Druid subclass: Circle of the Warden

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
This is my 1st draft (at least my first draft that I'm sharing) of a warden subclass for the druid. Feel free to submit some constructive feedback.

You might think it should have been a barbarian or ranger subclass but I wanted it to be druid.

Druids gain wildshape at 2nd level alongside their subclass which makes it a prime candidate for alteration. In this subclass, I've removed the druid's standard wildshape ability and replaced it with Primal Form. I'm aware this might irk some people due to 5e's general trend of adding to, not removing abilities.

As this was a 4e class, I looked through the powers to look for ideas for abilities. The forms are a major component so I took ideas from them and gave the warden 4 forms to choose from when shifting I tried to give an offensive, defensive, mobility, and control form. I have also given thought of adapting the subclass to be similar to the totem barbarian and having a basic primal form at level 2 which gains an enhancement at level 6, 10, and 14.

Circle of the Warden
The druids of the circle of the warden give up their wildshape ability to draw upon primal forms of elemental power to defend their sacred glens.

Primal Form
At 2nd level you do not gain wildshape. In place of wildshape, you gain the ability to use your bonus action to assume a form of primal power to enhance your combat abilities for 1 minute. You can use this feature twice. You regain expended uses when you finish a short or long rest.

Form of Storm’s Thunder. On your turn, when you hit with a melee attack, you deal an extra 1d6 thunder damage. This increases to a d8 at 5th level, d10 at 11th level, and a d12 at 17th level.
Form of the Avalanche Unleashed. You have resistance to cold. The area within 10 feet of you is considered difficult terrain by other creatures. On a successful melee attack, a target must make a Strength saving throw against your spell DC or be knocked prone.
Form of Stone’s Endurance. When you assume a primal form, you gain resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.
Form of the Sirocco. While in your primal form, you increase your speed by 10 feet and you have advantage on Dexterity (acrobatics) checks and Dexterity saving throws. When you use the attack action you can use your bonus action to make an extra attack.

Extra Attack
At 6th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the attack action on your turn.

Unstoppable Force
At 10th level, the Warden can make a saving throw against any one ongoing effect, such as a hold person spell, at the start of their turn. If the saving throw is successful, the effect ends before the warden suffers any adverse effects. The warden still makes saving throws against effects at the end of their turn as normal.

Form of Earth’s Beneficence
At 14th level, while in your primal form, you regenerate 2 + your Wisdom modifier in hit points at the start of each of your turns if you are below half health.

Last edited:

eayres33

Explorer
I haven't went over it in detail or compared it's powers to the wildshape feature, but I love the general idea. Besides the Inquisitor the Warden is the one class I want to see in 5E. Being a druid fits the Warden's fluff and replacing wildshape gives it a great powerbase to draw from.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I haven't went over it in detail or compared it's powers to the wildshape feature, but I love the general idea. Besides the Inquisitor the Warden is the one class I want to see in 5E. Being a druid fits the Warden's fluff and replacing wildshape gives it a great powerbase to draw from.

I really do like the idea of the warden's forms and how they channel different primal aspects and after reading the warden over the last couple of days, I felt that they were really the core concept of the class (over and above it's role as a defender) and trying to fit it into a 5e subclass while still retaining the feel is the challenge. The subclass gives another option to the spellcaster land druid and the animal form moon druid by adding a melee version of the druid that makes use of a shield and can make better use of melee weapons.

As I've noted in my OP, I may change it up and create smaller aspects that enhance a base primal form in a fashion similar to the totem barbarian's totems enhancing their rage, although I think I like it better with the druid having individual forms to choose from as it allows them to adjust to encounter.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Big fan of the Warden. I Like the feel of this one.

Did you think about an oak form or something similar?

Also to bring out the tankiness/defender feel what are your thoughts on raising/gaining hit points/die/temps?

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
I like it. One of my favorite PCs in my 4e days was a dwarven Storm Warden.

That guy might just see a conversion to 5e now.

Grazie, cbwjm!

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Big fan of the Warden. I Like the feel of this one.

Did you think about an oak form or something similar?

Also to bring out the tankiness/defender feel what are your thoughts on raising/gaining hit points/die/temps?

I didn't think of an oak form, I mainly got ideas from looking through the warden powers and then adjusting some of the forms to fit within the 5e framework. They are definitely something which can be expanded with additional forms being added for the warden to learn. There could be a level requirement (prefer not to have one though) or they could start with 2 or 3 forms and then be able to choose more as they level up.

For the tankiness, I did think of doing something similar to the dragon sorcerer which grants +1 hit point/level. This would bring them up to a d10 hit die equivalent. It would certainly help them survive in melee by giving them just a little more of a hit point buffer. This works, does what it needs to, but it kind of isn't too interesting. Although I guess the more interesting parts of the warden are the forms. I probably wouldn't increase the size of their hit dice, but the idea of them gaining temp. hit points could be interesting. Perhaps Wisdom modifier (min. 1) temp hit points at the start of their turn.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I like it. One of my favorite PCs in my 4e days was a dwarven Storm Warden.

That guy might just see a conversion to 5e now.

Grazie, cbwjm!

I'm glad you like it. I'm still mining the 4e class powers and paragon paths for ideas so I will likely be expanding on the subclass.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Although I wasn't thinking of the Sentinel feat, I was thinking of a blocker. Being able to halve the enemy move rate could help hold a corridor. When looking through the forms in 4e, I was looking for ideas for forms of control, movement, damage, and defence so that there would be a few different forms to choose from, each filling a slightly different niche.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
I'm working on getting this Circle feature more in line with the descriptions in Wild Shape, and find myself in need of other some feedback on what I'm working up.

Primal Form
At 2nd level you do not gain wild shape. In place of wild shape, you gain the ability to use your bonus action to assume a form of primal power to enhance your combat abilities for 1 minute. The number of times you can assume a primal form is shown in the wild shape column of the Druid table in the Player’s Handbook.

There is no Wild Shape column in the Druid Table. Instead, the feature states that you can transform 2 times, but once both transformations have been used, you need to take a short or long rest to regain the ability to transform. I'm thinking we should just use that language.

In Wild Shape, the Beast Shapes table (re-labeled Primal Forms below) shows a real disconnect with changing into primal forms (I guess that's why [MENTION=6788732]cbwjm[/MENTION] called it a "1st draft," eh?) of the Circle of the Warden.

Primal Forms
Level Max. CR Limitations Example
2nd 1/4 No fly or swim speed Wolf
4th 1/2 No fly speed Crocodile
8th 1 - Eagle

Now, a hint of a direction to go shows up immediately in Form of Storm's Thunder (with a bit of added fluff inspired by the 4e class descriptions) below:

Form of Storm’s Thunder
Tendrils of mist drift around you, flickering with light, as faint rumbles of distant thunder emanate from your body.
On your turn, when you hit with a melee attack, you deal an extra 1d6 thunder damage. This increases to a d8 at 5th level, d10 at 11th level, and a d12 at 17th level.

Here, cbwjm added class-level specific increases to the damage in the spirit of cantrip-type increases, while keeping the increases lower than cantrip increases in keeping with other kinds of class/archetype features (nicely done, btw). I assume that those increases are class-specific, anyway.

So, my questions become:

1) Should each of the forms gain similar class-level specific improvements?

2) I'd like to keep Storm's Thunder as cbwjm proposed it, but should the other forms gain improvements at the same levels as Storm's Thunder, or at the class levels as shown in the Beast Shapes table? Should any improvements be tied instead to the standard feature levels of the druid circles?

3) The improvements in Wild Shape come fairly quickly, starting at 2nd, then building up at 4th and 8th levels, tied to Maximum CR. Since the warden doesn't change into beasts, there are no Challenge Ratings to apply to the forms. Is there some other kind of level-balancing mechanism we can apply to form improvements?

4) The druid/warden doesn't gain the benefits of having two sets of hit points (the PC's race/class and the beast-shape) or the beast's attacks, but it does have the benefit of being able to continue wielding weapons and casting spells while in Primal Form. That seems good enough to me. Are there other considerations I'm missing on this?

5) Is there some level where the druid/warden could gain the ability to manifest two (or more) primal forms at the same time?

Below, I show the other three primal forms cbwjm proposed with added fluff taken straight from 4e, plus one level improvement I thought of for Form of Stone's Endurance.

Form of the Avalanche Unleashed
You take on a resilient shell of rock and ice even as your presence on the battlefield slows your foes.
You have resistance to cold. The area within 10 feet of you is considered difficult terrain by other creatures. On a successful melee attack, a target must make a Strength saving throw against your spell DC or be knocked prone.

Form of Stone’s Endurance
Your body becomes a fusion of flesh and rough stone, invigorated by your connection to the earth.
When you assume a primal form, you gain resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.
Also, when you reach 8th level in this class, while in this primal form you can add your Constitution modifier to your AC.

Form of the Sirocco
A haze of sand surrounds you, protecting you from harm and letting you move like a blinding desert wind.
While in your primal form, you increase your speed by 10 feet and you have advantage on Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks and Dexterity saving throws. When you use the attack action you can use your bonus action to make an extra attack.

Last edited:

Remove ads