5E: Fifth Edition Monster Variants Inspired by Fourth Edition Sources

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Ok up now with coffee:

• teleporting over summoning yes
  • yes to bonus action Release the Hounds!
  • post MMoMV seems to be 'at will', 'x/day' - agree on limited number - include Ray of Frost (3d8 I guess) here

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Hmm, no previous lore to go on re spells. Two options:

(a) forget spells, just make a Crippling Bolt , which does necrotic damage and slows the target due to muscle damage or somesuch

(b) list 3-5 spells, maybe 2 at will, 2 3/day ones and maybe 1 x 1/day one.

at will - Ray of Frost

3/day - Hunter's Mark, Pass without trace

(hard to think...more later)

Cleon

Legend
(b) list 3-5 spells, maybe 2 at will, 2 3/day ones and maybe 1 x 1/day one.

at will - Ray of Frost

3/day - Hunter's Mark, Pass without trace

(hard to think...more later)

I like the hunter's mark.

Not sure about pass without trace, gnolls being destructive creatures that leave trails of ruin behind them, but would fancy putting longstrider (self only?) on the list to give the shaman a bit more mobility. Although we could just give it a higher base speed like a Barbarian rather than bothering with a spell.

Maybe a few utilities like detect magic and detect poison and disease to cover its shamanic duties. As it's a beast shaman one would expect some "animal spells" such as speak with animals, locate animals or plants and possibly animal messenger?

If we're going higher level utility, my favourites are scrying and/or contact other plane (I doubt a gnoll shaman would have commune with nature like a druid, but it's quite likely to contact demonic forces instead!).

For combat effective spells, I'd put dispel magic high on the list. That's always handy for a caster.

Not feeling very inspired for other combat spells, but that's probably too many already already.

Going by SRD precedents the Innate Spellcasting list should be pretty short, no more than five or six in total.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
agreed.

ok

At will - Ray of Frost, detect poison and disease, detect magic

3/day - Hunter's Mark, animal messenger or dispel magic (or both?)

1/day - scrying

Cleon

Legend
agreed.

ok

At will - Ray of Frost, detect poison and disease, detect magic

3/day - Hunter's Mark, animal messenger or dispel magic (or both?)

1/day - scrying

I'd go for dispel magic over animal messenger and prefer the more "demonic" contact other planes to scrying if we're only doing one of them.

You haven't got "each" with the 3/day spells, which I believe means it can use a combination of hunter's mark and dispel magic three times a day in total (i.e. two marks, one dispel, three dispels, three marks, but it could not use two marks and two dispels, as that's four spells).

Was that deliberate or accidental?

Or maybe just make hunter's mark another At-will. It's only a 1st level spell

I'm thinking we might as well drop detect poison and disease as I doubt it'd get much use, plus it makes room for another spell. If we're looking for a druid spell of roughly similar level I'd suggest either darkness, locate animals or plants, sleet storm or vampiric touch.

Innate Spellcasting #2. The gnoll beast shaman's spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 14; +6 to hit with spell attacks). The shaman can innately cast the following spells, requiring only verbal components:
  • At will: detect magic, ray of frost (3d8 damage)
  • 5/day: dispel magic, hunter's mark
  • 1/day: contact other plane
Innate Spellcasting #3. The gnoll beast shaman's…
  • At will: detect magic, hunter's mark, ray of frost (3d8 damage)
  • 3/day: dispel magic
Innate Spellcasting #4. The gnoll beast shaman's…
  • At will: detect magic, hunter's mark, ray of frost (3d8 damage)
  • 3/day each: dispel magic plus one of darkness/locate animals or plants/sleet storm/vampiric touch
Do any of those appeal?

Cleon

Legend
Oh, and I suggested speak with animals (hyenas only) and longstrider, but then proposed making them Special Traits, such as:

Fast Movement. The gnoll beast shaman's speed increases by 10 feet while it isn't wearing heavy armor (included in its speed).

Speak With Hyenas. The gnoll beast shaman can communicate simple concepts to hyenas (both living and undead) when it speaks in Gnoll.

Speaking of, well, speaking. I think the Shaman should have Abyssal in its Languages as well as Gnoll, since the 4E Monster Manual 3 version could speak that tongue.

Cleon

Legend
Went with #4 with locate animals or plants. Agree on above x 3.

Hold on a second, I've just realized that hunter's mark will throw off its Challenge Rating as it adds 1d6 damage to all three of its Multiattacks, increasing its damage for those rounds by 10.5.

We ought to swap it for something else. Any ideas?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases