D&D (2024) 4e (DnD: Tactics) remake wish list.

mellored

Legend
I think it is possible to replicate 4e with the 5e SRD. Just base everyone at the warlock. Invocation substitute for powers. Pact magic slots can be used to fuel the encounter powers.
Use the heroic rest options with second wind on top.
Probably better to make it a new class than use the warlock.

Call it AEDU 4Ever

Level 1.
Pick a role
Leader: healing word 1/encounter.
Defenders: bonus action mark.
Striker: +1d4 damage.
Controler: push someone on a hit

Pick a power source, and select an at-will power from it.

Level 2: Select an encounter and daily power. Each has prerequisites, and scales automatically.

Level 3 is your sub-class. Giving you a special at-will, encounter, and daily power.

Level 4: feat.

Level 5: select another encounter. Expand your roll feature.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Probably better to make it a new class than use the warlock.

Call it AEDU 4Ever

Level 1.
Pick a role
Leader: healing word 1/encounter.
Defenders: bonus action mark.
Striker: +1d4 damage.
Controler: push someone on a hit

Pick a power source, and select an at-will power from it.

Level 2: Select an encounter and daily power. Each has prerequisites, and scales automatically.

Level 3 is your sub-class. Giving you a special at-will, encounter, and daily power.

Level 4: feat.

Level 5: select another encounter. Expand your roll feature.

I once pondered a generic 4e Adventurer 5e Class like that off the premise that 4E 2nd level is 5E 4-6th level.

1. Power Source (Grants your Daily and At-Will)
    1. Arcane (Wizard cantrip and Spell)
    2. Divine (Cleric cantrip and Spell)
    3. Martial (Fighting Stye and Power Attack)
    4. Primal (Druid cantrip and Spell)
  2. Combat Role (Grants your Encounter plus Role power)
    1. Controller's Check (Slow Down on hit and Restrain 1/SR)
    2. Defender's Mark (Mark on hit and Trip 1/SR)
    3. Leader's Word ("Flank" on Hit and Heal 1/SR)
    4. Striker's Force (+1d6 damage on hit and +Xd4 damage 1/SR)
  3. Adventurer's Hook (Subclass)
  4. Feat
  5. Heroic Power Source (Grants your another Daily and 2nd use of Combat Role)
  6. Utility Power

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
If you're keeping the aedu system, then I think you could replace a bunch of higher powers with the ability to use a higher level "slot" to use a power at higher level. You don't need 3 different fireballs that have different names because the higher level versions deal more damage, just use fireball and boost the damage. Using the 4e psionics might actually be able to format a basis for this, a resource that can boost powers.

I agree that powers within a power source should be grouped and allowed to be accessed by everyone who uses that power source, with the class providing modifiers. I could also see some classes having primary/secondary sources so a paladin might be primary martial/secondary divine.

Haplo781

Legend
If you're keeping the aedu system, then I think you could replace a bunch of higher powers with the ability to use a higher level "slot" to use a power at higher level. You don't need 3 different fireballs that have different names because the higher level versions deal more damage, just use fireball and boost the damage. Using the 4e psionics might actually be able to format a basis for this, a resource that can boost powers.
Psionic augmentation in 4e is less "make a power act like it's higher level" and more "make an at-will act like an encounter".

Aldarc

Legend
4e took the other path and put some formally non-magical classes into magical power sources. The Primal Barbarian work. The Psionic Monk was a stretch. And the Shadow Assassin was lorewise okay but mechanically bad and forced.
The Psionic Monk was hardly a stretch. It worked well IMHO.

Like I said before, the few valid criticisms of 4e was the forcing of things to fit molds and fill holes.
If you said this before, I probably disagreed with it before, because I didn't find it a valid criticism then much like I don't find it a valid criticism now. 🤷‍♂️

Olrox17

Hero
Tthe Shadow Assassin was lorewise okay but mechanically bad and forced.
The 4e shadow assassin was very, very hard to build correctly, but if you did, it was extremely good. And extremely fun! Possibly my favorite 4e PC, alongside the wizard/swordmage hybrid.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The Psionic Monk was hardly a stretch. It worked well IMHO.
I didn't say it didn't work. I said it was a stretch.

Some monks being Psionic makes sense. All monks being Psionic is a Stretch. Because...

If you said this before, I probably disagreed with it before, because I didn't find it a valid criticism then much like I don't find it a valid criticism now. 🤷‍♂️
Then the monk should have been split into 2 classes. A Martial monk and a Psionic Monk.

Much how the Essentials assassin, ranger and barbarian are 2 power sources.

THATS what I meant by forced. Classes were assigned to fit the grid and match up with PHB releases.

How I'd do it.
ControllerDefenderLeaderStriker
ArcaneWizardSwordmageBardWarlock
DivineinvokerPaladinCleric
Templar
Avenger
ElementalElementalistRuneknightSorcerer
GuileSwashbuckler
Gladiator
ArtificerRogue
MartialFighterWarlordBarbarian
Brawler
PrimalProtectorWardenDruid
Shaman
Ranger
PsionicPsionBattlemindArdentMonk
ShadowBinderHexbladeVampireAssassin

This is why I also think classes within the same power source should share powers.

It would have saved book space and allowed more than 8 classes in PHB 1. Then the Barbarian, Bard Druid, and Monk Brawler could have fit in it as classes would have shared powers.

Aldarc

Legend
I didn't say it didn't work. I said it was a stretch.

Some monks being Psionic makes sense. All monks being Psionic is a Stretch. Because...
...you want them to also be martial? That doesn't make psionic monks a "stretch." It means that you have a different aesthetic preference for the monk. That's fine, but not a "stretch."

THATS what I meant by forced. Classes were assigned to fit the grid and match up with PHB releases.
I don't think that "forced" accurately conveys how these classes were likely designed. I don't think that it constitutes "forced design" when the designers try asking what a divine striker or primal leader would look like and develop the Avenger and Shaman. And clearly the designers were not too concerned about filling out grids because they had Warlocks and Sorcerers as arcane strikers, Rogues and Rangers as martial strikers, Bards and Artificers as arcane leaders, plus we also never had a martial controller after three PHBs. I think that the grid-filling critique is mostly overblown. 🤷‍♂️

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases