Help with Moon Druid forms

Radaceus

Adventurer
Currently playing 9th level Moon Druid.

We also use the same rule your DM is using ( it was my instigation, being of the forest, I started with that chart from XGtE). We are playing in Dungeon of the Mad Mage, so Waterdeep being a huge city, I've been allowed to study new forms at zoos and libraries when I've had the downtime.

Dire Wolf was my go to more than Brown Bear, because of Pack Tactics, and it had the best AC. Brown Bear was good early on if I was front lining and not assisting our tank (multiattack at 2nd level is nice!). I still use the Dire Wolf, or if outdoors an Eagle for the movement. Dire wolf can move 50' and jump 17', it allows me to get around and over into flanking positions, as well as noping out when necessary

my other choices:

• Giant Constrictor Snake ( if you have room) is nice for the Grapple effect, and for absorbing some damage, good for big water areas. Nice HP, but low AC, i try to combo this with Barkskin or Stoneskin if able.
  • Giant Toad, swimming, jumping, engulfing, poisoning, whats not to like?...
  • Giant Spider for scouting back up with rogue.
  • Giant Elk, also huge, but charging and knocking prone, or in conjunction with monks flurry of blows, or a shove action, can use its hooves for extra damage
  • Giant Wasp( note: need to be 8th level to fly) for AoE concentration ( Warding Wind, Call Lightning, Insect Plague*, etc) combo, staying up out of reach and being a nuisance, dangerous though due to low HP of the wasp; suggest locating a nice place to stay out of harms way...
  • possibly my favorite is the Giant Scorpion, large, decent AC, and it has two attacks, the claws which can grapple and then the tail which can sting. you can essentially grapple two different targets, one in each claw. as well as, you can combo a shove action to knock one of your grappled targets prone and then tail attack sting with advantage ( or any other in the turn order getting an attack on the prone creature with advantage)

* my Druid has obtained a Staff of Swarming insects, thus the Insect Plague spell. it also has very nice 1 charge ability of Insect Cloud, which is harmless, but creates a heavily obscured area of small flying (harmless) insects, I used this in conjunction with the Giant Wasp form , to fly up on top of a pillar and just be a nuisance to the enemy :). Surprised my DM dropped it into a treasure list!

Last edited:

Shiroiken

Legend
We had our Moon Druid in our 1st 5E game stick with bear forms for a long time without issue (she named the character Ursa with this in mind). Once you have access to flight, the Giant Eagle is also really good, mostly due to mobility (put a PC on your back). Without having dinos, you are *slightly* behind the power curve, but unless this is a game of pure min-max powergaming (where the DM is trying to kill you constantly), it really shouldn't be that much of an issue.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
[*]Giant Spider for scouting back up with rogue.

As one of the only beast forms with a ranged attack (and it's a good ranged attack), and spider climbing, and a primary attack which does good damage (if the target fails the poison save), and a decent AC I think the Giant Spider is one of the better overall forms.

Remove ads