• By the book

Votes: 104 79.4%
  • Limited to 1 concentration spell in effect, but I forget to ask for checks

Votes: 23 17.6%
  • We just track spell durations

Votes: 4 3.1%

Xeviat

Hero
Lately, I've been growing frustrated with the Concentration mechanics in spells. I think it might be applied a little too much across the spells (I just realized, today, that Protection from Energy is concentration, but Protection from Poison isn't). I tend to not really bother with concentration checks in my game, and I feel that the number of concentration spells can really hurt options (a warlock trying to limit the number of concentration spells they know, or paladin and rangers having to use concentration spells while in the thick of melee).

I was curious of the community's thoughts on the concentration mechanic.

Nebulous

Legend
For better or worse, a massive amount of the 5e combat system is balanced around concentration. Nearly all the best spells require it, and the risk of losing that precious slot because you failed a Con check is one of those balancing factors. Sometimes a spell is SO damn good that the best option (for PCs and DM both) is to hurt that spellcaster. Ranged attacks are usually best. The more the better.

We have always found it a very hard thing to remember, but since we are also a very minis heavy game, any concentrating spellcaster has a colored tab under the miniatures.

And I will point out for those who don't know (and I didn't for a long time) when you READY a spell, it counts as concentrating, even if it is not a concentration spell.

Nebulous

Legend
I am on the fence regarding concentration. It keeps the balance of power in check, but it is also too limiting in many respects, and for the enemy, too damn easy to break concentration. Even a wizard hit by a single magic missile, 2 points from a dagger, and 1 point from a waffled firebolt, would be forced to roll three DC 10 Con saves to maintain his spell.

Last edited:

Usually, concentration spells cast on an enemy don't last long because they will soon make their saves (and the bounded accuracy making it nearly impossible to have spell stick very long, even on underlings). So it's mainly a mechanics to keep in check the pre-battle buffing, to avoid protection spells to be cast preemptively and stacking throughout combat. I can see the balance goal, but that, combined with the dearth of utility spells compared to 3.5, has in my opinion strenghtened the "blaster mage" archetype. We play by the book, but I hope the players don't feel shoehorned into playing blaster mages...

ad_hoc

(they/them)
It's a fantastic source of tension at our table.

When the spellcaster gets hit will they lose that important spell which is keeping half the enemy forces at bay?

What about when the evil spellcaster is doing the same? Can the PC successfully knock the evil wizard senseless enough to free their allies?

I like the idea of concentration in general, but there are some issues:
  • Since concentration is limited to one spell, casters tend to cast only the "best" concentration spells, meaning there are tons of spells in the PHB that nobody ever bothers taking.
  • Concentration encourages cowardly play from casters. It's better to hide behind a corner after casting your spell than to risk taking any hits at all and losing concentration.
  • Since concentration is easily lost when taking damage, self-buff spells that could help out in melee are pretty useless to most casters who don't have a way of boosting their con saves.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases