• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 2024 needs to end 2014's passive aggressive efforts to remove magic items & other elements from d&d

Yaarel

He Mage
If you get them. Somehow that the game gives no guidance for an low key discourages.
The most important thing is for the magic items in the DMs Guide to accurate describe how powerful a magic item is. The current rarity categories are less helpful.

Then the DM has the power of knowledge. For example, a DM who wants zero magic item problems can still easily hand out magic items that belong to one tier lower than the current tier of the characters. A DM who wants to spice the game up with powerful magic items can hand out items from one tier higher than the current characters. Meanwhile, the DM can improve the hostiles with similarly powerful magic items to retain game balance.

Yaarel

He Mage
It's possible to do magic shops pretty easily in a way that makes things far more interesting than you note. I've seen & done it in a few different ways but there is a great ~5min video explaining one of the easier & more setting agnostic yet easily seen as interesting ways of running then
It works even better if you keep a log that includes some of the notable magic items that you cycled out & have the vendors just straight up "I sold one of those a while back" or "I heard someone in $otherShop/$otherTown had one... two... three years back maybe? Not sure what happened with it

It was a bit more in depth than that & I mentioned the pg288 3.5dmg sidebar explaining how body slots are woven into magic items in the themselves in the OP. Aside from truly bizarre multiclass combos straight out of R'lyeth that probably would actually need them just to be marginally effective it was rare for a player to even be capable of finding items useful to their PCfor a good number of slots. Here's a transcript of that sidebar
BEHIND THE CURTAIN: BODY SLOT AFFINITIES
A character who already has winged boots wants the haste effect provided by boots of speed. The player asks, “Can I make a hat of speed instead?” What’s your answer?

The question comes up with some frequency because some parts of the body can accommodate many more kinds of magic items than others. Almost every character gets a magic cloak of some kind early in her career, even if it’s a simple cloak of resistance +1. But magic vests are few in number, and almost all the magic robes are too expensive for low-level characters. Characters who have “empty” spaces on their
bodies are naturally eager to fill them with useful items that would ordinarily go in spots where they already have magic.

Some magic items strain credulity if they’re placed in an unusual location on the body. It’s much easier to imagine gauntlets of ogre power than goggles of ogre power. Other changes seem straightforward enough; for instance, a cloak of blending makes just as much sense as a robe of blending.

Each location on the body, or body slot, has one or more affinities: a word or phrase that describes the general function or nature of magic items designed for that body slot. Body slot affinities are deliberately broad, abstract categorizations, because a hard-and-fast rule can’t cover the great variety among wondrous items.

You can use the affinities in the list below to guide your decisions on which magic items you’ll allow in which body slots. And when you design your own magic items, the affinities give you some guidance for what form a particular item should take.

Some body slots have different affinities for different specific items. Gloves and gauntlets occupy the same body slot, for example, but have the affinities of quickness and destructive power respectively.

Body SlotAffinity
Headband, HelmetMental Improvenment, Ranged Attacks
HatInteraction
PhylacteryMorale, Alignment
Eye Lenses, GogglesVision
Cloak, Cape, MantleTransformation, Protection
Amulet, Brooch, Medallion, Necklace, Periapt, ScarabProtection, Discernment
RobeMultiple Effects
ShirtPhysical Improvement
Vest, VestmentClass ability Improvement
BracersCombat
BraceletsAllies
GlovesQuickness
GauntletsDestructive Power
BeltPhysical Improvement
BootsMovement
Wondrous items that don’t match the affinity for a particular body slot should cost 50% more than wondrous items that match the affinity. Compare the boots of teleportation with the helm of teleportation. Unless you are intentionally aiming for a truly oddball game, avoid patently absurd combinations such as eyeglasses of giant Strength at any price.

If a player wanted to fill all their slots as people throwing shade at body slots often mention (including in this thread) it was a simple matter of turning the page in the DMG to them to read where they would realize there really is no such item as a necklace of archery boots of fireball or whatever. Even late in 3.5 it was still pretty tough to find actual published items that supported a fill every slot mentality that were much more useful than "well nobody else wants this and I'm not using anything in that slot... I might as well wear it in my empty slot since it doesn't look like selling it would get us much... does anyone mind if I do?".
The body slots can simplify, especially to reduce the number of magic items available at any one time, to avoid effects-stacking and christmas tree ornamenting.

Meanwhile, where a "necklace of archery" doesnt exist officially, a player can have their character craft one. As long as the DM has a clear idea of how powerful such an item is, no problem. Crafting items is great for adventure hooks.

I find body slots useful. 5e character sheets can list them.

Maybe require assigning a body slot in order to attune a magic item.

Body slots can be:

• Mainhand Arm
• Offhand Arm
• Head (crown, eye, etcetera)
• Torso (necklace, cloak, shirt, broach)
• Belt (belt itself or nearby such as on belt or in belt pouch)
• Legs
• One Anywhere (mainly for a Wondrous Item)

Thus at a higher tier, upto seven magic items are attunable at any one time.
To me, it feels like having slots moves the game back towards being an MMO... which was a huge complaint about 4e. I do think there should be limits on how many magic items can be effectively used though

If a player wanted to fill all their slots as people throwing shade at body slots often mention (including in this thread) it was a simple matter of turning the page in the DMG to them to read where they would realize there really is no such item as a necklace of archery boots of fireball or whatever. Even late in 3.5 it was still pretty tough to find actual published items that supported a fill every slot mentality that were much more useful than "well nobody else wants this and I'm not using anything in that slot... I might as well wear it in my empty slot since it doesn't look like selling it would get us much... does anyone mind if I do?".
I played in a small campaign (a DM and 2 players) where, as a cleric, I doubled down on all item creating in 3.x. The other character was an astral deva from whatever the WOTC book was where they had monstrous races as classes. RAW, there is an insane amount of stuff you can pack on weapons, armors and rings.

Yaarel

He Mage
To me, it feels like having slots moves the game back towards being an MMO... which was a huge complaint about 4e. I do think there should be limits on how many magic items can be effectively used though
I feel these body slots − each arm, head, torso, belt, legs, plus any − have a psychological connotation. Wearing a magic crown is an archetype. A "right hand" wielding a sword or magic ring, is a thing. It can enhance the flavor of magic. As long as body slots lean into mythic tropes, rather than accountant inventory sheets.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
For me and my table d20 high fantasy style gaming includes a flow of magic items. To eliminate using encumbrance I always throw the party a bag of holding or two at session 0 or 1.

For us no magic items means a different play style, and then we don’t use d20/D&D.

Yaarel

He Mage
Stares in Cantrips and Extra Attack and the DMG

Still, characters at level 5 are drastically different from character at level 10.

Having tiers be 5−8 and 9−12 is better granularity when ballparking ranges of comparable power, for appropriate adventures, magic items, and so on.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
The body slots can simplify, especially to reduce the number of magic items available at any one time, to avoid effects-stacking and christmas tree ornamenting.

Meanwhile, where a "necklace of archery" doesnt exist officially, a player can have their character craft one. As long as the DM has a clear idea of how powerful such an item is, no problem. Crafting items is great for adventure hooks.
Since not everyone was around back then & plenty won't remember or have encountered it to even remember... Lets make it clear what kind of situation a player would really want to jump through those hoops to get bracers of archery on a necklace instead of bracers. That kind of situation is one where the PC for whatever reason managed to get something like bracers of accuracy from MiC or core dmg bracers of armor & the group wasn't ready to murder them in their sleep to give the bracers to a PC who actually needed them... those scaled from +1AC up to +8 AC. Bracers were probably a bad slot shift example because there aren't many bracers without expanding the search to include things like BovD MiC & other books loaded with magic items that I bet had a couple

I don't think that a player would have a very strong case to craft a slot affinity defying item after the GM squints skeptically & says "nahhhhhh I don't think that's going to fly these combined are wayy too good" just because a second player has craft magic:X. Even beyond that there was a second tool the GM had at their disposal that could be used to counter it in the form of bonus type conflicts.

I played in a small campaign (a DM and 2 players) where, as a cleric, I doubled down on all item creating in 3.x. The other character was an astral deva from whatever the WOTC book was where they had monstrous races as classes. RAW, there is an insane amount of stuff you can pack on weapons, armors and rings.
Agreed, but the truly staggering combos tended to involve things like this fleshgrinding*, masterslaying★, sacred, profane sword I pulled from an ancient character sheet used in a near-one shot silly "Bob's moving cross country in a couple months, lets send him off good" type game It was trivial to slap down craxy combos & the escalating costs of combined effects added up fast for all but the most minor of effects.

* It's on pg 111 in Book of Vilre Darkness. slapping down the crafting of things from that book was like a DC minus ten persuade for the GM
★This one was deep in the weeds on page 112 of the same book :D
I don't have whatever books these were in & don't recall the specifics of how I got around the "must be x alignment or it huts you" conflict other than the PC being a warforge made them immune to one iirc.

Remove ads