4E or 3.5 or something else - what's in your future?

How are you planning on playing D&D after 4E is out?

• I'm going 4E all the way!

Votes: 61 20.9%
  • I'm going to play 3.x and 4E

Votes: 36 12.3%
  • I'm staying with 3.x, and may or may not use some 4E rules as house rules

Votes: 124 42.5%
  • Other (which I explain below in superior fashion)

Votes: 71 24.3%

smootrk

First Post
I think I will try to setup using Basic Fantasy or even depart fantasy for a while for SciFi using Star Frontiers.

BTW, both can be acquired freely.

Jackelope King

First Post
I'll be picking up 4e, and it may or may not replace 3.Xe for me, depending on where I'm gaming on any given day. However, my main game of choice is likely going to remain either Mutants & Masterminds (or my own system, d20 Advanced), if only because I love the flexibility and the group I'm in for that game is pretty top-flight.

Jayouzts

First Post
After 4E

If I play D&D, it will be 3.5. If I run D&D it will be houseruled 3.5. The only houserule I may incorporate inspired by 4E is that you can use an action point to gain a healing surge (hp = Con Mod * your level).

My preference is to play/run True20. I would also be amenable to other systems (GURPS, Savage Worlds, etc).

Cobblestone

First Post
Post 4e

For stuff I'm running, we're going to let our current 3.5ish campaign run its course (converting the half-orc barbarian, the druid, and the bard to 4e doesn't seem worth the trouble). I'd like to pick up Keep on the Shadowfell as a 4e trial if my group is up for it. After that, it's a Sorcerer game set in the Great Depression, and then a True20ish ASOIAF (set after Queen Daenerys Targaryen dies childless) using a TSOY-style experience sytem (once I work the tweaks out).

For stuff I'm in, it looks like CoC for the foresee-able future.

C-stone

Li Shenron

Legend
I'll keep DMing in 3.0.

One of our other DMs is almost certainly going 4e, although not likely immediately, so I'll try it as a player with him.

The other DM is looking for a different system altogether, and she won't either run 3ed nor 4ed.

If 4e doesn't win me, but the others are tired of me running 3.0, I will probably consider running something new, OD&D and d20 Modern being the most likely candidates.

Oryan77

Adventurer
I know I'm staying 3.5 for a while because I have way too much work put into running a 3.5 Planescape campaign. 4e won't have enough material for the conversion for years if it goes at the same pace that 3e went.

But I'm trying to get my players to DM a 4e game for us. I still want to at least try 4e although I'm not all that thrilled seeing what it's like so far. I really don't have enough problems with 3.5 that make me want a new edition.

So far 4e doesn't seem any better...just different. I only need a new system if it's easier to use. I see a few things in 4e that simplifies some rules, but then it looks like there's new rules added in to make it just as rules heavy as before. I'm not seeing anything that's making me want to switch and the things that are different would have been house rules in my game if I really needed to do it.

DiamondB

Explorer
Originally I planned to stick with my 3.5+ version and avoid 4e altogether. However, after spending some time thinking about what I want out of gaming I've changed my mind.

My current 3.5+ campaign will run its course without an upgrade, which will take at least 6 more months (baring a TPK). During that time I'll keep an eye on 4e, but unless I'm really impressed by it (and the info I have at this point hasn't done it) I likely won't pick it up.

Quite frankly, I will likely migrate over to GURPS, as it is (and has been) the best fit for my gaming desires. Up until now I haven't had a group willing use the system, but that's all changed now.

Remove ads