WIS​
CHA​
## (+–#)​
## (+–#)​
19 (+4)​
## (+–#)​
## (+–#)​
## (+–#)​

Okay, let's consider the ability scores.

Strength
Elephants are STR 22 and Mammoths are STR 24, while Vrock are STR 17.

The Fiend Factory Gurgotch only does 1d10 damage with a tusk, while a 1E/2E Elephant does 2d8 (!) and a Mammoth does 3d6 (!!) which argues that that they're either weaker or their tusks are less effective weapons.

That doesn't seem right for a Demon Elephant the same size as an actual large elephant, so I'd lean towards giving it the same Strength as an Elephant/Mammoth or averaging the two to STR 23.

Dexterity
Hmm, it's got a lot higher Armour Class than an elephant, so maybe some of that is because its way more agile than a non-demonic Pachyderm? If it had a +2 Dex bonus like a 5E Vrock instead of –1 like an Elephant, that'd account for its AC being three points higher (15 rather than 12).

So maybe DEX 14? Or DEX 12 or 13 plus skin that's a bit thicker or tougher than an Elephant? That'd be a pleasant surprise for adventurers fighting it!

Constitution
We've decided on CON 19 already.

Intelligence
The current INT 10 is fine by me.

Wisdom
The current WIS 12 is fine by me.

Charisma
Giving it CHA 12 feels a tad high. An ordinary Elephant has CHA 6 and a Vrock has CHA 8. Somewhere from 7 to 9 would suit me better.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Okay went with this:
ST23, DEX13,CHA8

Attachments

• gurgotch2.PNG
    gurgotch2.PNG
    431.3 KB · Views: 73

Cleon

Legend
O-kay....so....umm...what next :)

Well we're going through the stats in order, so it's Saving Throws followed by Resistance/Immunities.

Not sure it needs proficiency in STR and CON saves as it's already got plenty high stats in those areas. It would benefit more from proficiency in WIS and CHA to compensate for the weak ability scores. Note that Vrocks are proficient in those saves.

Vrocks are proficient in three Saves as they also have DEX. I'd be game to add a third proficiency, but maybe a different stat such as INT.

As for the Resistance/Immunities, the original White Dwarf #14 article doesn't mention it having any, apart from the 50% Magic Resistance, but I have no strong objection to giving it some or all the resistances and immunities in your current Rough Draft as they're pretty standard for a Demon of that CR.

Maybe switch them up a bit to make it slightly less conventional? Perhaps change the lightning resistance to acid or something?

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Sounds reasonable to switch to WIS and CHA. Will ditch the STR one but leave the CON one to help it resisting things (though is immune to poison anyway).

Were you still thinking of (maybe) a mini lightning attack with its tail? If so, I'd leave lightning resistance and maybe drop cold resistance and add acid resistance

Cleon

Legend
Sounds reasonable to switch to WIS and CHA. Will ditch the STR one but leave the CON one to help it resisting things (though is immune to poison anyway).

So that'd be CON +7, WIS +4, CHA +2? Works for me.

Were you still thinking of (maybe) a mini lightning attack with its tail? If so, I'd leave lightning resistance and maybe drop cold resistance and add acid resistance

It was you who proposed the lightning attack not me.

I was just thinking it'd use it like a pitchfork to stab or toss opponents:

I keep on wanting to do something with that pitchfork tail. What's the point of a tail like a trident if you can't stab things with it!
OKay - have nerfed it to something abut the same size as the elephant in 5e. Nerfed the damage and it gives us a critter of CR 7. Agree about the tail. Maybe zap of electricity? Gives it a electric bolt attack (recharge on 5-6)?

The original monster could make three Multiattacks per round: two piercing attacks with its tusks and one toss attack with its tail.

So I'm thinking if its Multiattack could choose any three attacks from a piercing Tail Trident, piercing Gore, "

I'd be fine giving the Juggernaut version a tail zap attack and maybe a cone of acid from its trunk, but that'd feel like it strays too far from the original monster.

Still, lightning resistance or immunity is a common feature of 5E demons so I guess we'd better keep it.

Plus they get cold & fire as standard.

Hmm, how about we give them resistance to acid, cold, fire, lightning? There are demons around that CR have special defenses against 4 energy types, like the CR 6 Babau.

The Damage Resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks feels more of a stretch to me.

The original monster didn't have any weapon immunities. Demons are traditionally tough against fire and the like in D&D but a fair few of the weakest or "part demon" creatures are subject to normal weapons.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
So that'd be CON +7, WIS +4, CHA +2? Works for me.

It was you who proposed the lightning attack not me.

I was just thinking it'd use it like a pitchfork to stab or toss opponents:

The original monster could make three Multiattacks per round: two piercing attacks with its tusks and one toss attack with its tail.

So I'm thinking if its Multiattack could choose any three attacks from a piercing Tail Trident, piercing Gore, "

I'd be fine giving the Juggernaut version a tail zap attack and maybe a cone of acid from its trunk, but that'd feel like it strays too far from the original monster.

Still, lightning resistance or immunity is a common feature of 5E demons so I guess we'd better keep it.

Plus they get cold & fire as standard.

Hmm, how about we give them resistance to acid, cold, fire, lightning? There are demons around that CR have special defenses against 4 energy types, like the CR 6 Babau.

The Damage Resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks feels more of a stretch to me.

The original monster didn't have any weapon immunities. Demons are traditionally tough against fire and the like in D&D but a fair few of the weakest or "part demon" creatures are subject to normal weapons.
Okay went with acid..

So with multiattack - any 3 of tail/gore/gore/stomp?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases