many creatures it can hold.)

The two backup guards came out ten minutes after the party entered the rope trick, examined the area, and pulled their dead colleagues into the temple. They then remained out of sight for roughly 40 minutes -- they were reporting to the priest of Hextor, who deduced that the party was likely hiding out in a rope trick, as the only other exit from the dungeon was to climb up a 200-foot length of chain, but decided that it wasn't worth expending the resources to expose them, preferring to send his tieflings out into the chamber to report when the party emerged from the rope trick so that he could release the temple's giant boar against them.

It might have been fun to send the high priest out into the chamber to dispel the rope trick, but he's a smart guy and would rather face the party on the ground he'd already prepared for their encounter. There's basically zero chance, though, that the party was going to take that temple by surprise.

--
Pauper

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Not to get off-topic, but role-playing means that you make decisions as your character would. If the decision you make as your character is to learn spells that are ten times less effective than the alternative, then the character you are role-playing is a moron.

You know how I like to say that optimization is a bad playstyle because it drives out all other playstyles? This is a great example of that.

--
Pauper

the Jester

Legend
XGtE has a few problematic bits, but it's hardly fair to compare it to the book that was full of stuff like the 1e cavalier, anything items, and the like. The ratio of gold to crap is much higher in Xanathar's, in my judgment.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
You know how I like to say that optimization is a bad playstyle because it drives out all other playstyles? This is a great example of that.

--
Pauper
Yup. Also a great illustration of how the myriad of choices can be an illusion once optimization is a factor...

Remove ads