The Actual Table of Contents for Xanathar's Guide to Everything

A lot of good stuff there. Of course, on the DM side, a lot of stuff is not there, but I like what I see. Actually, one of the most useful things will be the appendix of sample names.

A lot of good stuff there.

Of course, on the DM side, a lot of stuff is not there, but I like what I see.

Actually, one of the most useful things will be the appendix of sample names.

What about experienced publishing companies more interested in selling movie and video game rights then actually publishing, so they cut staff and budgets to the publishing side, make it coast on fumes.

Given that they cut out their novel publishing, publish one none AP a year, and two APs per year, can you really call them a professional publishing company anymore?

It's a she'll company that hold valuable movie rights, that all it is and XGTE is just what it had to do to keep up appearances. 17 pages of names says it all.

Someone on another forum called it Xanather's Guide to Names and Rehash, tongue in cheek obviously, but it's I bad sign that there is truth in that.

I don't blame Mearls and Crawford they are trying to make lemon aid in a bad unfair situation, I blame the suits who make bad choices.

Maybe a bit more content would be nice. But still that seems unfair towards the designers. There were about twice as many subclasses tested. Half of them just tested not well enough. Sucks... but I repeat myself: better less content than bad content.
I really hope we will see the mechanical expansion, the psion, the alchemist and so on later.

Kurotowa

Legend
Who cares? We’re some people having a conversation and expressing our opinions to each other, and we are a 100% accurate sample of the people having this conversation.

I'm offering it as a refutation of the claim that name tables are useless to everyone. People here can freely say those tables are useless to them, but it's inaccurate to say they're so useless as to be unworthy of inclusion in the book.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Who cares? We’re some people having a conversation and expressing our opinions to each other, and we are a 100% accurate sample of the people having this conversation.
One of the folks engaged in the conversation was projecting his personal preferences into abstract statements of what is "useful" or "wasting money" in some Kantian Moral Imperative sense that objectively applies everywhere and for everyone. That claim is...bold.

Kurotowa

Legend
One of the folks engaged in the conversation was projecting his personal preferences into abstract statements of what is "useful" or "wasting money" in some Kantian Moral Imperative sense that objectively applies everywhere and for everyone. That claim is...bold.

Indeed. Everyone here is free to converse and offer their opinions, and I'm free to cite factual reasons why their opinion is wrong. That's what makes it a debate rather than a cluster of soapboxes people are shouting from.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What about experienced publishing companies more interested in selling movie and video game rights then actually publishing, so they cut staff and budgets to the publishing side, make it coast on fumes.

Given that they cut out their novel publishing, publish one none AP a year, and two APs per year, can you really call them a professional publishing company anymore?

It's a she'll company that hold valuable movie rights, that all it is and XGTE is just what it had to do to keep up appearances. 17 pages of names says it all.

Someone on another forum called it Xanather's Guide to Names and Rehash, tongue in cheek obviously, but it's I bad sign that there is truth in that.

I don't blame Mearls and Crawford they are trying to make lemon aid in a bad unfair situation, I blame the suits who make bad choices.
WotC have made it pretty clear tome and again that the publishing strategy of three books a year has everything to do with what people want to buy, not insufficient resources at all. And it's working, I've bought every book so far, and I bought two books between 3rd and 4th editions.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
A lot of people felt that 5E didn't deliver on its promise to be "modular." I think those people would be complaining the loudest about Xanathar's Guide if they had stuck around. But apparently they didn't.

gyor

Legend
All of those things are less useful to me than some solid random name tables: the good stuff was well covered in the PHB, and Mearls has admitted that one of the books he wants to get out at some point is a "Faiths & Avatars" style book, so that would be where you see expanded info of that sort.

Mo' random name tables, is mo' better.

Where did you hear that?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
nd it's working, I've bought every book so far, and I bought two books between 3rd and 4th editions.

The definition of a working strategy is “Parmandur has bought every book so far”?

I mean, I haven’t. I haven’t seen ToA; last one I bought was CoS. Does that mean it’s not working? Or is it only when you buy them?

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
Basing a rule on a conversation you over heard one time, is not a good idea.
That he no doubt then put into the surveys and had people investigate forum discussions on and talk to the AL organisers about before making a decision. You know, like how he and WotC have been telling us they're doing for the last 38 months.

They should at least make it PHB +2 so that people still have reasons to buy more books.
For AL, PHB +1 is definitely a good limit. I can break the game with just the PHB. +2 would have so many potentially broken combinations and require up to $150 USD expenditure. That is a significant threshold between having players and not having players join the hobby. Have you ever played AL?

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
I really hope we will see the mechanical expansion, the psion, the alchemist and so on later.
But this is the mechanical expansion -- the one they have been teasing for a couple years now. And it doesn't fit my (most people's?) definition of a mechanical expansion.

Remove ads

Remove ads