D&D 5E 20th level Sorcerer vs the world

Oofta

Legend
He has a simple solution to everything like that: first he tries an intimidation check against the DM to let him do whatever he wants. With magical guidance, and skill empowerment, and guidance from his pet Drow Matron Mother, and x, y, and z other abilities he has to succeed. The power is so Ultimate!
Add in attempts to cast confusion on anyone trying to read his posts who is trying to actually understand what he's saying followed by derision and laughter along with the claims of winning. So much winning.

Wait a minute ... I may know who they really are ...

download (6).jpg

I think my biggest issue with the thread was, it was not about playing D&D in any meaningful way. It was simply about how very specific builds would be successful the majority of time given a very specific set of circumstance. I mean, would any of his builds been any more or less effective than any other class build over two years of play from 1st to 20th level?

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I think my biggest issue with the thread was, it was not about playing D&D in any meaningful way. It was simply about how very specific builds would be successful the majority of time given a very specific set of circumstance. I mean, would any of his builds been any more or less effective than any other class build over two years of play from 1st to 20th level?
You have a point. There's a real chance that at a real table with real players and a real DM, he would find his characters less effective (at least sometimes) than other party members. Presuming, of course, that his behavior didn't get him kicked out of the table or something (which is a helluva presumption).

You have a point. There's a real chance that at a real table with real players and a real DM, he would find his characters less effective (at least sometimes) than other party members. Presuming, of course, that his behavior didn't get him kicked out of the table or something (which is a helluva presumption).
I also don't think he understood the real scale of being 650 feet in the air, at that height, I could put a dummy in the middle of the road, I would not even bother buying a wizards hat for it and he would not be able to tell the difference at that altitude. His entire strategy could be ruined by simply walking 5 feet inside the wood line instead of walking on the road. Don't even get me started on how an Illusionist could screw with him using only low level illusions. Please by all means burn up your spell slots dispelling shadowy figures created by my Minor Illusion cantrips.

prabe

Supporter
I also don't think he understood the real scale of being 650 feet in the air, at that height, I could put a dummy in the middle of the road, I would not even bother buying a wizards hat for it and he would not be able to tell the difference at that altitude. His entire strategy could be ruined by simply walking 5 feet inside the wood line instead of walking on the road. Don't even get me started on how an Illusionist could screw with him using only low level illusions. Please by all means burn up your spell slots dispelling shadowy figures created by my Minor Illusion cantrips.
I'm not arguing the realism of it, but the game gives longbows a range of 600 feet, and someone with the sharpshooter feat can shoot someone through a window at that range.

I agree that watching him find a wizard's sanctum (run by a fair DM) would be ... amusing. I mean, I presume it'd Mirage Arcane on it and the surrounding area, which there is no check to discern (as I read the rules). Only way is Truesight.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Whoa! How did you get to act? No hostile act was taken against you. You aren't in combat. You don't roll initiative.
That player was Moderator-evicted from the thread a few pages back.
He cannot explain (even if he had an explanation).

That's roughly what happened (or was rolled back at some point, I dunno). One of the Yuan-ti cast a save-or-die spell, which he countered by a suprisingly convenient counterspell upcast at 9th level, guaranteeing an automatic success [he knew, I guess, that action economy in the dice shenanigans would play in his defavour]. That was surprisingly convenient, but a speedbumb since his forces were split. So I informed the DM through PM that the next spell to be cast was crown of madness when he got to rewind time back to the first round to take an action to dispell crown of madness on himself. Then he wasted his 9th level slot of dispelling Crown of Madness, a wizard's at-will spell.

prabe

Supporter
That's roughly what happened (or was rolled back at some point, I dunno). One of the Yuan-ti cast a save-or-die spell, which he countered by a suprisingly convenient counterspell upcast at 9th level, guaranteeing an automatic success [he knew, I guess, that action economy in the dice shenanigans would play in his defavour]. That was surprisingly convenient, but a speedbumb since his forces were split. So I informed the DM through PM that the next spell to be cast was crown of madness when he got to rewind time back to the first round to take an action to dispell crown of madness on himself. Then he wasted his 9th level slot of dispelling Crown of Madness, a wizard's at-will spell.
I noticed that, going back and re-reading the thread. He seemed ... baffled. Which seems likely to be his default state in an actual game, when he isn't throwing a tanty because the rules aren't what he wants them to be.

It's like, in the quick demonstration of how parties take down spellcasters, when he tried to dominate the rogue/ranger in the stripped-down version of the 14th-level party I'm DMing for. He plausibly had tactics available to him that at least would have guaranteed that he'd get a second turn (distant fireball--possibly upcast--from stealth, then move; maybe dim door occasionally instead of attacking in future turns) but he was so intent on turning the party against itself--and so unaware of how the rules actually work--that he let the paladin on the pegasus get to move-and-dash range, then stopped concentrating on a stealth spell.

The fact that, if I'd described the party's appearances to him, I think it's 50-50 whether he'd have correctly identified which PC was the rogue/ranger, isn't super-important.

It's like, in the quick demonstration of how parties take down spellcasters, when he tried to dominate the rogue/ranger in the stripped-down version of the 14th-level party I'm DMing for. He plausibly had tactics available to him that at least would have guaranteed that he'd get a second turn (distant fireball--possibly upcast--from stealth, then move; maybe dim door occasionally instead of attacking in future turns) but he was so intent on turning the party against itself--and so unaware of how the rules actually work--that he let the paladin on the pegasus get to move-and-dash range, then stopped concentrating on a stealth spell.

Most of this seemed to stem from having a Rule of Cool DM who decided that if you're using psychic effects cast from stealth, enemies don't even get to roll initiative, because they're not aware at all that they're under attack. This gave him an incredibly exaggerated understanding of how powerful stealth is.

Remove ads