D&D 3E/3.5 3.5e Core Book Reprint

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Honestly, and I say this out of ignorance for which books fall under this category, but shouldn't they choose reprinting based around which books had the most errata, and therefore need serious tweaking?

Are there enough original printing books to go around?

Greenfield

Adventurer
Honestly, and I say this out of ignorance for which books fall under this category, but shouldn't they choose reprinting based around which books had the most errata, and therefore need serious tweaking?

Are there enough original printing books to go around?
Well, consider it from their point of view: They're not just trying to sell to people who already have them, they're looking for the books that will bring in the most money. It's a business decision, pure and simple.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I love Tome of Battle and voted for it, but I'm concerned. IIRC Baker said he now wishes he hadn't put in the refresh mechanics. Can we really trust WotC not to mess up a good thing here?

Also, choosing the books by year printed sucks... I'd rather just choose like a top 10 out of all or something.

Greenfield

Adventurer
I got an insight on the business aspect of it today at my local gaming store. (I dropped in at lunch.)

When Hasbro bought WOTC, the rule was clear: Any product line that doesn't bring in something like 50 Mil per annum goes.

WOTC looked at their business and said that they were fine. Magic alone was meeting the goal.

But Hasbro clarified: Magic is "one product line. D&D is a separate one, and if it doesn't come up to scratch, we scratch it."

D&D 3.* was a huge success when it came out, revitalizing a fading market. D&D 4.* isn't. It's being outsold by Paizo, which is essentially selling WOTC's old product with a few geegaws added.

So whether this signals a white flag on D&D 4.0 or not, whether it signals a lack of faith in D&D 5.0 or not, it clearly signals a desire to boost their revenue stream and keep D&D safe from the corporate budget axe.

They already own the material, and their market is already established. And by adding new art and including the errata, they can sell books to people who already bought them once, a known market. Other than some people having to eat a little crow, this is a no-brainer of a move.

Still, whether it's driven by old school purists or pure capitalism, I'm happy they're doing it, and I hope it works for them.

Wik

First Post
This is a great business move, not just for the money aspects (can't fault a company for wanting to make money) but because it shows they've learned from their 4e mistakes. Remember, when 4e was coming out, the designers slammed 3rd in some pretty big ways. This wasn't like when 3e came out, when designers were focusing on the positives and fixing someone else's work - this was a company where designers were essentially slamming their own product to pump you up for the next one, and it didn't sit well with fans.

Whether you like 4th or not, I think we can all agree that the release and promotion of the game left something to be desired.

This way, they're saying "hey, look, we want you to play D&D, regardless of edition!". It also could be a very good marketing ploy, since 5e is supposed to have a little bit of every edition in it. By releasing products from old editions, you can legitimately say in your 5th edition product that, hey, remember that thing from 1e you liked? You know, in that book we released last year? Well, it's here, too.

Drowbane

First Post
I would totally buy a new 3.5 Core set. Errata not overly necessary as alot of it was poorly thought out. Actually, I'd rather see a reprint of the 3.0 books.

Expanded Psionics Handbook should be reprinted along with Complete Psionic and all the errata as the "Psionics Compendium" as one book...

I would like a reprinting of the XPH, but no thanks to meshing it with the FAIL that was Comp Psi. Comp Psi had only a small handful of useful in its clustered mess of raw crap. "Only one Astral Construct", my aasimar. :p

Remove ads