D&D 5E Thinking of throwing a girl at one of my players

Lanliss

Explorer
One of my Players will be playing a small twist on the classic Knight in shining armor, going for a super charismatic arena duelist, with very lofty ideas of what a Knight should be capable of. I am planning for there to be a possibility of her getting an accidental follower if she is particularly awesome in a fight. I am thinking of the girl being good at one given "house-wifey" skill, like cooking, sewing, or patching up wounds, and bad at another. There is also the possibility, should the Player turn the girl away, that the girl will eventually come back as a potential problem, but that is long game thinking and not too relevant right now. I was wondering if anyone had any other tips, like how to handle this in combat, and whether or not I should make the girl a liability?

EDIT: I realized I had cooking listed twice in her skills... I am hungry, ignore me.

Last edited:

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Name her Scrappy Doo and see how long she survives.

D&D doesn't need annoying sidekicks, IMO.

Are you familiar with Xena? What about making her more of a Gabrielle. Having the little girl be a bard and storyteller. Almost a squire, but more interested in hero stories and the myth, believing folk stories of adventurers.

Lanliss

Explorer
Are you familiar with Xena? What about making her more of a Gabrielle. Having the little girl be a bard and storyteller. Almost a squire, but more interested in hero stories and the myth, believing folk stories of adventurers.

hehe, excellent foresight. My player already plans on training her as a squire over time. I was just looking for tips on how to start her off, since a common girl won't have much beyond household skills or maybe some farming.

EDIT: also, "girl" in this case means female of undetermined age, not necessarily something like a 10 year old "little girl".

Last edited:

Improvised weapon; range 20/60; 1d4 bludgeoning damage

Disturbingly, he's actually throwing her at one of his players.

DM: 'Hey Mark, ready for the session this afternoon... I have a surprise for you'
Mark: 'Yeah man, looking forward t... hang on, who's she?'
DM: 'Surprise!' (sounds of a something heavy being thrown, voices screaming)

Riley37

First Post
So... does this woman *want* to be given to a knight? If the knight turns her away, does she remain the slave of the person who gave her to the knight, or can she go her own way? Is she waiting for an opportunity to escape?

Giving humans as gifts, or prizes for a competition, did sometimes happen in the Middle Ages, but it would raise alignment questions in some D&D settings.

Remove ads