• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e Multiclassing and Characters from Fiction

AFGNCAAP

First Post
Well, my best guess for LotR would be:

Gandalf: Epic "Human" Wizard with Initiate of the Faith, plus an Outsider/Angelic/Saint/Istari template
Aragorn: Paragon Human Ranger with Student of Battle, or Ranger/Warlord (maybe Half-Elf Ranger with Student of Battle + one other multiclassing ability from racial perks, due to being Dunedain)
Boromir: Paragon Human Fighter with Student of Battle
Gimli: Paragon Dwarf Fighter with dwarf-developed Paragon path
Legolas: Paragon Elf Ranger (archery) with elf-developed Paragon Path
Frodo: Heroic Halfling Warlord (or maybe a Bard, if there's no spellcasting for bards per se, due to a Bardic Knowledge-like ability from his education), advancing into Paragon with the Ringbearer paragon path/template (not "full" like Gollum's, though).
Sam: Heroic Halfling Fighter
Merry: Heroic Halfling Rogue with Student of the Sword (from his service to Theoden)
Pippin: Heroic Halfling Rogue with Student of the Sword (from his service to Denethor)
Eowyn: Heroic Human Fighter
Eomer: Paragon (low) Human Warlord with Student of the Sword
Faramir: Paragon (low) Human Warlord with Student of the Sword
Bilbo: Paragon Halfling Rogue (and, like Frodo, with a bit of Bard due to his education/knowledge)
Elrond: Epic Eladrin Cleric with Student of Battle (maybe Student of the Sword)
Galadriel: Epic Eladrin Warlock (fey pact) with Arcane Initiate (maybe multiclassed into Psion/Psionic class, since that's where the major enchantments are to be)
Gollum: Paragon Halfling Rogue with Ringbearer template/paragon path (complete).
Saruman: Epic "Human" Wizard with Pact Initiate (due to alliegiance with Sauron), plus an Outsider/(Fallen) Angelic/Saint/Istari template
Grima Wormtongue: Human Rogue, trained in Diplomacy
The Witch King: Monster/Epic Human Warlord with Greater Ringwraith template
Ringwraiths: Monster/High Paragon (or low Epic) Human Warlords or Fighters with Student of Battle with Ringwraith template

The One Ring with be an phylactery for Sauron, with the Ring of Invisibility powers (or a long-term duration Ring of Vanishing/Greater Invisibility, since the Ringwearer can attack while invisible with no problem), plus it would bring the wearer into "phase" with the Shadowfell (though still being "in phase" with the Prime Material Plane).

Lothlorien would be a "pocket dimension" of the Feywild (attractive to the elves/eladrin, but not the full-blown realm they desire to return to on the Grey Ships).

Well, that's my best guesses or it.

WyzardWhately

First Post
I wouldn't class Elric out as a Wizard because, despite what a badass magician he's supposed to be, he almost never casts spells. He does stab guys a lot, though. I'd estimate him to be a very high-level fighter with Wizard MC. This works okay in 4E, because he's still going to have high-level Wizard powers, instead of being an 18th-level fighter who can cast Sleep or something.

Cirex

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
What is Student of the Sword?

The feat that lets you pick powers/features from the fighter class. It's the first multiclass feat for the fighter multiclassing path.

Wolfwood2

Explorer
WyzardWhately said:
I wouldn't class Elric out as a Wizard because, despite what a badass magician he's supposed to be, he almost never casts spells. He does stab guys a lot, though. I'd estimate him to be a very high-level fighter with Wizard MC. This works okay in 4E, because he's still going to have high-level Wizard powers, instead of being an 18th-level fighter who can cast Sleep or something.

I don't think he even needs Wizard MC. Multi-classing is for battle magic, and most of Elric's magic is rituals. (Summoning and the like.) Give him the Ritual Casting feat, and he's golden.

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
drjones said:
I'll bite, he seemed like a straight up striker to me, why not just TWF Ranger with racial powers and maybe Rogue multi to broaden?
Well, given the history, he was trained as a fighter. Now "fighter" doesn't necessarily equal "Fighter". I just wanted to try to stat him up as straightforwardly as possible.

Now I could accept that he was trained as a "fighter" but that was really a Ranger with the Dungeoneering skill rather than the Nature skill. This actually seems better to me.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Kwalish Kid said:
Well, given the history, he was trained as a fighter. Now "fighter" doesn't necessarily equal "Fighter". I just wanted to try to stat him up as straightforwardly as possible.

Now I could accept that he was trained as a "fighter" but that was really a Ranger with the Dungeoneering skill rather than the Nature skill. This actually seems better to me.
Both Rangers and Fighters are Martial Power source. Given the tripartite nature of the Drow Schools, they should be considered the Martial, Arcane and Divine Academies.

Further, given that Rangers now are Martial rather than Clerical-Druidic, "Ranger" is just a Fighter with a different fighting style. Even when he was at the Academy his fighting style (and his role among the drow patrols) was 100% Striker, never Defender.

I think the most straightforward way of doing Drizzt is: Drow Ranger; no multi-classing; has Ritual Casting feat.

Seule

Explorer
LotR:
Aragorn: Ranger. Sure others follow him into battle, but does he actually grant them bonuses? I don't think so. Might have some Fighter.
Gimli: Fighter. Classic 4e fighter, no question.
Legolas: Ranger. Classic 4e ranger, no question.
Boromir: Fighter
Gandalf: NPC with whatever abilities he needs at any given time.
Hobbits: Mostly non-adventurers.

Dragonlance:
Raistlin: Wizard or Warlock
Caramon: Fighter
Tanis: Warlord
Flint: Fighter
Riverwind: Ranger maybe?
Goldmoon: Cleric

Most stories with only one or two protagonists don't fall into class roles, because they have to be able to do everything. This is why you can't play James Bond in a Spycraft game, he has to be the best at everything, rather than fitting into a team.
Similarly, the family from the Belgariad are arguably demigods rather than adventurers, and aren't bound by actual game rules.

--Penn

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads