D&D 5E Does Rope Trick Heal?

Does Rope Trick Heal?

• Yes

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 90.0%

I'm a little torn on the "Short Rest" part of the argument. To answer the OP specifically, no Rope Trick does not heal. Healing can take place (potentially) after using Rope Trick, but the spell does not in and of itself heal, so...I guess that answers that.

As for the Rules as Written, I would say that if a Short Rest is at least 1 hour long, and Rope Trick lasts one hour, but takes some non-zero amount of time to enter the space, then by default a Short Rest cannot take place inside of the Rope Trick pocket. By the rules it would be technically impossible to gain a Short Rest by using Rope Trick unless it instantaneously teleports you inside of the extradimensional space.

As for the "You can use a 3' rope instead of 60' so you don't have to climb," I agree 100%. However if this is done in a combat situation, it is very likely enemies would notice people disappearing into nothingness while crouching then jumping in a certain spot, and depending on what the enemy is they would probably be able to figure out what's going on. Rope Trick never specifies that the creatures must be allowed into the space. That's the whole point of being able to pull the rope up: to deny entry. If the hole is 3' off the ground or whatever, then any orc or Mad Mage or whoever can just walk over and stick their head up into the space. Surely this opens them up to attack, but depending on HP they could certainly get into the space or cast a spell/use an attack while standing up into the space created.

Another question is What happens when the space exceeds carrying capacity? Is it like a Bag of Holding and bursts, releasing its contents? Or is there simply just no additional room for more than 8 creatures and any more physically cannot fit? If it's the first, then if 3 or 4 or so enemies jump into your 3' rope trick space, the spell would end and you would assuredly not get a Short Rest. If the second, well you just better hope no one sticking their head up into the space can cast "Fireball" or anything else that does a significant AOE damage, otherwise your less-than or equal to 8 member party is in big trouble.

In summary, I guess I would probably hand-wave the fact that as written it is impossible to get a Short Rest out of Rope Trick, as I feel that it is probably what it was designed for, and say a Short Rest, instead of being EXACTLY 1 hour is just around 1 hour, so 55 minutes of resting gains the benefits of a Short Rest. I don't think that would be breaking the game, but I could be wrong. However in combat against intelligent enemies (or unintelligent enemies with a good sense of smell that stand over 3' tall) I would say casting the 3' version of Rope Trick to get a Short Rest could be...problematic.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I'm a little torn on the "Short Rest" part of the argument. To answer the OP specifically, no Rope Trick does not heal. Healing can take place (potentially) after using Rope Trick, but the spell does not in and of itself heal, so...I guess that answers that.

As for the Rules as Written, I would say that if a Short Rest is at least 1 hour long, and Rope Trick lasts one hour, but takes some non-zero amount of time to enter the space, then by default a Short Rest cannot take place inside of the Rope Trick pocket. By the rules it would be technically impossible to gain a Short Rest by using Rope Trick unless it instantaneously teleports you inside of the extradimensional space.

As for the "You can use a 3' rope instead of 60' so you don't have to climb," I agree 100%. However if this is done in a combat situation, it is very likely enemies would notice people disappearing into nothingness while crouching then jumping in a certain spot, and depending on what the enemy is they would probably be able to figure out what's going on. Rope Trick never specifies that the creatures must be allowed into the space. That's the whole point of being able to pull the rope up: to deny entry. If the hole is 3' off the ground or whatever, then any orc or Mad Mage or whoever can just walk over and stick their head up into the space. Surely this opens them up to attack, but depending on HP they could certainly get into the space or cast a spell/use an attack while standing up into the space created.

Another question is What happens when the space exceeds carrying capacity? Is it like a Bag of Holding and bursts, releasing its contents? Or is there simply just no additional room for more than 8 creatures and any more physically cannot fit? If it's the first, then if 3 or 4 or so enemies jump into your 3' rope trick space, the spell would end and you would assuredly not get a Short Rest. If the second, well you just better hope no one sticking their head up into the space can cast "Fireball" or anything else that does a significant AOE damage, otherwise your less-than or equal to 8 member party is in big trouble.

In summary, I guess I would probably hand-wave the fact that as written it is impossible to get a Short Rest out of Rope Trick, as I feel that it is probably what it was designed for, and say a Short Rest, instead of being EXACTLY 1 hour is just around 1 hour, so 55 minutes of resting gains the benefits of a Short Rest. I don't think that would be breaking the game, but I could be wrong. However in combat against intelligent enemies (or unintelligent enemies with a good sense of smell that stand over 3' tall) I would say casting the 3' version of Rope Trick to get a Short Rest could be...problematic.

A better question is what if they don't notice it and walk into the space. Do the get shorn in half by the infinitely thin edge of the portal?

The intent of this spell is in fact to allow for a short rest. If you're not allowing it, particularly for the reasons you gave, it's a house rule which isn't within the rules as written or the rules as intended.
Then it's a terribly written spell.

If the intent was to have it function for short rests and work with that rule, it should mention short rests so people know. Why would they hide that?
Why would it not be a ritual like tiny hut?
Also, having it last exactly the length of a short rest while requiring everyone to be within a single move of the doorway and having the entrance possibly be two turns of Dash-climbing is problematic. Plus, having the spell involve climbing a rope (and thus necessitating a skill check) is also problematic. 3e puts the DC of climbing an unknotted rope without a wall to brace against as DC 20. Even not using those rules, a low Strength character can easily fail a low DC check.

A better written spell would have the spell last for the duration of a short rest or an hour if no one takes a short rest, which draws attention to the purpose of the spell. And the spell would have the rope be easily climbed.
And it wouldn't end and toss the party out with one or two rounds left in their short rest causing them to take falling damage.

Occam's razor
The duration of the spell did not change when the length of short rests increased six fold. For most (if not all) of the playtest it assumed fifty feet of rope. The spell does not mention short rests.
The intent of the spell is thus the intent of the spell in 1e-3e: to create an extra-dimensional pocket atop a suspended rope mimicking the real world magic trick.

That the spell lines up fairly closely with short rests is a happy accident. It can be used for a short rest, and DMs should probably let people rest there without being ejected with a round or two to go. But it's not the purpose of the spell...

Yunru

Banned
Banned
If the intent was to have it function for short rests and work with that rule, it should mention short rests so people know. Why would they hide that?
Because it's a natural conclusion to draw, and calling out game mechanics unnecessarily breaks immersion.
Why would it not be a ritual like tiny hut?
Because unlike Long Rests (which you can only take once in a 24 hour period), you can take as many Short Rests as you like, making it have more impact.
Also, having it last exactly the length of a short rest while requiring everyone to be within a single move of the doorway and having the entrance possibly be two turns of Dash-climbing is problematic.
Except nothing says that's the exact duration. Note that no spell has "X of this unit and Y of that" durations.
Plus, having the spell involve climbing a rope (and thus necessitating a skill check) is also problematic.
There is no requirement for a skill check, that is something you're adding.
an unknotted rope
That is also something you are adding.
without a wall to brace against
An assumption you make.
Even not using those rules, a low Strength character can easily fail a low DC check.
A check they shouldn't be making.
Occam's razor
Occam's Razor, the spell works exactly like you'd expect when people stop adding stuff that isn't there.

Yardiff

Adventurer
Or ignore stuff that makes sense like a str 8-10 character climbing a 60' free standing rope that is only anchored at the top and swings free.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
3e puts the DC of climbing an unknotted rope without a wall to brace against as DC 20. Even not using those rules, a low Strength character can easily fail a low DC check.

The rules for D&D 3e are completely irrelevant in D&D 5e.

In D&D 5e, there is no ability check to climb a rope. Climbing is a factor of speed and ability checks are called for only in certain circumstances, such as there being few handholds (a rope is literally a handhold) or being slippery (a very particular set of events will have to occur for that to be the case here).

Yeah that could be an issue if you ignore stuff like the rope being up to 60'.

You are ignoring the "up to" as well, though. "Up to" includes 60 feet. According to the PHB, while climbing (or swimming) each foot traveled costs two feet of movement. That means that, within the spells description, if the rope is 60 ft long, which it can be, then it would take a creature with 30 ft of movement two rounds to scale the rope, even without a skill check (15 ft movement, 15 ft dash action). So that is at least 12 seconds of time off of the specific length of the spell of 1 hour. That means that they would get to the safe space with 59 minutes and 48 seconds to rest. Again, according to the PHB, a short rest is at least 1 hour. 59 minutes and 48 seconds is not equal to 1 hour, so according to the rules as written, it would not be useable for a short rest unless the character could become immediately inside the safe space.

I have no problem ruling that the space inside of rope trick spell can be used as a short rest. Maybe that extra dimension has slightly different rules for time. However you cannot claim that by the rules as written that rope trick is designed for a short rest because everything about it denies a short rest by the nature of the spell.

Remove ads