• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5E Forgotten Realms: what will it look like?

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
It's All About The Maps

Whatever WotC decides to do with the timeline it's imperative that this time the map does not suck.

The map for the 4E version of the Realms is possibly the worst world map for any RPG product of the past 20+ years. It verges on being useless in play as it lacks detail and what detail it has often does not match the text (eg the location of Candlekeep).

Personally, I hope for two different FR timelines; pre- and post-Spellplague. I've liked all the incarnations of the Realms since the Old Grey Box and am currently running games in the post-Spellplague Realms and enjoying it.

Frankly, I like the reboot caused by the Spellplague. It provides lots of adventure hooks: Epic campaigns to restore Mystra, replace Lolth with Eilistraee, freeing Cyric from his prison etc.... Even the destruction of Mulhorand provides a great excuse for adventures set in lost pyramids.

ferratus

Adventurer
They are not fresh - the 4E FR books are four years old at this point. However, the older FR fans remember them and so are skeptical that 5E FR will be better, it is likely to be as bad if not worse.

Well, the 5th Age boxed set for Dragonlance came out in 1996. It is now 2012.

The community is still divided between those that like original setting, those that like the 5th Age, and those who like the post-5A compromise.

Trust me, the wounds are still fresh. There is a bright side though. I haven't seen any Dragonlance fans with ill feelings towards Taladas (1991) in a few years.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
But that itself would be a retcon, because in 2e it was established that time travel in the forgotten realms is very strictly limited and controlled. In fact there is only a single spell that can do it, and any other types of time traveling magic from other worlds either simply dont work, or have their limits in addition to the limits of the one time traveling spell that does work.

It's in one of the Arcane Age books. Cormanthyr Empire of Elves, I believe. Right near the beginning.

Actually, Sylrae, I believe you're referring to Arcane Age: Empire of Netheril, which did have a specialized spell (the name escapes me at the moment) for travelling through time to Netheril specifically, noting that other attempts to time travel to Netheril would always be made to fail by sending them back too far or not far enough.

Beyond that, however, time travel was (compared to the restrictions on traveling through time to Netheril) fairly lax in the setting. This got some coverage in some of the 3E web articles on time travel in the Realms, most specifically Perilous Gateways: The Portal Through Time Part 2 and Part 3 (the other parts of the series can be found on the menu on the left of those pages), and the web reprinting/revision of the Chronomancer appendix Chronomancy and the Multiverse.

Last edited:

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
I hope they maintain the timeline and diminish—but not erase—the presence of the Spellplague.

In fact, I’d like it if they produced a product that shows how empires have risen and fallen over the millennia with much calamity and destruction. Something that shows how the Realms changes over time and details the cool eras (Arcane Age, post-Spellplague, etc…) you can set a campaign in.

Don’t give us a product that wastes space like the 4E Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide did, with its blank pages and too-large font.

Do not give us another crappy map like the one in the 4E FRCG. Get the guy that does the incredible maps for Backdrop articles about the Realms to do the new 5E map(s).

Keep Returned Abeir and please include later sourcebooks in the production schedule that talk about the other continents of Faerûn.

Speaking of other continents: I find it highly doubtful Zakhara and Kara-Tur avoided any of the unpleasantness of the Spellplague. The lack of information on these locations doesn’t suddenly reduce the Spellplague to something that only happened over Faerûn proper. We shouldn’t forget what happened to Maztica and the swapping of bits and pieces that went on between two whole planets.

This reminds me of how bummed I came to be at the fate of Taladas on Krynn. It seemed like it was all Ansalon’s fault, you know?

Sylrae

First Post
Actually, Sylrae, I believe you're referring to Arcane Age: Empire of Netheril, which did have a specialized spell (the name escapes me at the moment) for travelling through time to Netheril specifically, noting that other attempts to time travel to Netheril would always be made to fail by sending them back too far or not far enough.

Beyond that, however, time travel was (compared to the restrictions on traveling through time to Netheril) fairly lax in the setting. This got some coverage in some of the 3E web articles on time travel in the Realms, most specifically Perilous Gateways: The Portal Through Time Part 2 and Part 3 (the other parts of the series can be found on the menu on the left of those pages), and the web reprinting/revision of the Chronomancer appendix Chronomancy and the Multiverse.

Hmm. Looking it up; the spell is Time Conduit (Page 3 Cormanthyr Empire of Elves). When Mystryl was around (pre-fall of netheril), it was the only means of time travel, and all other methods become that if youre doing anything with that time period.

The 4 Time Gates use that spell.

After mystra comes along though, it doesnt say what happens, so maybe it opens up a bit, though I don't remember that being a thing. But it would appear it is. So it's not just Netheril, its any time period before Netheril Fell.

[Edit]Nevermind, Looks like I was right afterall.

"After the Year of Sundered Webs (-339 DR), Mystra simply maintained the old restrictions on time travel inherent in the time conduits and focused more on magic. Therefore, while the goddess is different, Mystryl's rules and restrictions on time travel remain enforced even 17 centuries after her destruction."

Same book, page 7.

So: Mystryl limited all time travel to follow all of the restrictions of her *ONE* spell, -Time Conduit-. And created 4 mythical Time-Gates that use it.

When Mystryl Died, Mystra took over, and simply continued to limit time travel as it had been limited before her.

Pre-Death of Mystra in 1385DR and the sundering of the weave, all time travel methods are also subject to the limits of the 9th level spell Time Conduit, as detailed in Cormanthyr, Empire of Elves.

I would really love for them to collect and compile the setting lore, and not release retcons and contradictions all over the place. I hate contradictions and retcons. The more of them you have in your new books, the less I will like them - and I will ignore all of the contradictions and retcons in favor of the earlier printed material. Some stuff you can get away with, but not direct contradictions. Drives me crazy.

[Edit 2] Actually, at this point?
Dont write more crap. Distill the stuff thats been written. Compile useful books from all your previously published materials. Have people comb through all the FR Sourcebooks and Novels. Include all the major setting events that happened in the novels in the timelines. Include the events of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Neverwinter Nights, since they've been hinted at in several other sources as being canonical. Collect the bits of lore you have scattered over dozens of sourcebooks. Where you contradicted yourself, don't choose one of them, present both options, and point out the contradiction so the GM can choose which version he wants to use.

Give me a Forgotten Realms Setting Cyclopedia. Perhaps complete with one-time purchasable Encarta-Like software with more purchaseable expansion packs.

Ideally keep the ages in separate books, and set them up with at least the option to ignore retcons and contradictions (put them in sidebars to mark them as optional if you feel the need to include them).

Arcane Age
Pre-Time of Troubles
Pre-Sundering
Post Sundering/Post Spellplague.

If you'd like to make this (pretty damn massive) task easier, get help from the Candlekeep forumgoers, of which many know more about the setting than the vast majority of your authors do.

Last edited:

Sylrae

First Post
Hmm.

Perhaps. I guess my error was in thinking that when I see contradictions it's an error because the author didn't realize he was contradicting it.

I suppose its possible the contradictions are intentional, but then I have to conclude that the person who made the decision to do so doesn't care that theyre breaking continuity, and thats even worse.

That may be the author, or someone above dictating it to the author.

Its the sort of thing I've grown to accept as "the terrible writing habits of comic book authors." and something I have little use for in a campaign setting. Each contradiction makes the book be of less and less use to me.

I've read a bunch of the 4e realms campaign setting stuff, and I simply couldnt use any of it. The last FR gaming book I bought (in terms of when it was published, not when I brought it home) was grand history of the realms.

As for the 4e era novels, I haven't read those. Last FR timedate on a novel I read was 1385 DR. Though they would have to be pretty damn good for me to look past the stuff I couldn't stomach in the FR redesign/retcons and enjoy it. Particularly where the terms themselves are contradictions that drive me up the wall. Eladrin: That was already a thing. They were a whole group of CG Outsiders. Every instance of the word would make me cringe.

I'm a gamer who doesnt take well to retconning his gaming. If I cant easily ignore the retcon and pretend it never happened, it may not matter how good the writing is, I will have a very hard time getting enjoyment out of it.
You can write new stuff and change future events, but the second youre changing the stuff that already happened is when you start to lose me.

And if I can accept/ignore your retcon? I dont really care about the immersion or the continuity of the setting. This means I'm unlikely to dump more than $40 on the line, because I don't care and I'm not that interested.

Last edited:

Sylrae

First Post
You'll find much of the work you suggest has already been done in Grand History of the Realms.
I have it. I found the pre-publication fanpdf better than the WotC produced one, and it was still lacking as an encyclopedia. Afterall, its mostly timeline.

Janaxstrus

First Post
Retcon the heck out of it.

Remove, erase and mind wipe all spell plague, "elves are really eladrin" and dragonborn related events from FR.
Offer to buy back all novels from that time, and have them burned.

Then go back to the 3rd edition version and continue on like it never happened. :D

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Obviously the absolutely best thing that they could do would be to have one empire stretching the entire length and width of Faerun, ruled by Elminstra, the new God of Magic, Pipe-Smoking and Crotchedyness.

He'll be a cruel, despotic tyrant--the ultimate BBEG. Whiny adventurers have bothered him for centuries, and now it's time for his revenge!

tarionzcousin-albums-numero-drei-picture1893-elminster-5e.jpg

Last edited:

Remove ads