D&D 5E On Past Tenses and Paladins

What is the proper past tense of smite (in divine smite)?

• Smote.

Votes: 45 77.6%
  • Smited.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Smitten.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Smiting.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Smat.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Circumlocution (I used divine smite).

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Doesn't matter. You shouldn't play a Paladin.

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • I don't answer polls unless they slander gnomes.

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Poll closed .

BoldItalic

First Post
Oh, the confusion. What if the fair damsel falls in love with the Paladin, as well?*

She goes back to the townfolk and says, "I am smitten by the Paladin!"

Should they react with outrage because he smote her?
Here, I think, we are on safer ground. There is an important difference between her saying "I am smitten by the paladin" and "I am smitten with the paladin".

Unless an ogre picked up the paladin and used him as an improvised weapon to bludgeon the unfortunate maiden (and who could blame him?), in which case she would indeed have been smitten with a paladin.

Tricky stuff, words.

Last edited:

manduck

Explorer
As someone who plays paladins, I'm smitten with smiting. I'm going with Smote as the proper past tense. It sounds smooth and refreshing.

Also, I never humblebrag about smiting. I just full on brag about smiting. It's not a subtle ability, so I'm never subtle about it. Really, the rest of the party is lucky that they get to bear witness to my greatness. I humblebrag about being able to summon a magical horse while the rest of the party has to walk like a bunch of chumps. So when the appropriate poll about Summon Mount shows up, I'll contribute more.

BoldItalic

First Post
Also, one sounds really funny (smote) and one rhymes with kitten.
Hmm. It's a slippery slope once you start appealing to rhymes. Smite rhymes with fight, so it ought to be smorte to rhyme with fought. Although actually, "Sir Ector smorte his foes." sounds quite good.

There is an Italian word smorte, though, meaning something like "having gone white in the face". So if Sir Ector's foes did indeed blanche when he <smote> them, that's a double win.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Here, I think, we are on safer ground. There is an important difference between her saying "I am smitten by the paladin" and "I am smitten with the paladin".

Unless an ogre picked up the paladin and used him as an improvised weapon to bludgeon the unfortunate maiden (and who could blame him?), in which case she would indeed have been smitten with a paladin.

Tricky stuff, words.

If the Ogre in question had Paladin levels could the unfortunate maiden in question have been simultaneously smitten with a paladin, and smote by a paladin?

Quartz

Hero
Just to back up [MENTION=6785802]guachi[/MENTION], according to the Shorter OED p2885, smote is the past tense, smitten is the past participle, and a smiter is someone who smites.

The OED lists the origin as the Old English smitan, with similar words in Old Frisian, Old Saxon, Middle Low German, and more.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So while reading another thread about Paladins, I got to thinking about smiting. Because OF COURSE the Paladin in the party is going to be smiting, and OF COURSE that Paladin is going to be #humblebragging about the smiting- because he's a Paladin. After all, Paladins run on inflated charisma and smug.

So the question is, how should the Paladin properly #humblebrag when recounting his tales of smiting yet another beast. You know, "Yada yada yada and then I used my Divine Smite* on Tiamat yada yada yada ..."

I ask this for the following reasons-

1. Because I'm a pedant.

2. Because I wanted to get the opinion of a Fellowship of Pedants.

3. Because I wanted to annoy people that play Paladins by correcting them.

Anyway, I thought of the following variations (along with a poll!)-

A. Smote.
B. Smited.
C. Smitten.
D. Smiting.
E. Smat.
F. Circumlocution (In the past, I used divine smite on Tiamat, and it was awesome!).
G. Doesn't matter. You shouldn't play a Paladin.

*Because all stories involving Paladins necessarily involve divine smite.

My other Gnome Paladin, Corwin Nuada Bartholomew Gregor Pietr Fundlesmacht Niall Frankinburt Fogglesmyth Vanderbeak is beginning to grow tired of you slanderbeaking her good name, Low Key One Three.

guachi

Hero
Now I have to make a Paladin and always attempt to use the past participle of smite.

And make him a tabaxi (or Rakasta) and name him Smitten Kitten.

Remove ads