Archetypes

jasper

Rotten DM
Using the Standard array. All Locks traps would DC 20 which would equal 100% for 2E purpose. Adventure League rules apply to. Hill Dwarf Guild Artisan
Level 1 Str 12 +1, Dex 15 +2, Con 13 +1, Int 14 +2, Wis 8 -1, Cha 10 +0.
Hit points 10. AC 13 Leather armour + dex. Skills Insight +1 = 5% Investigation +6 30% Persuasion +2 = 10%, Thieves Tools +6 = 30 % of pick locks, open gates, disarm trap. Weapon Sling +4 to hit d4+2 add backstab for 1d6
Third level changes HP 24 Back Stab for 2d6, Fast Hands along the Sleight of hand = pick pockets skill to disarm trap as a bonus action.
Oh Time to level up 3 4 hour session. So level up 12 hours.

As stated above, taking the Rogue Thief archtype describes what you want perfectly. At level 1 take Expertise with Thieves Tools (for unlocking locks, disarming traps) and Investigation (for finding traps and figuring out how they work). The Fast Hands 3rd level ability allows you to use disarm a trap or open a lock as a Bonus Action.

Your alignment preference doesn't even factor into the equation.

Or pick up Xanathar's Guide to Everything and choose the Inquisitive archtype. At level 9 you get Advantage on those Investigation checks (hopefully still with Expertise).

What [MENTION=6801213]akr71[/MENTION] said. Plus take the Guild Artisan background as a locksmith. Pick Tinker's tools to go along with your Thieves' Tools. Maybe later, take a multiclass dip into Wizard just to learn Knock and Arcane Lock.

In the end, though, it's not up to the books to make your concept work. It's up to you to make it work. Any 5e DM should be on board - 5e is as flexible as you and your DM want it to be. Remember 5e's basic premise: have fun!

Gadget

Adventurer
I really fail to see how 5e does not provide a way to achieve this result any more than 2e does. The complaint seems to be more along the lines of: "5e is different from 2e and I have to learn new mechanics!"

WolfhillRPG

Explorer
I really fail to see how 5e does not provide a way to achieve this result any more than 2e does. The complaint seems to be more along the lines of: "5e is different from 2e and I have to learn new mechanics!"

I think you are taking my confusion as complaining. Like the title of the thread says, I am referring to the 3rd level archetypes provided to the class. Thief/assassin/arcanetrickster. Skills such as second-story work go against the character iam trying to build. Do I just ignore that part of the archetype? The character is supposed to be a geeky lockpicker who really enjoys the problem solving of traps, not a wall scaling, pocket picking thief who just happens to be good at locks/traps. A lot of great insight here.

Imaro

Legend
I think you are taking my confusion as complaining. Like the title of the thread says, I am referring to the 3rd level archetypes provided to the class. Thief/assassin/arcanetrickster. Skills such as second-story work go against the character iam trying to build. Do I just ignore that part of the archetype? The character is supposed to be a geeky lockpicker who really enjoys the problem solving of traps, not a wall scaling, pocket picking thief who just happens to be good at locks/traps. A lot of great insight here.

Didn't you say you chose not to backstab in AD&D? I'm curious how did you realize this concept in AD&D that might help this conversation some...

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
If I was your DM I would suggest Guild Artisan, and give you access to Prodigy in Xanathar's Guide.
That would seem to handle your desired skills and free you to play the class you desire, maybe a Cleric of Knowledge, Lore Bard, or even a Drunken Master Monk

jasper

Rotten DM
Back in 1E my brother would only find traps. Never remove them. Why he failed most of remove traps roll. I also have players with more 5E xp than me forget part of a pc abilities. So.
Yes ignore parts of archetype.

ccs

41st lv DM

More or less, sure. It's your character, you decide what aspects to portray & in what degree. Afterall, didn't you just tell us you never backstabbed anything in 2e?

If it helps? Think of him as a geeky locksmith who can also do these other things. Or at least has the potential to do these things.

Gadget

Adventurer

And of course, in 2e, you ignored Backstab? What about move silently/Hide in shadows? Climb walls? It has been a long time, but I remember these things being integral to the thief in AD&D, and many parties could reasonably expect their thief to contribute in those areas, particularly as levels rise. I mean, "geeky lockpicker" has never been a solid fantasy archetype that a class based system has exactly imitated to a tee. The Rogue class provides the basis for that skill, but there are other things that go along with that. 5e provides more options for this in the form of backgrounds/feats that can give you exactly this, regardless of class. And quite frankly, "geeky locksmith" sounds a lot more like a background or character quirk than an a Major Fantasy Archetype.

One difference between modern editions and AD&D is that it tends to go for 'big heroic' (or anti-heroic, depending on your preference) a bit more than before; so, consequently, there are more Big Heroic Fantasy things parceled out among the various classes to do. Surviving low level is no longer the huge accomplishment of many hours of careful tapping with 10' poles and lucky roles that it once was, so consequently, the Bildungsroman, "just off the farm" portion of the game tends to get glossed over more than in the old days (depending on group and preferences, ymmv). That can have the effect of leaving more mundane concepts and things behind rather quickly, as groups advance more to 'Big Hero' status. This can be somewhat counteracted by slowing advancement and sticking to lower levels (whatever your group defines as 'lower levels'), and keeping things more restrained.

Last edited:

Remove ads