Two New Settings For D&D This Year

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc) However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc)

However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

Just to throw another spanner into the works, there's more evidence that Athas was accessible (though not necessarily easily or readily) from the multiverse:

Kalidnay.

Which, for those who don't know, would be the domain of Ravenloft that was taken from Athas, and ruled by a lieutenant of one of the Sorcerer-Kings.

Again, access doesn't mean easy access. It doesn't, in this case, even mean mortal access. And for the record, I personally prefer Athas almost completely isolated, myself. But it's hard to argue the fact that TSR clearly intended accessing Athas from elsewhere to be at least somewhat possible.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, sorry it doesn’t work for me. If gold, iron, water etc can be ported in from beyond then ecological disaster becomes irrelevant. Athas is hell, if things could leave for less sunny climes, they would. In a place where gold is worth 100 times its normal price then 1,000 go becomes 100,000 gp. Apparently the designers/editors or the setting felt so to. I’m not going to bother arguing with you any more because you’re clearly choosing to ignore the official writings that don’t support your view. Do what you like with the setting. It’s old edition at this point so technically it’s all homebrew.

Well, I mean, sure, do what you like: I was discussing what we will be seeing for 5E Dark Sun, sooner or later (and have seen early bits of).

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover
Didn't Planescape and Spelljammer acknowledged the existence of Athas in general D&D multiverse? Like yeah, they made the world harsh and the stuff, but they also linked it to the rest of the product line.

I don't see that as a homebrew stuff if it is acknowledged in official materials...

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I'll do you one better: Dark Sun should be made officially unrelated to Dungeons & Dragons and be its own stand-alone fantasy game ...

Nah...not in favor.

I mean, otherwise Athas is just another D&D setting, abet with a post-apocalypse /desert world vibe, that needs to accommodate most of the mechanics and assumptions in the core rulebooks like every other official setting for D&D does...

Huzzah! Alterations in the accommodation fit my ideas.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
And Dark Sun goes back to one of the core inspirations of D&D - the lurid pulp fiction of the 1910s-1950s, especially Robert E. Howard and Edgar Rice Burroughs (check out the 1st edition DMG). This is something that was there at the start but has been lost over the years.

Quoted for truth.

Remathilis

Legend
You continue to use wild hyperbolae with your anti-Dark Sun propaganda. I'm beginning to think Dark Sun must have run over your dog or something! I don't like Waterdeep, but I'm not saying it should be nuked out of existence so no one else can use the setting. I just won't be buying the books.

The truth is Dark Sun was far closer to the core D&D rules of the time than 5e (Warlocks, Dragonborn, non-Vancian magic), so if Dark Sun shouldn't be called D&D, 5e has no right to the name either.

Sure, it has some tweaks, but that's the thing: THERE IS NO POINT IN PUBLISHING A CAMPAIGN SETTING THAT ISN'T DIFFERENT.

And Dark Sun goes back to one of the core inspirations of D&D - the lurid pulp fiction of the 1910s-1950s, especially Robert E. Howard and Edgar Rice Burroughs (check out the 1st edition DMG). This is something that was there at the start but has been lost over the years.

Dark Sun is the only one of the classic WORLDS OF D&D that repeatedly breaks the game's assumptions. Take a look at the other Non-Realm's settings mentioned in the DMG for a minute:

There is no reason why Oerth could not support everything found in the Core books. It handled everything 3e could throw at it and made it work. Mystara similarly has no strong prohibitions on what is or isn't allowed; a 5e conversion could fit everything into it just fine. Dragonlance during 3e found room for every option but half-orcs (and halflings, but kender are just extreme halflings anyways these days) so I don't see why that would be different in 5e. Ravenloft did the exact same thing in 3e; finding room for everything but half-orcs (poor half-orcs) but replacing them with a similar race called Calliban. Birthright hasn't seen formal update since 2e, but based on the limited amount I know if it, PCs had no restrictions and I'm not sure there would be any needed in 5e. Eberron famously declared "if it exists in D&D, it exists in Eberron" and between the 3e and 4e versions found homes for most everything in the core books. Planescape and Spelljammer can literally pull from anywhere. Nobody claims these settings are the same, but each takes the core elements of the game and puts their own spin on them.

So far, every setting in D&D so far has managed to adapt the the current edition, or has the potential to, into the setting. And then their's Dark Sun. Dark Sun has tried; once by Paizo in 3.5 and again by WotC during 4e, to drag Athas kicking and screaming into the modern ruleset of the time. Paizo found room for everything but half-orcs (man, they need a better agent!) and all the classes in the PHB and XPH (even paladins). 4e made room for arcane bards, tieflings, warlocks, dragonborn, and a lot of other Core rules options. And in both cases, hardcore fans have had issues with "ruining the setting" by trying to make it agree with the most recent edition of D&D rules. Dark Sun has been the biggest problem because, unlike every other setting, fans cannot accept it moving beyond the 2e box set assumptions. Which keeps putting it as the sore thumb sticking out. Every other setting can play nice with Planescape if you want it to; Dark Sun doesn't. Every other setting can absorb a new supplement and use much if not all of its options; Dark Sun cannot. Every other setting uses the PHB with minimal adaptation, Dark Sun doesn't. Every other setting expands the potential options for players, Dark Sun shrinks them.

At a certain point, the fact that Dark Sun has such a hard time doing what every other major D&D setting has, it starts to look like an issue with the setting itself.

It doesn't need to, of course. Primeval Thule has much of that Conan-pulp world feel with few if any changes to the core rules. DS 3e and 4e (as stated) has shown Athas doesn't break with including spellcasting bards or paladins. Its the dogmatic adherence to the 2e assumptions must be preserved at all costs that sinks the ship. If Dark Sun can adapt to 5e and use the Core rules like every other D&D setting does, I welcome it with open arms. But if the setting MUST be one that cannot abide monks, tieflings, or anything else that has been part of Core D&D since 2000, then maybe its best served spun off into its own thing.

Remathilis

Legend
You continue to use wild hyperbolae with your anti-Dark Sun propaganda. I'm beginning to think Dark Sun must have run over your dog or something! I don't like Waterdeep, but I'm not saying it should be nuked out of existence so no one else can use the setting. I just won't be buying the books.

The truth is Dark Sun was far closer to the core D&D rules of the time than 5e (Warlocks, Dragonborn, non-Vancian magic), so if Dark Sun shouldn't be called D&D, 5e has no right to the name either.

Sure, it has some tweaks, but that's the thing: THERE IS NO POINT IN PUBLISHING A CAMPAIGN SETTING THAT ISN'T DIFFERENT.

Also, if you want to know what fuels my disdain, a perfect example is right here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?644882-Darksun-Character-Generation-Half-Giant

That encompasses perfectly why Dark Sun needs to adapt to 5e's core rules OR be its own game.

TheSword

Legend
Didn't Planescape and Spelljammer acknowledged the existence of Athas in general D&D multiverse? Like yeah, they made the world harsh and the stuff, but they also linked it to the rest of the product line.

I don't see that as a homebrew stuff if it is acknowledged in official materials...

In Defilers and Preservers of Athas’ isolation was explained by the grey, a Demi plane that surrounds Athas and traps all its souls (as described in the Prism Pentad series). Rules were laid out showing it was difficult to reach Athas but not impossible. So yes Athas is definitely linked to the multiverse albeit remotely... there were also other more reliable methods for traveling at least on portal to the Astral and the Planar Mirror artifact.

Some people have said, because they don’t like the Defilers and Preservers supplement that it doesn’t apply and travel to Athas is the same as any other plane *slaps forehead*. Hence me saying if they want to play it that way they can homebrew it any way they like.

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover
Well, that makes sense. In 4e was the same. You were able to go to Dark Sun from other planes, but it was really hard because of the Grey.

I am with [MENTION=7635]Remathilis[/MENTION]. I don't understand why people cannot acknowledge a Dark Sun that evolves alongside D&D. I said it before, some rules must be adapted when older settings are converted to a new edition, but for that to work, the setting also needs to adapt to the new rules.

Staffan

Legend
In Defilers and Preservers of Athas’ isolation was explained by the grey, a Demi plane that surrounds Athas and traps all its souls (as described in the Prism Pentad series). Rules were laid out showing it was difficult to reach Athas but not impossible. So yes Athas is definitely linked to the multiverse albeit remotely... there were also other more reliable methods for traveling at least on portal to the Astral and the Planar Mirror artifact.

Some people have said, because they don’t like the Defilers and Preservers supplement that it doesn’t apply and travel to Athas is the same as any other plane *slaps forehead*. Hence me saying if they want to play it that way they can homebrew it any way they like.

Look, if you want to have your Athas isolated, I'm not going to stop you. My point is that it's by no means a make-or-break thing for the setting. Environmentally hazardous wizardry, yes. Psionics, hell yes. Crappy gear, probably, though I'd be OK with making it a cosmetic thing for balance reasons. Higher stats, nah. Planar isolation, nah. No gods granting powers, definitely.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads