4 limbed and two handed weapons

My personal preference has been to have the arms work togehter top to bottom. So the two right arms do something and the two left arms do something. A sword and shield on each side of the creature can be quite deadly. As can a longbow on each side.

mikebr99

Explorer
heh...
now this is really getting into house rules...

How is a monster, using a long bow with two right arms going to be able to get the thing up to his eye in order to aim correctly? Is he 'shooting from the hip'? And how is he trying to aim two weapons at the same time?

And the shield thing? They are kind of big you know...

mikebr99

Explorer
smetzger said:

Yes, I don't want any house rules. I want to know the 'official rules'.

I don't think it's official... but I wouldn't allow a 4 limbed monster use two 2-handed-weapons.

Which monster are we talking about anyway? You had mentioned in a previous post that it doesn't have elbows or hands... How is it going to hold anything at all, let alone two swords?

smetzger

Explorer
Zhure said:

Check out the Xill in the MM.
Greg

It seems WOTC didn't want to try and figure out the penalties for a Xill using two longbows. They have a racial ability that allows them to fight with all 4 arms w/o any penalties. But what are the penalties?

Dr. Zoom

First Post
It is like two-weapon fighting, except there are more than two weapons.

You start with -6 to the primary weapon and -10 to all secondary weapons. Multidex reduces the secondary weapon attacks by 4 to -6. Multiweapon-fighting reduces both penalties by two, unless all secondary weapons are light weapons, in which case the penalties are reduced by 4. So the total penalties are -4, or -2 if all secondary weapons are light.

Since the secondary two-handed weapon is not light, the penalty is -4 to each. As for the strength bonus to damage, I would consider how it works if he used 4 weapons. He gets his full bonus with the primary weapon and half for the 3 secondary weapons. That is a total of 2.5. So give him 1.5 times his strength bonus for the primary weapon, and full strength for his secondary weapon, for a total of 2.5. This would simulate well how it works for two-weapon fighting and two-handed weapons for those with just two arms.

AGGEMAM

First Post
FWIW on the ol' boards, back in august 2001 IIRC, there was an e-mail response from the Sage on this, he basically said that a twohanded is effectively an all-hand weapon in that you cannot wield more than one regardless of the number of arms you have, and that only if you do use all your hands wield said weapon would you gain the x1½ Strength modifier. The last bit is obviously a selfevident extrapolation of the first bit.

Remove ads