5E: Converting Monsters from White Dwarf Magazine for Fifth Edition

ilgatto

How inconvenient
I'm not keen on the use of "visual illusion" here, how about "The cyclops has advantage on saving throws against illusions that include visual elements."

That's based on the 5E phrasing of the mirage arcane spell.
Hmm..., wouldn't that cause problems with illusions that have multiple components? It may be a 2E thing, but there used to be distinct differences between visual, "audial", olfactory, etc., aspects of illusions.
Still, adding something like "the visual aspects of illusions" would cause the same problems.
Then again (thinking will typing), I guess it doesn't really matter because

"The cyclops has advantage on saving throws against illusions that include visual elements." is excellent.

Cleon

Legend
All OK. Blue in "Rock" coz doubtful so far for some reason?

The blue bit is because we hadn't discussed the range or damage of its Rock attack.

A regular rock (an improvised weapon) would likely do 2d4 base damage (as the Cyclops is Large) with a 20/60 range, and I've "updamaged" it to 2d6 to be a bit more giant-like.

Would consider making the range 30/120 like a javelin, considering that True Giants can chuck a Rock 60/240.

I preferred two ranged attacks though, not a single "enormous honking rock" like a Giant would make.

Cleon

Legend
Updated the Cyclops.

Are we OK with the blue drafts of Multiattack and Hypnotic Glare?

Would you like it with or without Aggressive?

Not that keen on Resist Illusion as the name for the anti-illusion trait. Just seems too bland, but Monocular seems too incomplete.

Hmm, any of these appeal: Monocular Acuity, Monocular Acumen, Illusion Resisting Vision, Eye of Illusion Resistance?

Still feels a little strange not to give it darkvision, but if both of you prefer it having to light a torch or something to get around its lair I suppose I could oblige you.

Do you like the proposed proficiencies in WIS saves and Perception?

ilgatto

How inconvenient
The blue bit is because we hadn't discussed the range or damage of its Rock attack.

A regular rock (an improvised weapon) would likely do 2d4 base damage (as the Cyclops is Large) with a 20/60 range, and I've "updamaged" it to 2d6 to be a bit more giant-like.
Although I vaguely recall mentioning something about the "xcyclops being like giants" upthread - oh, yes, that was me - I'd say the standard range and damage for a Large creature with fairly standard STR would be OK.
Would consider making the range 30/120 like a javelin, considering that True Giants can chuck a Rock 60/240.
"Giants"? Who's talking "giants" here? :)
I preferred two ranged attacks though, not a single "enormous honking rock" like a Giant would make.
Javelin? Nice and Ancient Greek-ish?

Cleon

Legend
Although I vaguely recall mentioning something about the "xcyclops being like giants" upthread - oh, yes, that was me - I'd say the standard range and damage for a Large creature with fairly standard STR would be OK.

So you'd prefer 9 (2d4 + 4) bludgeoning for the ranged attack?

That'd be fine by me if @Casimir Liber signs off on it too.

"Giants"? Who's talking "giants" here? :)

Javelin? Nice and Ancient Greek-ish?

Yes, but you and Casimir chose rocks for them.

We could give the Cyclops Chieftain javelins as well as rocks to go with its reach weapon (whatever we end up choosing for that).

Remove ads