See Live Action D&D Cartoon Characters In This Car Commercial

A Brazilian commercial for a new Renault car has used some iconic imagery from the 1980s Dungeons & Dragons cartoon series, depicting the characters of Hank the Ranger, Eric the Cavalier, Diana the Acrobat, Presto the Magician, Shiela the Thief, and Bobby the Barbarian with real actors. Scroll down for the actual commercial.

dnd_renault.jpg

r1.jpg

r2.jpg

r3.jpg

r4.jpg

r5.jpg

r6.jpg

Cartoon 1.jpg

The Originals

[video=youtube;opLyqJdirK8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opLyqJdirK8[/video]

carlosrosas

Explorer
The only downside about this commercial here in Brazil is that people don’t relate the cartoon, which here is called Caverna do Dragão (Dragon’s Cave), to the game. Also because we only got D&D in Portuguese here by the early 90s, and the title was never translated to Portuguese, it is called “Dungeons & Dragons” here in Brazil. It also didn’t achieve at that time the desired commercial success, and we only got it again by the 3rd edition. So, when the cartoon was airing people had no idea what D&D, or RPGs, were. However the cartoon here was freaking huge in the 80s, I think it is still aired these days. It is quite funny actually, people used to dress as the characters for carnival, halloween, costume parties, people loved these stories and characters, and they had no clue about the game, for many many years, and still today for most of the population, it is just a cartoon.

Tazawa

Adventurer
Heh, no. While it would be cool, that's not what is happening.

Nothing more than a very cool Brazilian car commercial. With the additional footage seen in Bedir Than's link, we might get a series of commercials, or maybe even a long-form commercial, but not an actual movie.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's unlikely Renault even has the license from . . . well, however holds the rights to the cartoon. I bet none of the commercials or footage mentions "D&D" or any of the kids names. Although, since I don't speak Brazilian, I can't be sure.

Sigh.

Unfortunately I think you are right. I read a bunch of translated Brazilian nerd websites and it appears that this was a one off for Renault in Brazil.

They probably do have a license. They did a Hulk themed commercial in 2017 that used the same CGI as the Marvel movies. Hopefully whoever handled the licensing takes notice of what a good job they did and tries to build on it.

Aephix

Villager
The final commercial has been posted to YouTube...
[video=youtube;kC9-bfsNne8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC9-bfsNne8[/video]

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases