D&D (2024) 2024 Player's Handbook reveal: "New Cleric"

Stalker0

Legend
A few good spells that work well with Divine Intervention (assuming they haven't changed), due to having long casting times and/or consumed expensive components:

5th
  • Geas
  • Raise Dead
  • Greater Restoration
  • Hallow*
  • Legend Lore
  • Planar Binding*
3rd
  • Animate Dead
  • Glyph of Warding
  • Magic Circle
  • Revivify
  • Remove Curse (not for the normal reasons, but so rarely prepared as a cleric. being able to just remove a nasty curse whenever needed without having to worry about preparing this spell is a "godsend"
1st
  • Ceremony

* - Noting particularly strong uses of the effect.

DarkCrisis

Spreading holiday cheer.
One thing Ive noticed about all of these previews (and im sure this is a shock to no one) is they never say something like "This was to powerful so we scaled it back." It's all "Here's several upgrades and new powers."

Were people really having that hard a time with base 5E? Was this AD&D difficult and I just didn't notice?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
One thing Ive noticed about all of these previews (and im sure this is a shock to no one) is they never say something like "This was to powerful so we scaled it back." It's all "Here's several upgrades and new powers."

Were people really having that hard a time with base 5E? Was this AD&D difficult and I just didn't notice?
As an approach it makes sense. There will be less kicking and screaming if they bring the weak stuff from 2014 up to the baseline established by the stronger stuff. They still have made some nerfs, like the Paladin's smite or stunning Strike.
Not that it completely stops the wailing and gnashing of teeth, just look at the ranger thread.

You might want to listen to some of them again. (The monk one could be a start).
It doesn't have anything to do with difficulty. I don't know why you try to bring a discussion from another thread into this one?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
One more way to use channel divinity is great. Now we need 1-2 per deity/theme/goal that the cleric serves. The issue with generic rules, not tied to setting, is lack of interesting/unique abilities. Which I'm ok with, and bored with at the same time.

DarkCrisis

Spreading holiday cheer.
You might want to listen to some of them again. (The monk one could be a start).

It doesn't have anything to do with difficulty. I don't know why you try to bring a discussion from another thread into this one?

I'm just shocked at all the upgrades to the Cleric. I guess I shouldn't be.

I can't wait to see the DMG and MM to see how they balance all this out.

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
The cleric is in general a well designed class, the only thing I think is wrong with it is that the domains are the subclasses. I think I'd have preferred the divine order being the subclass and domains as something like pact boons that alter the class. It's something I'd have to make myself as there is no way it would change for 5.5.

I do like the new way they're doing turn undead and I like blessed strikes being a choice. I've never been fond of divine intervention, I don't think this new version is overpower it's just that to me it is an ability that should be separated from class and allow anyone to call on the gods for divine intervention. A fighter who is the champion of the god of war should be able to call upon their god for aid. I think Matt Colville had a system for that which I should look into again.

Remove ads