D&D 5E (Recruiting) Greyhawk Old-School Sandbox-Style Campaign

airwalkrr

Adventurer
When I came up with the idea for Helmut, I had the notion that he would have fought in some border conflicts against the orcs of the Pomarj. I picture him right about 30 years old, so he would have been a veteran during the orc invasion, which fits with his rank of sergeant leading a platoon of soldiers. Looking at the map of Greyhawk, I think that would make the Principality of Ulek his most likely homeland, but I'm not sure what the details are of the orc invasion you mentioned.

Just FYI the Principality of Ulek is a dwarven land. Not many humans live there. The Domain of Greyhawk battles against the Pomarj orcs with a great deal of frequency however. They raid all the way up the Wild Coast.

Schmoe

Adventurer
Just FYI the Principality of Ulek is a dwarven land. Not many humans live there. The Domain of Greyhawk battles against the Pomarj orcs with a great deal of frequency however. They raid all the way up the Wild Coast.

Ok, that works then. Helmut is from the Domain of Greyhawk. For the glory of Greyhawk!

Herobizkit

Adventurer
For Samara, I was also looking at the Ulek region. I'm thinking both she and her mother were born and raised in the Duchy of Ulek. I deliberately left the father vague in case you wanted to spin something that way, but having her father be a minor noble in Celene would add fuel to Samara's Elven angst. Now she dislikes Elves AND nobles. :)

Would you like me to start on stats or is there more you'd like to see beforehand?

airwalkrr

Adventurer
For Samara, I was also looking at the Ulek region. I'm thinking both she and her mother were born and raised in the Duchy of Ulek. I deliberately left the father vague in case you wanted to spin something that way, but having her father be a minor noble in Celene would add fuel to Samara's Elven angst. Now she dislikes Elves AND nobles. :)

Would you like me to start on stats or is there more you'd like to see beforehand?
I think an association with Celene would work best, although the Duchy of Ulek (not to be confused with the Principality of Ulek) could theoretically fit. You could always leave it vague as if Samara's mother never told her the full story. You may roll stats. Use "Samara Renae Ability Scores" as the Name on Invisible Castle.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Incidentally, since Herobizkit asked about the rarity of demi-humans, the three Ulek states are an excellent example of how human/demi-human relationships work in the Flanaess. For a brief period of time all of Ulek swore fealty to Keoland, having been conquered or forced into providing tribute to the Keoish monarch. After a fierce war that against outside aggressors left Keoland weakened, the dwarves of the Principality of Ulek declared themselves independent while the elves of the Duchy of Ulek did the same. The mostly-human County of Ulek seized upon the weakness of the Keoish state to declare their own independence. Although they still maintain normal relations with Keoland and the other Ulek states, they still desire to stand apart as independent nations. The incorporation of demi-human realms into human realms never lasts long in the Flanaess.

On another note, I have the beginning of the Obsidian Portal site ready to go: https://greyhawk-city-of-thieves.obsidianportal.com/ To get into the OP site you will need one of the following: 1) an OP account, 2) a Google+ account, 3) a Facebook account or 4) a Twitter account. Once you sign in to OP, go to my OP profile and send me a friend request. Then I will invite you to the campaign.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Edit: One note to add. By starting with 0 gold, you are effectively limited to a Wretched lifestyle (PH 157-158). You might want to think about that and wait to summon your familiar. At least Davis does not have a terrible Survival skill, but he will rely on that skill or charity to find necessities of life, and a +1 is not much to rely on.
Yeah, I guess I'm used to thinking of adventures that start on the road, so you have a few days rations and sleeping under the stars before you kill a goblin and loot his stuff. From the OP page it looks like we're starting more urban, so I'll take your advice.
Once you sign in to OP, go to my OP profile and send me a friend request. Then I will invite you to the campaign.
Done.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Obsidian Portal invites have been sent to [MENTION=913]Schmoe[/MENTION], [MENTION=36150]Herobizkit[/MENTION], [MENTION=8858]hafrogman[/MENTION], [MENTION=552]Creamsteak[/MENTION], and [MENTION=6787159]Skarsgard[/MENTION]. Next time you log in to OP you should be able to accept the invite. Then you can add your character to the roster. While logged in and on https://greyhawk-city-of-thieves.obsidianportal.com/ click on Characters on the left side of the screen. This will bring up the Characters page. To the right of "Character Quick Search" you will see a + sign. That is the button for adding a new character. Click + then fill out your character's information. Before you leave the page, make sure you click "Create" all the way down at the bottom. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! If you click "Preview" anywhere it does not save your work. Only clicking "Create" will save your work.

OP used to have pre-formatted character sheets as part of the Character page, but I cannot seem to find them at the moment. If you notice where to find them let me know, please!

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I believe that the DM needs to set the system they're using, then create the character, assign the type of character sheet used, then tag it as a Player Character and then transfer ownership of it.

I think.

OP got real fancy and yet harder to use over the years.

Also, I rolled my stats... they're... quite good. I've already adjusted the order.

I didn't want an 18 INT and WIS... and I wasn't sure I could rationalize an 18 STR based on her Acolyte-y background, even if her mom helped train her to be beefy. Still, with a +1 to STR and WIS and +2 to CHA, it's pretty sassy.

STR 15, DEX 18, CON 12, INT 13, WIS 17, CHA 8

I'm very indecisive when it comes to physical stats... thoughts?

Last edited:

Remove ads