• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4ed PDFs - Are you still getting the books?

Are you getting the books, with or without the PDFs?

• No - Now that I've got the PDFs I won't bother.

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • No - But I never was going to buy the hard-copies.

Votes: 25 5.7%
  • Yes - The PDFs do not effect my decision to buy the book(s).

Votes: 275 62.6%
  • Yes - the PDFs changed my mind, or clarified my desire, to buy the book(s).

Votes: 36 8.2%
  • I did not, and will not, download the PDFs and am getting the book(s).

Votes: 95 21.6%

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
I have not voted, for lack of choice : I want neither the pdfs to pollute my computer, nor the books to burden my bookshelf.

Transit said:
The 4E - Core Handbook Errors thread (http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=227743&page=10) that is already up to ten pages of problems and typos did.

I think I'm going to wait for a revised printing that clears up all the errors and mistakes before investing in 4E.
2/3 of that thread so far is an argument about how to define a cube. Almost all the rest is misunderstanding of the rule or entry in question.

Treebore

First Post
I don't condone, or participate in illegal PDF's. Still, there has always been illegal PDF copies of the 3E books going around the web. Even well scanned versions. It is very unfortunate that people are thieves, but theft is a reality every business has to just live with.

So the effects of these 4E pirated versions are going to be the same as always, hopefully very minimal, and maybe even balance out a bit in convincing the thieves to buy the actual books. Even though I would say its more likely to convince them to shop lift the hard copies.

Besides, pirating copies isn't worth ever getting caught. Yes, they won't come knocking on your door looking for them. They might come knocking because of suspected drug use, other criminal activity, or vicious ex-lovers and friends reporting you having them.

No pirated PDF is worth spending years in prison and/or paying thousands of dollars in fines. Plus if you work for any level of government, especially if you are a military retiree, you can also lose your retirement.

So pirating is a really, really, stupid thing to do.

However, we humans aren't known for our over all level of intelligence or foresight.

Just do yourself a favor, don't pirate! Not only is it wrong, but its not worth the price you will pay if you ever do get caught and charged.

As for me, I am waiting on the 4E SRD. That might, maybe, possibly, convince me to buy into 4E. Plus its legal.

Silvercat Moonpaw

Adventurer
As much as I'd like to get a look at 4E for free, being such a cheap person that I'd like to try before I buy, I'm not going to be a jerk about it and download illegally.

What I would like is an inexpensive (1/2 the price of a print version) PDF that I can buy from someplace like RPGnow. I'm not enamored enough with what I've heard about 4E to buy and wait for a print version, but something like a $15 PDF would definitely tempt me just to get a look.

Slayen

Explorer
Given that I have almost no will power to resist temptation, of course I grabbed the pdfs.

I'm glad I did to. Why? Because instead of being worried about my pre-order, I can now rest in the knowledge that, yes I will like 4th edition.

Oh sure, there a few things here and there at irk me, but the same can be said about every rpg system I have ever set my eyes on.

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
Around this corner of meatspace, the .pdfs have created a buzz of excitement and anticipation for the books.

Compare this to the WotC preview series, which I never heard anyone express anything positive about. (Again, in this corner of meatspace, the internet or your FLGS may vary)

Treebore

First Post
Slayen said:
Given that I have almost no will power to resist temptation, of course I grabbed the pdfs.

I'm glad I did to. Why? Because instead of being worried about my pre-order, I can now rest in the knowledge that, yes I will like 4th edition.

Oh sure, there a few things here and there at irk me, but the same can be said about every rpg system I have ever set my eyes on.

Well at least delete them now. Its better than risking spending up to 15 years in prison for. Up to 5 years for EACH illegal copy. I think the fine is around $3,000.00 per offense/copy.

All it takes is for some crazy thing to happen to where the law needs to take a look at your hard drive. Or hateful ex who wants to see you burn calling the FBI, or something else equally as unpredictable.

Get rid of the pirated PDF's.

balard

Explorer
It changed my mind from who I'd buy it. I was getting from amazon, but it should have arrived late june(Brazil here), so i will now get then from my FLGS, even if it's 1/3 more expensive.

And i don't downloaded then 'cause i really want to droll over real books, and since I(we) already know so much just by reading forums and WotC site, it would spoil my experience.

If i had heard nothing about the new system i would have grabbed than as soon as i knew about then.

Oompa

First Post
Treebore said:
Well at least delete them now. Its better than risking spending up to 15 years in prison for. Up to 5 years for EACH illegal copy. I think the fine is around $3,000.00 per offense/copy.

All it takes is for some crazy thing to happen to where the law needs to take a look at your hard drive. Or hateful ex who wants to see you burn calling the FBI, or something else equally as unpredictable.

Get rid of the pirated PDF's.

Relax..

And dont assume that if someone has the pdf, it is illegal.. Some country's downloading is legal as it gets.. like in Holland the only illegal download is software.. all the other stuff is just legall..

But spreading it all is illegal..

Mercurius

Legend
Well based simply on this poll so far, there is a net gain of 19 customers for Wizards of the Coast based simply on the PDFs (27 positive to 8 negative). Now of course most of those folks probably would have looked at the books before buying them anyways, so it would depend upon who was going to, or not, pre-order. And then you have to take into account satisfied customers (most companies, at least the intelligent ones, would rather have someone not buy it than buy it and be unhappy).

So overall I see nothing negative about the PDFs, only positive hype.

Remove ads