D&D 5E 20th level Sorcerer vs the world

That's why I am not engaging him before he does that and prooves he could, with a legal preparation, actually kill the three "low-performance build" of having the 3 contingencies I presented earlier on. His new tactic, however silly it is, of casting meteor swarm implies having it on his spell list which he didn't provide and can be cast only once per three days because of the coffeelocking for 48h and failed to inflict any damage to the contingent dimension door'ing one.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
That's why I am not engaging him before he does that and prooves he could, with a legal preparation, actually kill the three "low-performance build" of having the 3 contingencies I presented earlier on. His new tactic, however silly it is, of casting meteor swarm implies having it on his spell list which he didn't provide and can be cast only once per three days because of the coffeelocking for 48h and failed to inflict any damage to the contingent dimension door'ing one.
Understood.

It's harder and harder to take him seriously.

prabe

Supporter
It is interesting to see so much time spent putting together the specifics of a build only to then put zero time into clear action definition.
It's almost as though he never contemplated the possibility of competent opposition. Possibly because he considers competent opposition "DM Fiat" and his own build decisions (including the ability to Sim or summon anything he wants, with any gear and/or specific build he wants) ... not DM Fiat--when clearly they are.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Actually, that wish, as worded, imparts upon you a delusion that exactly that has happened. You are forever unable to perceive any wizards, and they are forever unable to affect you with magic.

That's what happens when you overreach with a wish.

You. Lost.
I like it. Some rambling clearly wounded individual traveling about the world declaring himself the King who defeated all wizards. Liberator of civilization.

Rings a bit of Dennis the Golden God.

But yeah. I mean... I think I see a Sorcerer king post from this guy about once a month? They always either try to minmax stealth or sit in a fortress somewhere doing nothing. I think my favorite was the coffee lock who needed like 30 years of building points up to venture out of his home. Sometimes they have hordes of zombies or I guess in part of this case the Magen that aren't all that impressive when you think about it.

None of them seem to come from a loving home. I certainly don't know why the OP always makes them terribly evil edge lords.

If nothing else I can take away some of the fluff and make them into more useful enemies. Though it would be nice to see him/her make one sorcerer king who is loved (and isn't just lying to everyone), or came from a loving family.

I definitely get the feeling though that the OP primarily plays them like a character out of an RPG video game. Especially that really weird understanding of how social skills work. I mean... you can lie all you like, but if someone doesn't believe you, it doesn't matter how high you can jank your roll to be.

Last edited:

prabe

Supporter
I like it. Some rambling clearly wounded individual traveling about the world declaring himself the King who defeated all wizards. Liberator of civilization.

Rings a bit of Dennis the Golden God.
From the DM's perspective, it leaves a core class in the game, so other players (they do exist!) can play it.

I think the fact he doesn't grok the difference between his wish and mine, in terms of the ask and the power level, and in terms of his wish being directly for a win and mine enabling me to win by other means ... well, it says a lot about him.
But yeah. I mean... I think I see a Sorcerer king post from this guy about once a month? They always either try to minmax stealth or sit in a fortress somewhere doing nothing. I think my favorite was the coffee lock who needed like 30 years of building points up to venture out of his home. Sometimes they have hordes of zombies or I guess in part of this case the Magen that aren't all that impressive when you think about it.
Yeah. His idea of "build" seems to require unlimited prep time, and an opponent with approximately none.
None of them seem to come from a loving home. I certainly don't know why the OP always makes them terribly evil edge lords.
Because who else would want to conquer the world? Or at least destroy educated spellcasters?
If nothing else I can take away some of the fluff and make them into more useful enemies. Though it would be nice to see him/her make one sorcerer king who is loved (and isn't just lying to everyone), or came from a loving family.
Eh. They don't even make super-interesting villains, IMO. That's probably a matter of taste or preference, though--there's no judgement from me on that.
I definitely get the feeling though that the OP primarily plays them like a character out of an RPG video game. Especially that really weird understanding of how social skills work. I mean... you can lie all you like, but if someone doesn't believe you, it doesn't matter how high you can jank your roll to be.
One definitely gets the feeling he doesn't much play the actual D&D 5E TRPG. He doesn't seem to understand how to play it, among other things.

One definitely gets the feeling he doesn't much play the actual D&D 5E TRPG. He doesn't seem to understand how to play it, among other things.
This is actually what bothers me the most. I get that people are sometimes weird on the internet and would never do or say the things they do on the internet in real life, but if he acts like this at a real table, I can't imagine he is much fun to play the game with. If he were at my table acting like this, I would have booted him long ago and if I were a player at a table with another player acting like this, and the DM was letting him get away with it, I would walk.

prabe

Supporter
This is actually what bothers me the most. I get that people are sometimes weird on the internet and would never do or say the things they do on the internet in real life, but if he acts like this at a real table, I can't imagine he is much fun to play the game with. If he were at my table acting like this, I would have booted him long ago and if I were a player at a table with another player acting like this, and the DM was letting him get away with it, I would walk.
If his behavior at a real-world table is anything like his behavior in this thread, I suspect he can't find people to game with him for more than a few sessions, unless they're total newbies--in which case they're going to end up with a warped idea of what D&D is and how it's played, and they probably still won't last more than a few sessions, and they'll never play the game again after.

Of course, these days, with all the real-play streams, even someone who's never played the game before will plausibly have an idea of what they're expecting from the game, which means they'll just not put up with the dude.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Eh. They don't even make super-interesting villains, IMO. That's probably a matter of taste or preference, though--there's no judgement from me on that.
Oh no. I wouldn't really take his ridiculously bleak backstory and use that. I meant some of the builds. And then twist them into something a bit more practical. Giving the villain some more pragmatic motivations and goals. The super tragic childhood trope is much too played out for bad guys.

And hey! I don't think I am super edge lord evil, but I wouldn't mind conquering a world or two!

Remove ads