Two New Settings For D&D This Year

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc) However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc)

However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

CapnZapp

Legend
Despite the unsatisfactory elf magic, all these features are Forgotten Realms.
I've already agreed the actual world of Cerilia is nothing to write home about.

But a campaign setting is more than that. It's completely unfair to Birthright to only compare lands and elves, when Birthright is its completely own beast with its domain and monster ruler concepts.

I emphatically renounce the notion Birthright is like a Forgotten Realms copy.

It depends what you mean by "different". Birthright is still a genericfantasyland, all be it with some differences to FR.

The way it is designed to be played is what is actually different. In effect, its a kingdom level management sim.

But you could take the kingdom level management sim rules and port them to FR without much difficulty.

Consider what the Kingmaker adventure path is to Golarion.

NiClerigo

Adventurer
The names in Xanathars Guide are *reallife* names, referring to *reallife* nationalities by name: ‘Greek, Roman, Celtic, Arabic’, etcetera. Jews/Israelis/Israelites are absent.

As you know, many names, from David to Adam to Gabriel, are Jewish names. Plus, the actual names in Hebrew sound cool, and like Gavriél can connote angelic flavor.

But in that regard, names from many other cultures are absent too -mine included. I agree that Hebrew names sound cool, but so do others. If one interprets the book in good faith, given book space constraints, in my opinion there is nothing against any of those cultures, and it would be -with due respect- paranoid to claim otherwise absent specific evidence. Moreover, everyone would be entitled to claim their names ought to be included, something not feasible.

Consider this. You can travel through a portal to Sigil from the Forgotten Realms. You can jump on a Spelljammer ship in Skullport.

Ergo, Planescape and Spelljammer are not separate settings to the Forgotten Realms, they are expansions of the FR setting.

Once you have Spelljammer, you could travel from the Forgotten Realms to Krynn, Arthas (I know, it's a retcon to canon), Eberonn etc. Thus, they also become a part of the Forgotten Realms setting.

Ergo, this is actually a plot for the Forgotten Realms to take over the multiverse.

CapnZapp

Legend
It depends what you mean by "different". Birthright is still a genericfantasyland, all be it with some differences to FR.

The way it is designed to be played is what is actually different. In effect, its a kingdom level management sim.

But you could take the kingdom level management sim rules and port them to FR without much difficulty.

Until you do, it is not FR.

And I wouldn't say "without much difficulty". Actual economic rules, yes.

But what about creating a domain overlay? That's a huge task. Don't say the individual DM can quickly whip something up just to delude yourself Birthright is a FR clone.

And what about monster rulers? You really can't just add that and pretend it doesn't massively mess up Realms history.

No, Birthright is not a FR clone, because you really can't do the things Birthright offered in FR.

WotC could take the ideas from Birthright and apply them to the Realms, of course. But until they do, there simply is zero merit to the idea.

NiClerigo

Adventurer

I disagree -and my favorite setting is Eberron. Flavor-wise, Birthright is the only setting with an actual medieval feel in social -feudal-, religious and other terms, and elven culture is quite different and more mysterious. The Realms, encompassing so many flavors, lack its cohesion and are not truly medieval. Birthright is the only setting close enough to the feel of Game of Thrones in terms of both flavor and mechanics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=6906155]Paul Farquhar[/MENTION] "...Arthas (I know, it's a retcon to canon),... "

I hope not.

Although if i imagine some Drizzt entering Athas by crashing his spelljammer within the cannibal halfling jungle .....

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
The point is, Birthright is NOT a campaign setting. It's kingdom management minigame.
The fact that the kingdom management minigame could be ported (with effort) into another campaign world doesn't change the fact that Cerilia is an independent setting specifically built to support the assumptions and flavor of that minigame. Cerilia <> Faerun <> Golarian <> Greyhawk <> Mystara, despite them all being generic medieval campaign settings with a mish-mash of kingdoms.

Aldarc

Legend
Consider this. You can travel through a portal to Sigil from the Forgotten Realms. You can jump on a Spelljammer ship in Skullport.

Ergo, Planescape and Spelljammer are not separate settings to the Forgotten Realms, they are expansions of the FR setting.

Once you have Spelljammer, you could travel from the Forgotten Realms to Krynn, Arthas (I know, it's a retcon to canon), Eberonn etc. Thus, they also become a part of the Forgotten Realms setting.

Ergo, this is actually a plot for the Forgotten Realms to take over the multiverse.
Sorta, but where I will defend the Realms is that its cosmology (from what I recall) did not initially uphold the Great Wheel - the sort of sacred cosmology of Planescape - but, instead, it had its own World Tree Cosmology.

The point is, Birthright is NOT a campaign setting. It's kingdom management minigame.
Sure, but only in as much as D&D is not a roleplaying game but just a miniatures wargame.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads