D&D 5E Is Dragons of Stormwreck Isle Based on the 80s D&D Cartoon?

We've known about the new starter set for D&D, Dragons of Stormwreck Isle, for some time, but we've known precious little about the boxed set. The folks over at comic book.com have a theory, though -- they posit that the adventure is based on the 1980s Dungeons & Dragon cartoon. Looking closely at the cover art (which is very blurry) it looks a lot like Hank the ranger with his energy bow...

We've known about the new starter set for D&D, Dragons of Stormwreck Isle, for some time, but we've known precious little about the boxed set.

The folks over at comic book.com have a theory, though -- they posit that the adventure is based on the 1980s Dungeons & Dragon cartoon. Looking closely at the cover art (which is very blurry) it looks a lot like Hank the ranger with his energy bow, and Diana the acrobat leaping over the dragon's lightning breath, while the one piece of interior art we can see features somebody with a glowing shield -- the signature magic item of Eric the cavalier in the cartoon.

Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 11.15.09 PM.png

But that's not the only clue! WotC has been teasing the cartoon in various social media posts over the last couple of weeks, as has D&D Beyond.

The cartoon ran in the 1980s and featured a group of children who found themselves in the magic world of Dungeons & Dragons, and were granted magical items by the mysterious Dungeon Master. Those children became Hank the ranger, Eric the cavalier, Diana the acrobat, Presto the magician, Shelia the thief, and Bobby the barbarian. The show also featured Uni the unicorn, plus the Dungeon Master, the villain Venger, and, of course Tiamat the 5-headed dragon.

dungeons-dragons-cartoon-header.jpg

A couple of years ago, a Brazilian car commercial featured a live action version of the D&D cartoon heroes.

kapars

Adventurer
This can't be only a revival of the D&D cartoon, maybe in Disney+, but so many references to the 80's show can't be only a reboot or spin-off. Here the goal is to revive the merchancising about the old show

A hypothesis could be really DM's pupils returned to home, and later they arrived to the Realm by a different way, because they didn't want to ride in a amusement park atraction ever again.

A partnership with Capcom for a new videogame? Today the market is not so interested into a third of "shadow over Mystara".
It’s as good as it has been in a long time. Streets of Rage 4 did well and the new Turtles game in the same style is highly anticipated. The people that made Dragon’s Crown also need something to work on with 13 Sentinels released.

Igor Mendonça

Explorer
This cartoon is VERY popular here in Brazil. It is part of the nostalgic feeling of those who were children both in the 80s and 90s. Kind of top 5 (with He-man and Thundercats being obviously the top ones).

You can talk to almost any person, even "no-nerds" with these ages, and they will recognize at least Eric and Mestre dos Magos (Dungeon Master). BTW, the last episode is kind of an urban legend around here, and we made a comic version of the actual series finale.

More trivia:
"Mestre dos magos" literally means "Master of the wizards". It isn't how we Brazilians call a DM. We usually say just "mestre" ("master") or "narrador" ("storyteller"), this last one thanks to the huge success Vampire the Masquerade had in the 90s.

The cartoon itself was called "Caverna do Dragão", literally "Dragon's cave". This isn't how we call D&D as well. We say "D&D", or "Dungeons and Dragons" in English.

The comic book (in Portuguese"): O verdadeiro final de A Caverna do Dragão em quadrinhos

(I have the feeling that these things were posted several times in this forum...)

Igor Mendonça

Explorer
It was continually broadcasted in Brazil from 1986-2014! I myself was a kid in the 90's, and have grown watching it. I started playing RPG on 1998, and didn't know its relationship with the cartoon until years after it. hahha

1650294181598.png

darjr

I crit!
It was continually broadcasted in Brazil from 1986-2014! I myself was a kid in the 90's, and have grown watching it. I started playing RPG on 1998, and didn't know its relationship with the cartoon until years after it. hahha

View attachment 155534
That’s amazing! I know the D&D game days WotC hosts has had a growing international attendance, no small part of that being from Brazil. I wonder if that played a part?

oh! There was a thread.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads