D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Only Smackdown

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
reapersaurus said:
oh, come on, now. this is getting a bit ridiculous.
What's the point of working up anything that relies on the Bead of Karma being 0 gp?
It really doesn't matter what typo the DMG has, it's obvious that it will cost more than 0 gp, and IIRC, isn't it priced in the SRD?

Ridiculous. A smackdown? Never...

Ok - let's try for 'fastest land speed'. Or just 'fastest speed' full stop.

jabberwocky

First Post
reapersaurus said:
oh, come on, now. this is getting a bit ridiculous.
What's the point of working up anything that relies on the Bead of Karma being 0 gp?
It really doesn't matter what typo the DMG has, it's obvious that it will cost more than 0 gp, and IIRC, isn't it priced in the SRD?

Fair enough, but even counting the beads at 20,000 each (the price that the strand should be reduced by if the karma bead is missing), you can still pull off stupid caster level tricks - you only need 4 or 5 beads to Holy Word/Blaspheme/etc, just about anything of an opposing alignment out of existence with no save.
Even the stupid demon bombing works ; it's more expensive, and can only really be pulled off once (at least until you can get another staff of gate), but it still works. (see edited demon bombing smack above - only 50,000 points of damage, though)
The problem isn't that the beads are free, it's that they can stack and last long enough for you to pull off obscene caster levels.

RigaMortus

Explorer
Wasn't there a "Machine-gun Monk" combo someone posted awhile ago? I think it involved a Monk using Flurry of Blows and Rapid Shot with Shurikens or something like that.

reapersaurus

Explorer
I do not believe that Beads of Karma stack.
Nor any of the other similar items that have only recently been brought up here.

I think it is fairly straightforward in the rules that Beads of Karma are not meant to stack. They are from the same source, and it doesn't say anywhere that they specifically stack.

FrankTrollman

First Post
reapersaurus said:
This thread has never been about what you believe. It's about what the rules say.

reapersaurus said:
I think it is fairly straightforward in the rules that Beads of Karma are not meant to stack. They are from the same source, and it doesn't say anywhere that they specifically stack.
:rolleyes:

Please. We've already been over this.

Unnamed Bonuses stack, even from the same source.

And there is no rule about "same magic items" not stacking.

Nowhere. Not in the PHB. Not in the DMG. Nowhere at all. It's not even implied - it's just your imagination. The only rule even remotely like that applies only to spells, and even then doesn't apply to spells which provide specific unnamed bonuses. We've already been over this, don't waste space on this thread by dragging this issue over the coals again.

-Frank

jabberwocky

First Post
reapersaurus said:
Nor any of the other similar items that have only recently been brought up here.

I agree that the Beads of Karma shouldn't stack - it's a pretty definite loophole in the rules, which allows the smackdowns. IMC I'll just write 'divine' in front of the caster level bonus for the bead, and then there will be no more problem with it, won't stack with itself, but will stack with almost everything else that gives a bonus to caster level. Still powerful, but not game-breaking. And I'll probably make the ioun stone an enhancement bonus to caster level. But I haven't seen anything in the rules that actually says that they can't stack.

reapersaurus

Explorer
you know what?
I hardly even give a crap about the "rules" anymore.

Rules lawyering and grammar-dissecting nonsense has made "the rules" a completely impossible thing to try to define anymore.

I'm much more confident in playing a game that has obvious rules "in spirit" than in playing a game that has to specify every single thing, regardless of how obvious it is (like Prayer Beads don't cost 0 gp's would be a particularly applicable example).

Steverooo

First Post
Incoming!

PEDANT ALERT! Lecture incoming!

Vicious - Cruel, evil.
Viscous - resisting flow (as molasses on a cold day).
Viscious - Not a word, in the English language.

Inherit - To gain upon the death of another, or through genetic transmission.
Inherent - Intrinsic to one's self.

/PEDANT ALERT!

Legildur

First Post
reapersaurus said:
you know what?
I hardly even give a crap about the "rules" anymore.

Rules lawyering and grammar-dissecting nonsense has made "the rules" a completely impossible thing to try to define anymore.

I'm much more confident in playing a game that has obvious rules "in spirit" than in playing a game that has to specify every single thing, regardless of how obvious it is (like Prayer Beads don't cost 0 gp's would be a particularly applicable example).

Hear! Hear!

To all of this!

Remove ads