50 000 gp for 50 +5 arrows ? how about infinity arrows for 90 000 gp ?

Bastoche

First Post
Feat: craft woundrous item
Item: masterwork quiver
spell: greater magic weapon (third level for sor/wiz, fourth for cleric)
caster level: 15th

Enchant a quiver that can use-activated the greater magic weapon when 20 arrows are stored in. Tadda ! 20 + 5 arrows for 15 hours.

What ? You're out of arrows ? Well take a standard action which provokes AoO to put another 20 arrows in the quiver. Tadda ! 20 +5 arrows ! Repeat whenever needed.

Is there something that I'm missing ?

If made by a cleric, it's blessed on top of that. And keep you precious money to buy a +5 shocking burst flaming burst mightycomposite bow ! (remember, arrows bonus and bow bonus stacks !)

Last edited:

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Bastoche said:
Is there something that I'm missing ?
Yes: The prices of custom magic items can't just be taken directly out of the book - especially if there's no daily limitation for the effect.

BlindKobold

First Post
90,000gp would be about right... consider:

* The arrows aren't always magical. If the character is suprised or the spell just expired, they are normal arrows.

* It's a spell, not a permanent magic item and is therefore subject to a dispel magic (which would get ALL arrows).

* The character must carry quivers of normal arrows... which means on a dungeons crawl, he could be overloaded.

*Loading a quiver is not a standard action... I would make it a full round action at least to put 20 arrows into a quiver...

Darkness

BlindKobold said:
90,000gp would be about right...
You don't see me disagreeing; rather, I pointed out what he apparently missed. :D Still, I honestly can't tell what the price for something like this should be...

Bastoche

First Post
Darkness said:
Yes: The prices of custom magic items can't just be taken directly out of the book - especially if there's no daily limitation for the effect.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean.

And now that I think of it, a command word quiver would be better. It takes you a standard action at the beginning of the fight, but you're sure to have them. And it cost a little less; 81000 gp. And remember you have to sleep 8 hours/day, 15+8 = 23. One hour left...

Th dispel magic is temporary and with the command word quiver, you would simply lose another standard action. And if I'm not mistaken, an enhanced arrow would lose it's magic under a dispel magic (but would return when the dispel magic is over, most of the times late after the fight has ended...)

Tha carrying capacity is a problem with any kind of arrows.

I would agree on the full round action to load the quiver...

Last edited:

Petrosian

First Post
Or you could have a command word buckle of cure minor wounds for about 900 gols total, 450 to make and have the ability to cure 60 hp per minute of non-combat time. Heal your entire party in 5 minutes it takes for the post-combat smoke.

or you could have any number of things as long as your DM is absent.

The item creations rules are for GUIDELINES for pricing items you (the DM) allow into the game. They don't even enter the fray until you (the DM) say "OK thats fine, now what does it cost."

So first you go to your GM and ask for "a custom item that lets me whip out 50 +5 arrows on demand."

If he says "hey what a cool idea. i would love to have those all over my campaign. lets do it." then you get to dicker over cost.

Same with the cure thing.

Same with any of the possible combos created because WOTC was silly enough to believe their customers would understand the DMs role in making balance decisions.

Even HERO fans understand this, sigh.

Bastoche

First Post
I did not thougth so many "loopholes" existed. That's why I started the thread. It's just the very first time I get so dillusionned about the "balance perfection" of 3E. Your exemple's a good one too.

And since enhanced arrows are wasted after they hit, the spell greater magic weapon is very valuable.

Last edited:

Darkness

Bastoche said:

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean.
The point is, the prices for custom magic items in the DMG are only guidelines, not hard-and-fast rules. So it might cost a lot more (or less, but that's unlikely in this case) than 90,000 gp.

Skullfyre

First Post
If you wanted to and had the book Traps and Treachery from Fantasy Flight games(page 130)
You could create an Infinite quiver (considered a medium wonderous item)
Caster level 7th
Prerequisites: Craft Wonderous Item,Craft Magic Arms and Armor,Minor Creation
Market Price: 50,000 gp.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Petrosian said:

Even HERO fans understand this, sigh.

HEY that's not nice. At least put a smiley face or something when you insult us hero fans.

and anyways Hero fans would actually understand that better since the entire system is so open for abuse a DM is needed in every part of character creation. Systems like d&d don't have that dm funciton as a necessity nearly as much so D&D fans would be less likely to get this.

Remove ads