Adventurer
Went with #D which is grammatically more correct but parses funnily in my head

Attachments

• greengremlin4.PNG.jpg
    greengremlin4.PNG.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 49

Cleon

Legend
The CR Calculator's Nimble Escape appears to be screwed up.

I'd eyeball the Green Gremlin as being Challenge 1 but it says it's CR 2.

To check, I entered the numbers for the Challenge 1/4 SRD Goblin and it said it's CR 1!

Well Challenge 1 feels OK to me so I'll leave it at that.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
(agree with CR 1) ...so beginning with what was written in Tizun Thane and working up..

-----------------------------------------------
Green gremlins are implike fey creatures that inhabit dark places such as ancient forests, caves or dungeons. They have a horrible visage with vampire-like fangs and drooling lips. Leathery-skinned, they have a wiry build with long limbs and large hands and feet, and are equally at home climbing across walls and ceilings as they are on the ground.

They collect and hoard any trinkets they can find, often in secret hidey-holes only accessible via climbing. Green gremlins are capricious and unpredictable; many are malevolent and ill-willed, though occasionally good-natured ones may be encountered. They are often solitary, though may work together in small groups for a time or associate with other creatures such as darklings or goblins.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
(agree with CR 1) ...so beginning with what was written in Tizun Thane and working up..

-----------------------------------------------
Green gremlins are implike fey creatures that inhabit dark places such as ancient forests, caves or dungeons. They have a horrible visage with vampire-like fangs and drooling lips. Leathery-skinned, they have a wiry build with long limbs and large hands and feet, and are equally at home climbing across walls and ceilings as they are on the ground.

They collect and hoard any trinkets they can find, often in secret hidey-holes only accessible via climbing. Green gremlins are capricious and unpredictable; many are malevolent and ill-willed, though occasionally good-natured ones may be encountered. They are often solitary, though may work together in small groups for a time or associate with other creatures such as darklings or goblins.

I came up with the following, but suspect it might have got a bit too wordy:

A green gremlin is a capricious fey that inhabits dark places such as ancient forests, dungeons or derelict buildings. Long-limbed and leathery, these implike creatures have horrible faces resembling drooling, vampire-fanged goblins. Their large hands and feet are clawed and sticky, allowing these wiry beings to move across walls and ceilings as easily as the ground.​
 A green gremlin's bite causes supernatural terror: they love to bite someone and chase the terrified victim. While they prefer fighting with their claws and fangs, a green gremlin can also snatch up objects and wield them as improvised weapons: hurling a rock, stabbing with a sharpened bone or broken bottle, clubbing with a candlestick, et cetera.​
 Most green gremlins are malevolent or amoral, though a few good-natured ones exist. They may be solitary, but are more usually encountered in small groups. Green gremlins sometimes associate with other creatures with similar personalities to their own, such as jackalweres or kenkus, and some powerful chaotic creatures have green gremlin minions or familiars. These mischievous tricksters are hardly reliable allies, so tend to be pets or jesters more than useful servants.​
Obsessive Hoarders. All green gremlins love to collect curios. Their hidey-holes contain a bizarre assortment of curious bric-a-brac ranging from mummified remains and pretty stones to finely crafted figurines and a collection of doorknobs. Most items treasured by a green gremlin will be junk with little or no value, but their hoard may include a few objects of actual worth. Valuable items in the lair might include a tool, key or weapon in good condition, a legible book or map, or actual treasure such as coins, jewelry and magic items.​

Last edited:

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Looks good...although should be "gremlin" and not "goblin" all the way through. Not thrilled about "supernatural" (I mean...everything is supernatural in dnd...)...maybe "psychic" or "intense"?

Fleshed out descriptions are good to give a critter some colour and flavour - useful for DMs I reckon. Maybe a note their hoard could include fey trinkets if located on the feywild?

Also, noting they could be a familiar for a warlock with Pact of the Chain and Fey Patron maybe?

Cleon

Legend
Looks good...although should be "gremlin" and not "goblin" all the way through.

Dang it, how did I do that and not even notice? Have I been watching Spider Man too often.

Anyhow, I corrected it.

Not thrilled about "supernatural" (I mean...everything is supernatural in dnd...)...maybe "psychic" or "intense"?

There's plenty of natural phenomena in D&D. Don't care for the two options you proposed but would accept "uncanny" "unnatural" or "magical" as alternatives.

Fleshed out descriptions are good to give a critter some colour and flavour - useful for DMs I reckon. Maybe a note their hoard could include fey trinkets if located on the feywild?

Wouldn't fey trinkets fall under "magic items" assuming they're actual treasure?

Besides, we don't know whether they live in the Feywild or only hang out on the Prime.

Also, noting they could be a familiar for a warlock with Pact of the Chain and Fey Patron maybe?

The Variant: Familiar entries tend to have a generic reference to "spellcasters" without mentioning specific Pacts. For example, the Pseudodragon has "Some pseudodragons are willing to serve spellcasters as a familiar. Such pseudodragons have the following trait" and the Quasit "Mortal spellcasters interested in extraplanar familiars find quasits easy to summon and eager to serve".

VARIANT: GREEN GREMLIN FAMILIAR
Some green gremlins are willing to serve spellcasters as a familiar. Such gremlins have the following trait.
Familiar. The green gremlin can enter into a contract to serve another creature as a familiar, forming a telepathic bond with its willing master. While the two are bonded, the master can sense what the green gremlin senses as long as they are within 1 mile of each other. While the green gremlin is within 10 feet of its master, the master shares the green gremlin's Spider Climb[?] trait. If its master violates the terms of the contract, the green gremlin can end its service as a familiar, ending the telepathic bond.

Thought about having the gremlin grant Nimble Escape or a limited usage Fear attack, but I guess I have Spider Man on my mind! :p

Remove ads