• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Spells (New & Changes)

ForceUser

Explorer
Anubis the Doomseer said:
Would make more sense if they (Rogues) gained Hide in Plain Sight at high level. :)
I would prefer if they had not given RANGERS of all classes Hide in Plain Sight, and left it as a special, cool prestige class ability of Shadowdancers.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Ravellion said:
Sleep: Casting time 1 full round. Affects 4 HD of creatures.

Phew, I'm glad they reigned in the power of sleep. The ability to affect 4-16 1HD creatures with no saving throw (or even a single ogre with no saving throw) was just too powerful.

Oh, wait, that was the 1e version of sleep.

I wonder why they reduced the number affected *and* made it a full round action?

Perhaps because it was the equivalent of a death spell on everyone affected if they could be CDG'd?

Old Gumphrey

First Post
no.

I distinctly remember reading on this site that enervation does not get a save. I think it was in that really long thread with ShadowStar answering questions with his 3.5 PHB that he had nabbed.

Tharizdun

First Post
More spells

ForceUser said:
I would prefer if they had not given RANGERS of all classes Hide in Plain Sight, and left it as a special, cool prestige class ability of Shadowdancers.

sorry but see other post for Class changes :)

More Spells:

Added spells: fox' cunning, owl's wisdom, eagle's splendor...all from the defenders, tome & blood, etc. so nthing new there, except the 1 min/lvl change and +4 bonus instead of the 1d4+1

Alter self basically the same, but more text on what you can or cannot do; flight has increased to 120 feet from 30 (!)

Disintegrate: causes 2d6 /level cap at 40d6 --when reduced to 0 hp, the target is disintegrated--succesful save is only 5d6 damage

Enervation: range 25 ft + 5 ft/2 lvls -- text changes: bolt has become ray (another reason for weapon focus:ray) undead gain 1d4x5 temporary hp for 1 hour

Enlarge person, mass: lvl S/W 4 -- one humanoid/level, no more than 30 feet apart

Fly: 60 feet/40 feet -- 1 min/level -- save:will negates --minor text changes: no feather fall if dispelled within an antimagic field

Heal 10 hp/lvl cap at 150 pts

Heal, Mass: C 9 Healing 9 -- as heal, 250 pts cap -- range: close, Targets: one or more creatures within 30 feet of each other

Melf's Acid Arrow: amount of missiles per level n have been purged from text... you have to do the math yourself...

Symbol: gone
in it's place: (C=Clr S/W = Sor/Wiz)
Symbol of Death C/S/W 8
Symbol of Fear C/S/W 6
Symbol of Insanity C/S/W 8
Symbol of Persuasion C/S/W 6
Symbol of Sleep C/S/W 5
Symbol of Stunning C/S/W 7
Symbol of Weakness C/S/W 7

Last edited:

Staffan

Legend
Re: improved invisibility

Tharizdun said:
--at last a good 2nd level damaging spell!!
Scorching Ray: lvl sor/wiz 2 --ranged touch att --close range
1 ray + 1 ray per 3 levels, max of 3 rays -- 4d6 damage fire per ray
Wait a minute... is that "per 3 levels above 3rd" (where you can start casting it), or is it "per 3 levels", period? In the latter case, it would inflict a mighty 8d6 damage as a 2nd level spell cast by a 3rd level caster... now THAT's a powerful spell. Probably too powerful.

Is this a replacement for Flame Arrow? And if not, how have they changed Flame Arrow to be better than this one? Because even with the weaker interpretation, this probably does more damage than 3.0 Flame Arrow.

Tharizdun

First Post
Re: Re: improved invisibility

Staffan said:

Wait a minute... is that "per 3 levels above 3rd" (where you can start casting it), or is it "per 3 levels", period? In the latter case, it would inflict a mighty 8d6 damage as a 2nd level spell cast by a 3rd level caster... now THAT's a powerful spell. Probably too powerful.

"plus one additional ray for every four levels beyond 3rd"

Remove ads