jasper

Rotten DM
Storm King’s Thunder Session 2

Chapter 1 High Noon in Nightstone

Day 1 Noon to Day 2 Morning

PC Killed 0 Monsters Killed 25 Villains Captured 1 Villains Escaped 16

Start Time 6:21 End Time 8:40

Promote to 3rd level if 2nd. 10 downtime days. 366 GP

I had a very strong group of eight. Keeper Bard 2 Eladrin. Zar Barbarian 2 Brass Dragonborn. Dag Barbarian 2 Goliath. Thea Druid 2 Wood Elf. Samantha Monk 2 Variant Human. Echo Light Cleric 2 Human. Silk Arcane Trickster 4 Half-elf. Haru Hunter Ranger 4 Wood Elf.

DM Note. Normal tables are 3 to 7 people but around Season 10 they removed the restriction. But if the table wants to split, we can. This is becoming more a slapstick comedy show than hard grim dark fantasy.

Rule Question Jumping. Your Strength score determines how far you jump. Long Jump. Running start of 10 feet, you cover a number of feet up to your Strength Score. This rule is mostly ignored in favor of athletics or acrobatics skill checks. I had two reasons to use it as written. 1. We are still learning the rules. 2. Adventure had specific way on jumping the broken bridge.

After tying Gum-Gum up, the group decides to check out the broken bridge. After a couple of seconds of determining who is the strongest in physical strength, Dag jumps the 14 foot 11 inch and Fifteen/ sixteenth distance. Having be explained how to use a piton, she creates a one rope bridge which everyone makes across without any problems except for Mr. Keeper.

Mr. Keeper, “I hop on my horse and ride the twenty feet to the closed gate. Hey. You in there. We are a rescue party. Open up. Why no Clip Clop of horses hoofs?” He looks down. No Horse. He looks back across the bridge. Where Queen Mab is cropping some grass, she looks at her new owner and snorts in disgust. She waves a hoof at him and goes back to stable.

Dar, “Looks like Queen gave you the finger. You in keep open door before I Hufflepuff and fart my way in. I learn that in reading bed time stories to myself. I fall asleep before end. Does wolf win? Does Harry Potter open a four twenty store?”

Torem Black, “Okay. Okay. We the only remaining people in the keep. Who are you? Where are the rest of the villagers?”

Alara Winterspell, “Goblin hiding behind the light cleric!” She snaps her longbow to the ready position. The group calms down the guards. Rocks fell from the sky and lots of people including Lady Nandar died. Some villagers and guards were seen fleeing toward the Dripping Caves in the north. The caves are about a mile away. Toward dusk yesterday four pale skinned giants descended from their cloud and took the Nightstone from the center of the town square. The Nightstone was massive chunk of obsidian with strange glyphs which radiate magic under detect magic spells but what type was not given to the guards.

Dag starts to grip the kitchen is under rocks when a war horn is heard outside the town. Getting to the top of the bailey is easy either by taking the stairs, or leaping from giant stone to giant stone. In the distance the seven merchants on horses are coming. As they get closer they fly the flag of “Mr. Haney” merchant company. Kella is an employee of the company. The company rides into the stable. Two minutes later they ride out on Queen Mab and King Corn. They spur them across the gap dropping ropes behind them. Five minutes later they have a three rope infantry bridge build.

Xolkin Alassandar, “Open up in the name of Mr. Haney for honest and true deals.” The group lets the merchants in. As they getting to know one another, the war horn of the Orc Ear Seeker tribe is heard. A few minutes later the orcs lay siege to the keep.

The group start off on the defensive hiding behind the castle bailey wall against the twenty-two orcs. Then Echo gets tired and opens the keep door and charges across the bridge. Only to slap on brakes as she sees the gaping hole. She is immediately zeroed out. Zar leaps across the bridge and does a hero three-point landing.

As more arrows hit the bridge around Gum-Gum and his boss, he shoves the rope into a hole and pushes off. Gum-Gum, “WEE. I knew adventurers swing but not in this fashion.” Echo yo-yo down to the end of rope and then becomes a swing set for the goblin. He feeds a potion of healing to her.

The monk hopscotches across both bridges and kicks the orc cleric in the nose. “See Silk. You can sneak attack now. Sneak Attack Now. Only Noes. Seven of them are targeting me. Sneak attack PLEASE, “cries Samantha.

The bard leaps across the bridge and belly flops on the other side. Thea tries to follow but belly flops into the moat. But somehow floats? Dag follows and belly flops onto an orc killing it. Echo does Radiance of Dawn which clears part of bridge and then cuts the rope dropping both her and the goblin into the moat. She swims toward Thea who was caught up on a mysterious rock which just appeared to keep her from sinking.

The orcs retreat leaving twelve of their number behind to include the cleric. The four guards and one merchant have died. The group huddle together for a short rest. Zar recognizes the merchants are members of the Black Guard which is an enforcer unit for the Zhentarium. The group wisely decides to slip any loot found in the town with the Zhents.

The next morning, they head out to check out the caves.

End of Session 426

jasper

Rotten DM
Storm King’s Thunder Session 3

Chapter 1 Dripping the Trip

Day 2 Morning to Day 2 Noon

PC Killed 0 Monsters Killed 35 Villains Captured 1 Villains Escaped 16

Start Time 6:05 End Time 8:45

Promote to 4th level if 3rd. 10 downtime days. 189 GP

Magic Item Faire Fire Scroll

If you did not play this session, you can burn 10 Downtime days and promote your PC.

I had a very strong group of seven. Thea Druid 3 Wood Elf. Mr. Keeper Eloquence Bard 3 Eladrin. Zar Wild Magic Barbarian 3 Dragonborn. Haru Hunter Ranger 4 Wood Elf. Silk Arcane Trickster Half-elf with Purple Eyes. Hail (formerly Echo) Cleric 3 Shifter Longstrider. No Cleric 1 Wizard 2.

Note. I will be changing the sign in chart for 10 slots.

The group heads into the woods to scout for the missing towns people out the goodness of their hearts. About an hour into the search they find a lone goblin guarding a cave entrance. The goblin is not of Gum-gum tribe. Suddenly a border collie runs pass it into the brush where the party is hiding. The goblin Gleek starts to chase the border collie. He remembers he is on guard duty and turns back.

Silk, “I charge up behind and use sneak attack! NAT 1”.

Gleek, “um pardon me. Is that a SHEATH dagger at my throat? LOSER. DISENGAGE. Where do all these arrows come from. ACK!” Gleek falls at the entrance before sounding the alarm. Thea runs up to the entrance and the others mostly follow. She gasps as the naked ogre Nob gets out his mud bath.

Nob, “Too early for lunch. Uber has not been invented yet. Hey youse guys. Second Breakfast on the hoof.” He swings on druid. Five goblins start firing at her. Half the group enters the cave complex the other wait outside. Nob, “No dodging. Hey more food outside. Wife. Wife. Food at front door. Thog. Get your ass up and help with the vittles. “A female ogre wakes and charges Zar who rages and starts to teleport. Thog, “NO. BLINK. NO. BLINK. DM. BARBARAIN NOT PLAY FAIR.”

DM, “It is in the Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything. Barbarian. Subclass….”

Thog, “Take that subclass and shove it up your BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.”

Goblins fall to Zar’s Axe. Gum-Gum falls to Thog’s club as Hail shifts out the way. A fireball goes off from No using a tattoo. (DM Points.) With two goblins left, suddenly a new goblin runs in wear a red cap. Pox, “Lassie. Run Home. Get Help.”

Silk, “I am not.” Two arrows and sword go into him before he pulls of his disguise. “Not fair DM.”

DM, “You cast disguise self on yourself. As a goblin. And no one rolled about a ten. Besides half the table is laughing. “Note the spell it was supposed to be Investigation against spell dc. Not against your deception. OOPS.

As Pox and Slibbedabber fall dead, they see Lassie turn into a half-elf. “Nasty elves!” mumbles Pox. Search the caves they find the survivors. They are.

Haru, “Any of them single? Good Looking. And marriageable?”

Six guards whom are down to 1d6 hit points even after a long rest, take a short rest and recover the goblins weapons. They head out the cave. The Agganor Family which has Destiny age 42 tiefling midwife and her son.

Haru, “Too OLD.”

The Delfryndel family owners of the windmill are Rennara age 64 human, with her son Zalf and his family.

Haru, “Really Too OLD.”

The Osstra family are the wheat farmers and the father Thelbin and his husband Brynn with their nephew.

Haru, “I am not breaking up a married a couple.”

The Summerhawk family are a halflings. Taela is the village apothecary and she has four kids.

Haru, “Business owner good. But too many kids.”

The Nesper family are the squash and pumpkin farmers. Only the daughter Yondra age 15 and her brother Sarvin.

Haru, “Just right. She inherits land. And I a Noble. We can marry young. There is only three years’ difference! Yondra with your hair. DM is she a ten or a one?”

The towns people break into the rations Mr. Keeper has in his wagon. Daphne Featherstone (No age given) the lady in waiting to the dead Lady Nandar organizes chow. Meanwhile the group decides what to do with the people they rescued. Do they leave them alone? Take them back to Nightstone. Marry one of them. Take them to the nearest big town. What type of adventuring band are we? Good, Bad, or indifferent.

During the discussion they do talk to various people. Morak the inn owner asks them to travel to various locations to deliver death notices. The guards return and confer with the survivors.

Yondra Nesper, “Ok noble Haru. I will marry you. Only if you get my town back. The Zhentarim Seven Snakes banner flies from the church steeple. And the bridge is up. You must take the town with you and your fellow adventurers. What say you?”

Mr. Keeper, “I say the wedding colors are going to be orange and what color of squash do you grow?”

Next Session Attack the Town and A Wedding.

Session after that. We on the Road to Goldenfields.

DM Notes. I been only raising the HP of various monsters for some of the battles. The table has been coming in as strong or very strong. Which means for Adventure League rules I need to start including more monsters, increasing HP, and other things. But this is still a learning group so I will not always do that.

We will be bouncing off homebrew with wife Yondra Nesper and Gum-gum. I will treat them as companions which go right after your turn. Gum-gum will not go into the back pack or ride Hail. You will need a mini for your companions. Check the counter, they sell minis.

I will try to get to the store earlier to answer questions and deal with the craziness.

End of Session 428

jasper

Rotten DM
The SKT people are learning so I been cutting them some slack. They have adopted Gum-Gum which I will be treating as sidekick. And the wife we are still discussing.

jasper

Rotten DM
Storm King’s Thunder Session 4

Chapter 1 Wedding Bells

Day 2 Noon to Day 6 Morning

PC Killed 0 Monsters Killed 40 Villains Captured 1 Villains Escaped 31

Start Time 6:1 End Time 8:45

10 downtime days. 100 GP

Story Award Snake Eyes for Seven Snakes. You bought out the Zhentarim. They didn’t stay bought. 10% of a Zhentarim knowing about you. 10% per ten day of the ones who were involved being arrested.

I had a very strong group of eight. Haru Hunter Ranger 4 Wood Elf Noble of Waterdeep. Silk Arcane Trickster 4 Half-elf. Mr. Keeper Eloquence Bard 4 Eladrin. Zar Wild Magic Barbarian 4 Dragonborn. Dag Totem Warrior barbarian 4 Goliath. Thea Moon Druid 4 Wood Elf. Spark Cleric 4 Kobold. No Wizard 3 Cleric 1 Human.

After some discussion the group comes up with a cunning plan. Let’s see how it going to work.

Silk turns invisible and Thea becomes a rat and they swing across the moat entering the Nightstone from one the collapse watch towers. Haru, Mr. Keeper, Zar, and Dag approach the drawbridge which is up. Meanwhile, Doctor No and Spark are just walking through the woods trying to find a main road.

Mr. Keeper, “Oh fine Mr. Xolkin Alassandar. I see you forgot we were out rescuing the good towns people of Nightstone. We killed some ogres and goblins. Most of townspeople were not eaten. So please let us in.”

Xolkin, “You appear to be mistaken in the facts of this morning. You are totally wrong in all your statements.”

Mr. Keeper, “But we just left Nightstone at 7:30 this morning.”

Mayor Xolkin, “That is Mayor. Me and the good towns people took a census of the town at eight this morning. I was elected by all seven residents of the town.”

Mr. Keeper, “Mayor but we were in Nightstone this morning.”

Mayor Xolkin, “We may or may not had visitors this morning but the great town of”, he flips a freshly painted sign over. “Seven Snake Town. Only has seven fully time residents according to the census. I even did a great speech of how we going to improve a town we found totally abandoned at 7:50 this morning. And looking to my left and right. My fellow townspeople appear uneaten.”

Kella, “Well one of was well eaten this.” (DM Kids are going to be reading this. Behave.) A rat waves pink flag from the top of wall unseen by the Seven Snakes. Bert does not see an invisible mage hand push his quiver off the walk into the town side of the wall. The rat begins nibbling on the rope holding the draw bridge up. Meanwhile Doctor No and Sparks find a main road.

Sparks flips a coin, “Heads we go north.”

Mr. Keeper, “Being a new town. Your treasury must be empty. With all that rock damage, it would be expensive to repair. How about we buy the town, keep, and surrounding lands for 1, 280 gold pieces. How does that sound?”

Mayor Xolkin, “How about four thousand gold pieces.” The rat spits out hemp and continues to chew.

Mr. Keeper, “This great noble of Waterdeep Haru. He has something to say.”

Haru, “I just want to get married in town. I will toss in an extra grand if you sell.”

Doctor No and Spark enter chat. Doctor No, “I will toss in two copper pieces I earned from your mother from selling. CENSORED.”

Mayor Xolkin, “Mom is finally earning good for selling CENSORED AGAIN.” The rat spits out more rope and wishes they hurry up. “So your offer is 2,680 GP and 2 CP pieces. I am afraid you are kind of short. I think 4 grand is a reasonable offer.”

Mr. Keeper, “Oh I forgot to introduce my other companion. Say hello Dag.”

Dag rips off their shirt and show off their muscles and flexes. “HELLO DAG. DAG BREAKS HEADS IF NO DEAL.” The rope parts.

Mayor Xolkin looks at the open drawbridge and does a quick count, “You know the Seven Snakes Merchant house can find a new outlet at Daggerford. We on our way in a half hour. Good luck on your wedding.”

The wedding ceremony is performed by Spark who bake blessed pumpkin pies. The activities include jump the broom stick. Riddle the Riddle. Tart tasting. And other activities. (DM NOTE the +2 to AC will go away on Day 13. I am adjusting the time limit.)

After the fade to black, our heroes come across an ambush set by the Zhentarim. Out number 1.5 to 1 a fireball, and quick chopping up of the boss ends the ambush with most of the minions fleeing. The bodies are taken into Waterdeep and the nobles sign out a warrant for the Seven Snakes. Haru is not happy his claim to Nightstone may take one month to three years to process. The group goes shopping and leaves town on the morning of day six.

DM Note You are in Waterdeep. Shopping Trip.

You can buy 1 5th level scroll for 1,000 GP. 1 4th level scroll for 500 GP. A total of five scrolls 3rd level and under. That is NOT 5 scrolls per level. Cantrip 25 GP. 1st level 75 GP. 2nd level 150 GP. 3rd level 300.

Potion of Healing 50 GP. Climbing 75 GP. Animal Friendship 100 GP. Greater Healing 100 GP. Water Breathing 100 GP. Superior Healing 500 GP. Supreme Healing 5,000 GP. Invisibility 5,000 GP.

You can buy the elephant. BUT you need to feed it and it is not trained in combat.

You can buy want you want but remember Beyond will list things for sale which are not Adventure League legal. Ignore the Spending Treasure Points part of Xanathar’s Guide as AL is no longer doing Treasure Points. Check out the FAQ V11.1 online or in the box.

Nobles I will need a coat of arms from you.

Read up on Mounted Combat.

Your sidekicks will need to be outfitted. A warrior is considered to be a fighter.

You can drop your backgrounds and story into a thread or message me directly.

End of Session 430

Attachments

• 20230531_194235.jpg
    20230531_194235.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 53
  • Wedding 1.jpg
    Wedding 1.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 49
  • wedding 4.jpg
    wedding 4.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Wedding 5.jpg
    Wedding 5.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 49
  • wedding party.jpg
    wedding party.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 48

jasper

Rotten DM
Storm King’s Thunder Session 5

Chapter 1 Sky Castle

Day 6 Morning To Day 8 Noon

PC Killed 0 Monsters Killed 40 Villains Captured 1 Villains Escaped 33

Start Time 6:1 End Time 8:45

10 downtime days. Take a level. 100 GP.

Magic Item Pixie Dust 10 doses. One dose can be the material component of any third level or lower spell. Or see chart on page 35. 0-70 Fly speed 60 10 minutes. 71-80 DC 11 Con or unconscious. 81-90 DC 11 Wisdom or Confusion spell. 91+ Invisible spell 1 hour.

Story Award Murder on a Stick. You murdered four Lord’s Alliance members for reasons. 10% of a Lord’s Alliance member knowing your faces.

Story Award Short Temper. You murdered four dwarves of Mithral Hall. 10 % chance of Mithral Hall family member knowing your deeds.

Story Award Friend of Zephyros. You met the Storm Giant Wizard Zephyros who knows you are planed touched. And will restore the ordning. (This applies to everyone who has played.)

I had an average group of five. Haru Hunter Ranger 4 Wood Elf Noble of Waterdeep. Silk Arcane Trickster 4 Half-elf. Mr. Keeper Eloquence Bard 4 Eladrin. Smack Battlemaster 4 Human. Yondra Warrior 1 human sidekick.

The party is enjoying the Spring sun shine when a cloud starts following them. A few minutes later four small clouds start descending toward them. Smack and Haru dive for the wood line and Silk rolls out the way as Mr. Keeper is crushed.

Mr. Keeper, “Help. I can’t see. This cloud is sticky and sweet.” He is guided out the cloud by Silk’s voice. When he cleans his eyes out he sees a huge cloud giant. The giant runs a finger down him removing the white glob.

Zephyros, “Sorry. Left the window open and the wind blew the marshmallows out the window. You are the ones from my dreams and planar contact. You will restore the ordning. What the ordning? That is best told later in an info dump but I will take you to your next destination as we talk. Goldenfields is a day and half away. Should have no trouble on the way. Sorry about the home. It is my retirement home and I not use to small folk visiting. I will toss down some of my granddaughter’s toys and bedding so you can be comfortable.” The cloud castle is three levels. The dining room is the only room the group can get to as no stairs exist to the other levels. The giant floats to other levels. He serves them tea and a light brunch when visitors show up.

The visitors are from the Howling Wind cult and are looking to ally with storm giants to bring back the all natural life. No car, no phones, not a single luxury. Just hunting and gathering as nature intended. Silk turns invisible and spies on the cult members. They are crazy nature lovers. The next morning Zephyros decides not to join them and the cult members leave peaceful. The castle moves on.

During a light brunch a silver dragon is seen out the open door, it is holding six dwarves in the foreclaws. Zephyros goes upstairs to warn it off. As the dragon gets closer the dwarves are released and feather fall to the entrance. As soon as they land three slam back potions of gaseous form.

Daina Ungart, “Make way. By order of Queen Dagnabbet we are here to seize all navigation orbs. Do not interfere with this task varmints. Forward my brave dwarf men.”

Smack, “Queen Ding Bat? Never her of her. Who are you?”

Diana Ungart, “Who are you? You ugly human with a walking stick!”

Smack said cheesy, “This is smacking stick too.” He stabs Diana and faire fire appears on and around him. Three clouds move to the second floor as the group slowly take combat the invaders. The castle shutters to a halt and Diana Ungart and Ildehar Ironfist fall.

Hewen Horn, “Retreat and bail.” He gasps as three shots land. The remaining force disengages toward the landing. The dwarves pullout Polaroid cameras and take snapshots. “We will remember this.” They cross their arms and step into the void.

Mr. Keeper, “SLEEP UP CASTED.” The silver dragon flashes pass the door diving toward the assault party. As the group spies over the lip of the landing they see the dragon rescue two of dwarves. Two plow into the road below.

Smack, “That going to leave a dent. And I don’t think it is pot hole season.”

The giant activates the stairs. Examining the bodies, the group finds out the dwarves are members of the Lord’s Alliance and Mithral Hall. Knowing they are still in Waterdeep lands, the laws of Waterdeep will apply to them if charges are brought. Zephyros points to Goldenfields which is only four miles away.

DM NOTES. When you arrive at Goldenfields seek out Miros Xelbrin to tell him his parents are dead.

Story Awards are small or large plot hooks/points which can affect the story or PC. Please put them in your PC notes. Please bring them up if the situation in the game would do so.

You can research factions and choose one.

Do not forget you can choose a free feat of Tough, Skilled, or Magic Initiate at first level or during a rebuild. We need to do a general D&D chat and research day. As I spot checked Haru’s character sheet and it has problems. I will fix as much as possible and talk with him in person later.

We will pick back up in Chapter 2 Page 44.

End of Session 433

jasper

Rotten DM
Storm King’s Thunder Session 6

Chapter 2 Laws Stop at Walls

Day 8 Noon to Day 8 Evening

PC Killed 0 Monsters Killed 47 Villains Captured 1 Villains Escaped 33

Start Time 6:11 End Time 7:35

10 downtime days. 20 GP.

I had a weak group of four Haru Hunter Ranger 5 Wood Elf. Zar Wild Magic Barbarian 5 Brass Dragonborn. Mr. Keeper Eloquence Bard 5 Eladrin. Smack Pole Arm Master 5 Human.

After kick some dirt over the bodies of Diana Ungart and Hewen Horn, the party slowly walked through the outlying farmland of Goldenfields. Goldenfields is a huge farming town over eight miles long. The walls are mostly sixty feet high but someone has not been paying for the upkeep. The Southeast wall is especially weak. The gatehouse has over ten guards station on the walls. The group is having trouble gaining access when a noble waddled out of guard station.

Hantanus Tarm, “So adventurers are wanting in to the fine town of Goldenfields. Why should we let you in? Oh, sorry Lord Smack and Lord Haru, it is always exciting to have fellow Waterdeepvain visit. Perhaps later we can go wolf hunting? The only inn is Northfurrow’s End. My aid does say the person Miros Xelbrin is the owner of THAT establishment. It is about two miles to only town. And the town doesn’t have coach service.”

Arriving at Northfurrow’s Smack nearly draws his sword at the Yeti behind the bar, but Miros just laughs at him. Mr. Keeper stumbles over bringing Miros up to date. The rest of the party tries to help but makes it worst. “Let me see if I got this straight. Giants from a cloud threw rocks at my home town. It was followed up by a goblin raid. Then when you were out of town the Black Snakes tried to steal the town. And Haru here married little Yondra so he can claim the town as his fiefdom. Okay I going to need a day or two to process this.”

Meanwhile the beautiful mousy Naxene Drathkala is distracted by Smack’s muscles and they have a private conversion while both of them pump each other for more information. While Smack is busy, Haru and the rest take Tarm up on his wolf hunt. Everyone but Tarm gets at least a kill, and Tarm pays the bounty on the wolves.

Getting back in town, Mr. Keeper gets a meeting with Abbot Ellardin Darovik.

Abbot Ellardin, “Laws stop at walls. But if a magistrate takes up the cases it would come down to the testimony. By your account members of Lords’ Alliance and Mithral Hall have three counts of attacking nobles. In the Deep that would be flogging, tenday in jail, up to five hundred GP in fines. One count of Burglary or Robbery for the destruction of Zephyros’ navigation orb. That would be three months’ imprisonment. Cost of damaged orb plus five hundred GP. The counter charges would be four counts of Murdering a citizen with justification. So exile for five years or three years of hard labor, or up to one thousand GP paid to their kin. I don’t know if the dwarf house of Mithral Hall will declare you outlaw but that is personal matter between you and them. I will send a work party to dig the two bodies out of their holes and bury them here. I will also send a report on to the Deep. It should take three or so days to hit the clerk’s office. Try not to kill any of my citizens. Good day.”

The group takes supper at the only inn.

DM Notes. Take a short rest. I will get out the 1E DMG and figure out how much it would be to clean up and rebuild Nightstone. An exciting event will happen next time, be prepare to run a NPC. I will look into see if I can create a Sidekick on Beyond.

Do we need a day/night where we just work on PCs and ask questions? My Dragonlance Campaign is on hold at the moment and so I will have some Saturdays free.

End of Session 436

jasper

Rotten DM
Storm King’s Thunder Session 7

Chapter 2 Inn and Out

Day 8 Evening to Day 9

Mirtul 8 to Mirtul 9

PC Killed 0 Monsters Killed 77 Villains Captured 3 Villains Escaped 40

Start Time 6:20 End Time 8:58

10 downtime days. GP 2,222. Take a level.

I had a strong group of six. Mr. Keeper Lord Bard 5 Eladrin. Zar Wild Magic Barbarian 5 Brass Dragonborn. Thea Circle of the Mood Druid Wood Elf. Jonathan Bond Clockwork Sorcerer 3 Hexblade Warlock 2 Monodrone. Pew Fighter 5 human. Silk Arcane trickster 5 Half-elf.

Town Drunk, “It is 0200 and I need a drink. And the ogres, bugbears and goblins are about to raid the bar. Shoot. ALARM. GIANT KIN ATTACKING THE CITY. BAR, CHURCH AND GRANARY. ALARM. It is closing time boys and girls. Shoot. I am the only one in the bar. Katie Bar the Door. Katie not here. Oren Yogilvy bar the door. Wait a moment I am Oren.” The town drunk bars the door as wave of attackers attack the inn.

Naxene Drathkala handcuffs Pew to the bed and goes to the window and preps spells.

Pew, “Hey I wasn’t even here last session. Unlock these handcuffs!”

Pew’s Player, “Shut it. I already made enough adult jokes about what happen last week to make the dm blush. Pick those pink plush handcuffs.”

DM NOTE. Keep the NPCs I gave out with you. They go right after you in initiative. They will stick around with you while at Goldenfields and maybe afterwards.

DM NOTE. This battle scene is very confusing when you first read it. Run in waves and read page 49 about the enemies in the wave. The distances are off too so go for drama distance instead map distance.

Shutters and windows go up and unfriendly fire and Hypnotic Pattern is laid down to slow some of the midnight menace. Web, forced movement, and focus fire starts to take down monsters.

Ogre, “How dare the DM declare us to be monsters! We have souls. We have free will. We have.”

DM, “Triple disadvantage next round.”

Ogre, “You bas….”

DM, “Keep it PG. While the table is rated R. The write up isn’t!”

Zar tosses herself from a ground level window and goes to town with flowers in her hair. And all around her causing difficult terrain. She rages and frenzy to take out a goblin.

Thea, “Turn the Monkey mini around it is looking into my soul. Kill that bugbear.” The table look strangely at Thea and the DM turns the mini to face Pew. Nat 20s on the players’ side are helped out by Nat 1s on the DM side. The DM dumps dice, minis, and markers on the floor before standing up to control the battle better.

As the last ogre falls they hear trouble at the granary. They dash to the silo to save the beer. Goblins, bugbears and two hill giants have already broken into the warehouse and drank all the beer. Pew, “TAKE NOT PRISIONERS. Why are goblins falling from the sky?” Goblin huckers fall on and around the adventurers as they save the silo. As the battle ends, the towns people sing out they have protected the church and took prisoners.

DM Note. Huckers went on 20 and 0. +3 to hit for 5 HP. Random roll for target. Copies of the Realms Calendar will be in the black box.

You have captured the Hill Giants Lob and Ogg. You will deal with them next sessions. You have access to the following quests.

Shalvus Martholio wants you to escort him to Bargewright Inn about 1 day away. Page 73

Lifferlas suggests you seek out the druid Aerglas at Shadowtop Cathedral about 20 days away. Page 107

Zi Liang wants you to deliver a package to Waterdeep about five days away. Page 112.

Miros Xelbrin wants you travel to Amphail two days away and talk with Arleosa Starhenge owner of the Stag-Horned Flagon. Page 72.

Naxene Drathkala wants you to talk to the dragon expert Chazluath Yarghorn in Waterdeep which five days away. Page 112.

Oren Yogilvy wants a wellness check on his sister Lilly who runs the Happy Cow in Daggerford which ten days away and south of Nightstone. Page 80.

End of Session 441

jasper

Rotten DM
Storm King’s Thunder Session 8

Chapter 3 Into the Woods

Day 9 to Day 15

Mirtul 9 to Mirtul 15 Dusk

PC Killed 2 Monsters Killed 79 Villains Captured 3 Villains Escaped 70

Start Time 6:26 End Time 8:20

Take 10 downtime days.

Special Thanks to Patrick and Marc for the random encounters.

Mr. Keeper Lord Bard 6 Eladrin. Zar Wild Magic Barbarian 6 Brass Dragonborn. Chaos Paladin 6, Silk Arcane trickster 6 Half-elf.

Quest Lines Taken

Miros Xelbrin wants you travel to Amphail two days away and talk with Arleosa Starhenge owner of the Stag-Horned Flagon. Page 72.

Zi Liang wants you to deliver a package to Waterdeep about five days away. Page 112.

Naxene Drathkala wants you to talk to the dragon expert Chazluath Yarghorn in Waterdeep which five days away. Page 112.

The heroes are talking with the two hill giants Lob and Ogg. Two husbands who just want to keep their wife Guh fed.

Chaos, “Here is food is this good enough. Create food.”

Lob, “This good snack. We take you home with us. You are Lord Lard. Lard is good food. He tasty goody. I with hug him and hug him. Why is slippery paladin glowing?” Suddenly the paladin is smote for casting spells above his level. Being confused the group decides to side with the Hill Giants and follow Lob and Ogg home.

Two days pass and they are not getting closer to the hill giants home. They do run across a battle field between a frost giant and some Uthgardt Barbarians. It takes another day for them to recognize that Lob has been following the sun.

Lob, “Beautiful wife says follow sun something something to home. Was not listening. Goblin Gut-Gut had map to home. But he volunteered to be airborne goblin.” Frustrated the group murders the giants in their sleep. Chaos gets smote again and disappears in a flash of light. The group somehow finds their way back to Goldenfields. The map to the hill giant lair along with Gut-Gut was tossed into the wood chipper and made fertilizer since they been gone.

Talking with Miros Xelbrin they decide to take Waterdeep Hwy 14 to Amphail to talk with the inn keeper Starhenge. About half a day travel to the hick town, they hear construction just off the highway. Silk sneaks up on the site. Lots of goblins, a few hobgoblins, a couple of ogres, and a fire giant are digging a pit. What they are digging his does not know. But after a half hour the rest of group appear near him.

Mr. Keeper, “That is a piece of the Vonindod Construct.”

Zar, “What.”

Mr. Keeper, “The Vonindod stood 80 feet (24 meters) tall, three times taller than any titan and was humanoid-shaped with a horned helm and a greatsword. It was almost entirely composed of adamantine with huge rubies for eyes.

Vonindod fought for most of the Thousand Year War. Though it travelled slowly and was hindered by being earthbound, it proved highly effective in raiding dragons’ lairs and slew more wyrms than even Hjurnur Wyrmrever. During the latter half of the war it was deployed to the northern cities of Ostoria.

From then on it sustained significant damage during the war, with pieces being lost during battle, becoming increasingly difficult. When the war was finally over what remained on Vonindod was at least partially dismantled and scattered throughout the North, with the pieces shared among the surviving giant cities of Ostoria. But the black shards have occasionally been stolen and relocated by treasure hunters. Nightstone probably had one. I must have it.”

Silk, “DON’T”

Mr. Keeper, “Hypnotic Pattern. Hey that generally works. Oh great rocks.” Six arrows put Naxene down. Mr. Keeper takes two rocks to his head and goes nightly night. Silk tells Zar to run but she hesitates. Silk runs. Three rounds of rocks, javelins, and arrows take her out.

Three hours pass. “Who the leader of the feast? Mr. Keeper. Mr. Keeper. Who is has the most delicious feet. Mr. Keeper. Mr. Keeper. Who has the best ribs. Mr. Keeper. Mr. Keeper!” sing the goblins as they are roasting most of the bard. Silk is able to recover the right big toe of Mr. Keeper and drag off the body of Zar.

DM Notes. You can bring your dead PC back to life for free. Or create a new fifth level pc. We will pick this up at dusk about a quarter mile away from the feast. The goblins still have five levels of exhaustion. The 7 hobgoblins, 2 ogres, and the fire giant had a short rest.

End of session 444

jasper

Rotten DM
Storm King’s Thunder Session 9

Chapter 3 Hill Giant Picnic

Day 15 to Day 22

Mirtul 15 Dusk to Mirtul 22 Non

PC Killed 2 Monsters Killed 79 Villains Captured 3 Villains Escaped 70

Start Time 6:30 End Time 8:50

Take 10 downtime days.

Reminder. You can burn 10 downtime days to level up. See page 3 of Adventure League Player’s Guide for more legal uses of downtime days.

Magic Item Potion of Poison Resistance. Roll a d6 when drinking it. Special effect on 1.

Story Award Zar Marmaduke the Cat. You pick up a ginger stray. It has adopted you. I have a card for it.

Story Award Fredrick Fire Giant Prospector. 10% Chance of any fire giant you meet is him. He thinks you are funny in the head.

Story Item Keltar Dardragon brass ring. This a brass ring with nymphs playing darts on it. It has evocation magic on it. (page 52) Speak “Keltar” to summon him. One use item.

Special Thanks to Christine for the random encounter.

I had an average group of five. Haru Hunter Ranger Wool Elf 6. Zar Wild Magic Barbarian Brass Dragonborn 6. Fat Fingers Mountain Dwarf Paladin 5. Silk Arcana Trickster 5 Hexblade Warlock 1 Half-elf. Mody Clockwork Sorcerer 3, Hexblade Warlock 2 Monodrone (custom lineage).

ROCKS FALL EVERYONE DIES. Zar wakes up from his nightmare. Why was he back? The rocked hurt his feelings but the arrows killed him. He vaguely remembers something about a mission. Haru shakes him again. Reminding him they are off to Amphail to talk to Arleosa Starhenge in the Stag-Horned Flagon (Miros Xelbrin Quest Page 52 & 72).

Arriving at the Flagon, Starhenge really doesn’t talk much about her and Miros time in the Midnight Carnival but they do know she will punch their ticket if they get rowdy. They also find out the town is ruled by three Waterdeep nobles. The Lord’s Alliance and members of the Waterdeep Guard run the cops. The next day a picnic is held to honor the last seed in ground. This is holiday all the seeding is down. Now it time for the Hoes to get work.

Chaos, “Hey, I could.”

DM, “Shut it. You didn’t make to the game last night.”

During the picnic three hill giants try to attack the picnic. But Mody and Haru are able to bluff them about another feast and their wife Guh being one valley over. Starhenge is impressed she gives them a brass ring. (Story Item). The hill giants mention their home is Grudd Haug. (Check the map.)

The group makes to Waterdeep later in the week with no problems. Well except for Fredrick Fire Giant Prospector. As the grass lands are turning into woodlands, they hear a giant cussing up a storm. It appears his sector has turn up nothing. No black stone.

Mody, “Storm Giant oh no”.

Haru, “Sounds more like a fire giant accent. You can tell by.”

Zar, “Fire Giants. Fire Giants. You don’t want to fight fire giants.”

Fat Fingers, “It what us mountain dwarves do. It is our culture.”

Zar, “I have seen Mr. Happy surfing in to collect me. Death rides a surf board. We will sneak around.”

Various plans are discussed, one is voted on and mostly followed. However, both Fat Fingers and Mody are seen sneaking through the knee high grass. Fredrick orders him minions to attack Fat Fingers. He laughs as the adventurers try to survive. He is impressed when the ones who were out of range come back into range to help their allies.

Fredrick, “You must be stupid mountain dwarf. I could kill two of you with two rocks each. And I was bored due not finding black rock of.”

Mody, “You mean black rock like the Mr. Ed statue in Amphail?”

Group, “What?”

Mody, “Yes the dm missed because of our table talk. Any way back to the game.”

Fredrick sighs, “Good info drop. You live today. This is time like cousin Shrek says. You can run away now.”

Fat Fingers, “How?”

Fredrick deeply sighs, “It is easy. You go left foot, right foot, left foot, right foot.”

Group, “Left foot, Right Foot.”

Fredrick breaks a rock over his head, “You also move feet when you say words.” Fat Fingers decides he still wants to fight the giant when Zar shoves a sock in his mouth, picks him up and moves off the field.

Arriving back Waterdeep they pay their entrance fee, and take a pause. Silk wants to touch base with his home. Haru wants to get updated on Nightstone. But they decide to follow Naxene Quest (Page 52 and 112). The North Ward is cleaner than usual. One of the masked lords stepped into dung and now the North Ward is being fined for littering. Old man Chazlauth Yarghorn is an expert on the dragon giant war. He goes on and on about with frequent interruptions from the second floor of tower due to cats being upset. One elder ginger cat takes a liking to Zar. Chazlauth suggest they talk to the crazy green dragon Old Gnawbone in the Kryptgarden. Old Gnawbone has a collection of crystal balls. She spies on everyone. The forest is about 250 miles away. It is west of Westbridge and east of Phandalin just below the Sword mountains. (DM RANT they could have gridded the map and said A3 by 33 etc.) (Page number 95 and 52)

While Zar was trying to find the forest on the map, Silk mentions travel time and hopes a better travel method exists. It does. Chazlauth remembers a friendly wizard has a teleport circle business on the side. An illegal teleportation business.

It is ran out of Moongleam Tower which is in Everlund on the banks of Rauvin River. (page 81). Which is north of the High Forest and south of Siverymoon. But one of the circles is in the City of the Dead which is local cemetery. It is in a mausoleum with the name Myrna. (page 118).

The group thanks the mage for information and walks out. A cat follows.

Dm Note Yes I am listing page numbers for quests. Please make notes or screen shots to aid me with running the book. As the quest has important information on both pages.

Story Items are items which stay with the party and can’t be owned by a person.

Story Awards can help or hurt you. You need to keep them in your notes. And tell me about them if the situation arises.

You still have Zi Lang Quest (Page 52 and 112) You need to deliver a black pearl to Caulder Marskyl who is the head butler of House Thann. The house is known for its wines.

You have the Silk and Haru story to run. Why is Silk’s sister sickly? The Lord’s Alliance may know of your murder by now.

Everyone research Waterdeep, the Masked Lord, Trollskull manor, and the Yawning Portal.

End of session 446

jasper

Rotten DM
Vonindod Construct

The Vonindod stood 80 feet (24 meters) tall, three times taller than any titan and was humanoid-shaped with a horned helm and a greatsword. It was almost entirely composed of adamantine with huge rubies for eyes.

Vonindod fought for most of the Thousand Year War. Though it travelled slowly and was hindered by being earthbound, it proved highly effective in raiding dragons' lairs and slew more wyrms than even Hjurnur Wyrmrever. During the latter half of the war it was deployed to the northern cities of Ostoria.

From then on it sustained significant damage during the war, with pieces being lost during battle, becoming increasingly difficult. When the war was finally over what remained on Vonindod was at least partially dismantled and scattered throughout the North, with the pieces shared among the surviving giant cities of Ostoria. But the black shards have occasionally been stolen and relocated by treasure hunters.

Remove ads