Unearthed Arcana 5E Psionics Alert! The Mystic Is Back In Unearthed Arcana

It's back! The long-awaited new version of the mystic - 5th Edition's psionic class - is here. "The mystic class, a master of psionics, has arrived in its entirety for you to try in your D&D games. Thanks to your playtest feedback on the class’s previous two versions, the class now goes to level 20, has six subclasses, and can choose from many new psionic disciplines and talents. Explore the material here—there’s a lot of it—and let us know what you think in the survey we release in the next installment of Unearthed Arcana." Click the image below for the full 28-page PDF!

It's back! The long-awaited new version of the mystic - 5th Edition's psionic class - is here. "The mystic class, a master of psionics, has arrived in its entirety for you to try in your D&D games. Thanks to your playtest feedback on the class’s previous two versions, the class now goes to level 20, has six subclasses, and can choose from many new psionic disciplines and talents. Explore the material here—there’s a lot of it—and let us know what you think in the survey we release in the next installment of Unearthed Arcana." Click the image below for the full 28-page PDF!

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 23.05.19.png
SaveSave
SaveSave

zaratan

First Post
Am I reading the soul knife 6th level ability wrong, or does soul knife + bag of rats = infinite psi points?
Was my first tought reading. Start piss your the ants in your bag, get bites and than squish those evil ants for 40 new psi points.

Mastery of fire psi focus is just too good with green flame blade, schorching ray and others.

Blade meld can really let a wild shape druid use weapon? Lol

Didn't like the nerf in lethal weapon, immortals. Now cost bonus action (which they have 340985 uses, and can't recovery life using that) and you can't use after see a crit. Don't see many use for weapon when your lvl increase as the damage with talents, unless you really burn many psi point to add effects.

I really like way more things than dislike, would be glad if they correct really few things to final version. Finally let we think about more than one concentration is a great thing.

Great potential to my grappler build.
No verbal and many options to my "stay always hidden" build. In fact given the variety, there is potential to many multiclasses.

Last edited by a moderator:

raleel

Explorer
I will note that if you take
(choose from: order of avatar, order of the immortal, order of the nomad, order of the soul knife)
+ ( choose from: mantle of command, mantle of courage, adaptive body, bestial form, brute force, celerity, giant growth, intellect fortress, iron durability, nomadic arrow, nomadic chameleon, nomadic mind, precognition, psychic restoration, psionic weapon, third eye)
+ (choose from: beacon, blade meld, delusion, light step, mind meld, mystic hand)

you can pretty must completely ignore intelligence, as you aren't making any intelligence to hit rolls or intelligence based saved DCs. Immortals would lose a bit on the temp hp, but you are likely going to be tough enough to ignore that too much anyways.

plenty of options to make a low-int mystic. That should open up the race options a lot.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I'm going to break this up over two days, cause 28 pages is a lot.

Quirks

Some of these are going to be more annoying than others. But only a few of them have the potential to cause conflicts. That could be a good or a bad thing.

Class Features

HD: 1d8
So now, instead of being not-wizards, they are not-clerics. Or maybe not-warlocks is a more adapt description now.

Proficiencies:
The bottom of the barrel. Except for possibly the light armor.

Saves
Int/wiz
As expected.

Skills:
Perception is a bit out of left field, considering it's highly useful in a class full of marginal proficiencies.

Psionics:
I predict sorcerer fans are going to have a headache.

Psionic Talents:
The cantrip equivalent! More on these later.

Psionic Disciplines:
More than just a spell equivalent, they are a way of life for the Mystic. They are broken into groups for each Mystic Order. However, anyone can learn anything they want, making them more like a wizards school than a clerics domain.

Psi Points:
Some levels you get a small boost to points, while others get huge jumps. The Progression here is really borked. It seems as if they designed it with the intent to discourage the two-level dip. But there are obvious cut off points and huge span of levels where you don't really get better at manifesting stuff.

Psi Limit:
The cap to how many psi points you can spend on a discipline. You cap out at level 9. Putting a dampener on how much damage you can pump out at higher levels, though are are alternative ways to get more.

Psychic Focus:
This is an “I expend 0 points but still get a benefit” option for psionic disciplines. Note that it is not concentration, a will still let you concentrate on any other spell or discipline while maintaining a focus.

Mystical Recovery:

Every time you spend points on a discipline, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to the number of psi points you just spent.

This is going to be mostly useless unless you hit a sweet spot. Bonus actions are a premium, and Mystics have lots of abilities that trigger as a bonus action (including many disciplines). Additionally, they have a cap of 7 points max to work with. Making the healing they get out of this trivial at most levels. Considering they get a lot of different features, I have to wonder if this couldn't be reworked into just be a normal psi-points for hit-points exchange, allowing for better scaling and action economy use. I mean, it is technically free healing, but the conditions for triggering it are going to cause some silly gameplay, like randomly attacking objects in order to get hps back in a pinch.

Telepathy:
Effectively, you can speak any language, and hold a conversation with anyone within 120' of you without anyone else knowing. Useful, and flavorful.

Ability Score Improvement:

You get 5 of them. At standard levels.

Strength of Mind:
You can change your Wis saving throw into any other saving throw every rest. Really good if you know you are going to fight something with poison.

Potent Psionics:
A bit of damage scaling for your weapon attacks, that comes out of nowhere for the mystics that don't use weapon attacks. However, it does stack with some disciplines to the benefit of those Mystics who do.

Consumptive Power:
Once per long rest you can reduce your max and current hp by up to 7 for the purposes of paying psi points to manifest a discipline. It's a bit overly restrictive and has a bit too much math for an ability of this sort. It should just cost a HD to pay for a manifestation, even if you keep it limited to once a long rest.

Psionic Mastery
This one gives me a headache.
First and foremost: It's a way to bypass the concentration limit. And not just “you get an extra concentration slot, but as many powers as you pay for. That's bad, in any way, shape, or form. A zero tolerance non-starter if you will.
Secondly, it gives you a bunch of extra “special psi points“ that can only be used on select discipline powers, just actions and bonus actions. Requiring way more math and exceptions than it has a right to.
Thirdly, it takes an action to set up, meaning you are spending multiple turns setting up this muti-buff chain. Which is boring. Yes, technically you could use this to get one or two extra blasts per day, but that's just an artifact of the design, rather than the primary intent.

My verdict is just delete this ability, pretend it didn't happen, and try an entirely new direction.

Psionic Body:
This is a really intense capstone.
You get resistance to the physical damage types
Immunity to disease, poison, and age.
And a 50% chance to not die whenever you die. But it's a d20 roll, so it could be used with Portent, or Lucky. And perhaps some other modifiers I can't remember at the moment.

That's a lot of good stuff, but it is a capstone, and most people aren't going to see it in play. Is it better than what other classes can get a level 1 or 2? Yes, depending on what you want, but don't count on ever being able to see it.

Mystic Orders

Order of the Avata
r
No, not the Nickelodeon cartoon. These are, well Warlords.

Bonus Disciplines:
They will be covered later, but 2 extra powers at level 1 is nice, even if they are from a restricted list. Of note, this means that you will eventually have to pick powers that are not part of your Order, which is a nice bit of design and customization options.

Armor Training
Medium armor and shields.

+2 bonus on group initiative rolls, snazzy. But a bit boring for a passive. Also doesn't scale with INT, like it should.

add your int mod to your healing disciplines, and the disciplines of any other mystic you happen to be with. Maybe it should just be all forms of healing instead, to make it stack with different groups better.

Your group can use dash as a bonus action.
A bit of a dubious benefit at this level, but at least you can lead a tactical retreat or charge if nothing else.

Order of the Awakened
They want to turn into ideas. There is a semi-political star wars joke here, but I got other things to do.

Bonus Disciplines

The same but different. It's a theme, but a customization one, so it's ok.

Awakened Talent

Two bonus skills, of the kind that relate to interacting with other beings. Also a second chance to pick up perception for reasons.

Psionic Investigation

You are Big Brother, anything can be a spy drone for you. Some DM's will have problems with this, others will note it's relatively easy to foil with standard cloak-and-dagger procedures, and use it as an additional avenue for drip-feeding plot points.

Psionic Surge
When you really need it, you can expend your focus (and lose the ability to get a new one till you rest) in order to impose disadvantage on a saving throw. It could be handy, but it is a tad bit complicated.

Spectral Form
Once per day you become like a ghost. Resistance to damage, pass through objects and people, but you move at half speed and cant fly. However you can still use your focus and concentration, so there are a few other options you can use to augment this.

Order of the Immortal
This time they aren't actually Immortal!

Bonus Disciplines.

Good, again.

Immortal Durability
An additional hit point per level, ok.
Also you get a weaker variant of the barbarians unarmored defense feature. Which makes this Order way to MAD. Seriously, give them a passive boost or let their INT mod handle the heavy lifting here.

Psionic Resilience

You get up to 5 temp HP per turn, based on int mod. It's a poor substitute for damage resistance, but it's free

Surge of Health

A secondary theme of burning the focus: This time you get to half the damage that an attack deals against you. Mind you, this is explicitly not resistance, allowing them to stack. However, unless you are going to die, it's still a bum deal.

Immortal Will
If you are at 0 hps, you can spend 5 psi-points to heal yourself at the end of your turn. This can save you from having to make multiple death saving throws. However, it should be clarified that this is meant to happen while you are unconscious, so people can actually use the ability.

Order of the Nomad
I had to look up what a noosphere was. I'm still not sure.

Bonus Disciplines

Do I have to tell you at this point?

Breadth of Knowledge
Two floating skill or tool proficiencies. Handy!

Memory of One Thousand Steps
A bit of bookkeeping, but you get a limited teleport and negate an attack as a reaction once per rest. Very good.

Superior Teleportation
You can teleport farther when you use your Disciplines. Which is basically one Discipline, but there are a few options there.

Effortless Journey
At-will teleportation, but no more than 30 ft. A bit later than other such options, but it isn't as restricted.

Order of the Soul Knife
A deviation from the mold.

Martial Training

Instead of more disciplines, you get access to better weapons and medium armor. Not really all that worth it, considering you will be using one type of weapon primarily, and that weapon has finesse.

Soul Knife
The weapon in question. It lets you summon two 1d8 light finesse martial weapons, which are like the best one-handed weapons possible. Also you can parry as a bonus action for +2 AC until the start of your next turn.
Here are the problems with it:
They are Wolverine's claws, not Psylocks blades. You can't hold anything in your hands while you use them, they physically protrude from your fists, meaning you can't drop or throw them. In order to dismiss or summon them you need a bonus action. Also they are psychic damage, which is both good and bad. Let them be knives, not claws, so people can throw or drop them. Also let them be dismissed with a free action, or summoned as part of an attack action. They are already locked into an exclusive weapon, no need to make that weapon be bad to use.

Hone the Blade
At first this looks like the standard magic weapon power, but it goes up to +4, that's a bit crazy. Nothing goes that high, unless you are stacking magic bows and magic arrows, which is something I don't allow to begin with. Also doesn't require focus or concentration.

Consumptive Knife
2 additional psi points when you kill something with your knife. I don't even know what this will look like in play, I have no basis for comparison. Like some kind of perpetual killing machine I would imagine.

Phantom Knife
Make an attack against a target, their ac is 10. This is an at will ability. This does stack with a few disciplines, for gobs of highly reliable damage on demand. Fortunately, this is a Soul Knife, and they don't have many disciplines to start with.

Order of the Wu Jen

The witch-mystic.

Bonus Disciplines

Wu Jen get some of the most complex disciplines, so this is perhaps more potent for them than most.

Hermit’s Study
Bonus skills, this time lore stuff, but also perception is in there, again, for no real reason.

Elemental Attunement
Sorcerers eat your heart out. HOWEVER, it still counts against your point spending cap, meaning you aren't getting the max level discipline manifestation.

Arcane Dabbler
You learn three spells, of levels 1-3. You can spend points to make spell slots in order to cast these spells. There are probably ways to abuse this, considering that spells and discipline bonuses stack.

Elemental Mastery

2 psi points to gain immunity to a damage type as a reaction to being hit by it, but only if you have resistance first. A bit restricted, but perhaps for the best.

Chaosmancer

Legend
The biggest thing is that there is just sooo much stuff to go through and think about. This is a lot of content and I can't imagine we aren't going to miss a lot of the potential nuance here.

A few things that struck me:

Is it weird how hardy these mystics can be? At level 2 with Mystical Recovery you can use a bonus action whenever you use any discipline to gain back hp, sure you won't be able to do it every time, but recovering between 1 and 71 hp per day seems like it could be really good. Psionic body means you could be incredibly hard to kill, and then we get to things like the immortal giving you a free 3-5 temp hp per round.

How do all these abilities stack? If I'm using a Mystic Focus, can I still use the other abilities on a discipline? If I use one section of a discipline can I spend more points to activate other abilities as long as I stay under the limit? For example. lets say I have Brute Force and Bestial Form. I spend 3 points on Claws which deal 3d10 damage on a hit, and then 4 points on the Knock Back. Legal? What about 4 points on Knock Back and 3 points on Brute Strike?

If those are legal moves, then this becomes a class with some incredibly high potential complexity. Because every ability has multiple different aspects, and they would then be able to be mix and matched however the player wanted.

You only get 4 talents, and you can't switch them out. So some of them like blade meld seem to be incredibly weak options you would never take, while others might be too good, Mind Thrust is an incredibly powerful source of at-will damage I think. Int Save firebolt essentially. And they get to add mod to the damage at level 8.

I am torn about the number of points they get. It seems like a lot, and that's before adding Consumptive Power (super cool but will anyone use it?) and Psionic Mastery (needs clarified as it is super confusing as written) but at the same time I could see someone burning through almost 20 points a round if they use Action, Bonus Action and Reaction to max effect. Some of them take no action too.

Immortals seem MAD (Dex, Con, Int at best)
Avatar of Healing does seem bad if their isn't much healing to go around

Mystics in general are going to have a lot of skills, a lot of tools, and a lot of advantage in using those skills and tools, about half of the orders give out skills and a lot of the Focuses are advantage on one thing or another.

I like some of the abilities that say "You can't use this ability if you can't use your focus" as a balance.

Are there a lot of teleportation abilities for the Nomad?

That is another thing, there are a lot of these Orders which give bonuses for having specific types of Disciplines, but the Disciplines are so varied and I only end up seeing one teleportation Discipline or one Healing Discipline so that it seems odd, you could potentially end up not having uses for your abilities because of the types of disciplines you chose. If that rambling sentence made any sense.

Nomadic Step, the teleporting one. Your focus says increase your speed by 10 after teleporting. Most of the teleporting abilities say your speed is reduced to 0 after using them. Is it 0 or 10? By the flavor of being shot out of your portal, I think it should be 10, but I'm not entirely sure what the intent is here.

Also, not sure if I mentioned this. I think the Mystic ends up incredibly powerful. A well-built and well-played mystic is going to be one of the most powerful classes at the table, and they can cover so many different concepts you can have 8 mystics at the table and each of them will play vastly differently than the others, at least by my reading of all this.

Are they too powerful? I'm not sure. They are incredibly flexible, but I don't know how much of that translates at the table. They are limited in the number of disciplines they get after all.

Overall, I think I like them, but wow is this overwhelming to try and work thru.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Nice, and 28 pages of free! I've been DM'ing one of my players playing a mystic, so far it's well balanced to other classes and has not broken my game.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Psionics getting it's third treatment, still under the single-class rubric of the Mystic. Encouraging stuff. Psionics has been all over the map through the editions, from random superpower for no reason, to single overpowered class, to bunches of weird classes, to Monks (for those of you who skipped 4e PH3: yes, really & no, IDK why).

I'm really digging the Order of the Avatar! I love the Ardent feel to it, and their choices of Mantle abilities are interesting.
I never cared for psionics (actively disliked it for a long time as an inapropriate 'sci-fi' bit), but the Ardent actually kinda changed my mind. Even played one for a bit. Well, an MC'd one.
Though, the Mantle of Command seems a bit OP to me...it specifically says "can use their reaction to make an attack action." I'll have to think about it...
The really butch attack actions, like Extra Attack, generally say "on your turn." So unless the Mantle were to go on to say "as if it were their turn," not so bad as all that.

I've only joined on in 5th edition so I'm no expert, but I think there's a warlord in these 28 pages.
It's an Ardent - 3.5 & 4e Psionics class. In 4e it was a 'leader,' so the resemblance is canny.
it should also abate the peeps who are all like "You can't do that much stuff without magic."
Psionics are still supernatural powers. Depending how a DM rules, you might be able to cheese your way through anti-magic, but as a concept, it's not meaningfully different from 'because magic.'
-Mantle of Command, is quite a lot of what the Warlord did. I think it was designed just to piss off Warlord fans...
If you start thinking that way, everything starting with HotFL has been just to piss off Warlord fans. Just like everything from the announcement of 4e on has been just calculated to drive 3.5 fans to PF.

Wu Jen is psionic now...no...I prefer it to be the Eastern Wizard
Would Rather have a Psionic monk Order
I wonder if someone wasn't flashing back to the oddity of the 4e Psionic Monk when they thought, 'hey Psionic Wu Jen? Why not, absolutely no one's clamouring for on ENWorld.'

xynthoros

First Post
I was more referring to Martial healing and action granting, a lot of argument against the warlord that I have seen is that you can't do what a warlord does without magic, this particular version of the warlord definitely uses a form of magic so it should abate that particular argument, though it might disappoint the people who want an entirely non-magical Warlord.

I do like the general tone.
I pick some things I do not like too much:
- psionic recovery needs a limit
- nothing prevents you from cherrypicking from all disciplines. Only the 2 bonus disciplines have to be from your speciality and the can be replaced on level up. I rather had a few general disciplines and some exclusive.
- the level 11 ability is strange. Do you use that ability and immediateley spend all points at once on as many disciplines as you like? Can you ignore the psi limit?

Overall I do like the tone of the class and it seems interesting. I love to see the wu-yen here.

Remove ads

Remove ads