D&D 5E 5e Sorcerer versus Wizard, which is better?

5ekyu

Hero
The DM running our game is letting everyone remake their characters when we get to 10th level, which should be in the next month.

Currently, I am running Warlock 2/Sorcerer 6. I don't know how long this campaign will go, but I love playing higher-level spell casters to play with the higher level spells, so I am going to for sure drop the Warlock levels and either go 10 Sorcerer or 10 Wizard. Sure, I can do more damage overall with the 2 Warlock, but I want access to the higher level spells as soon as possible and I've had my fun abusing the 2 Warlock.

So, in your opinion, which is better for higher-level play, Wizard or Sorcerer?

If you want to get into sub-classes, that is fine.

Sorcerer gets the metamagic feats that 5e stole from the Wizard, so they have that going for them.

Wizard, basically is a sorcerer without metamagic feats, but the ability to have access to a wider variety of spells not only usable at any one time, but just access to a wider list of spells in general.

Sure, you can then get into sub-classes, which should be taken into consideration of course, but what are everyone's thoughts on which is better and why just a straight up cast or multiclass that won't impact when you get higher level spells.

FYI, as far as sub-classes, I am thinking Lore master or School of Divination for WIzard, and Draconic or Shadow for Sorcerer, but I do love fun builds, so make suggestions please. The goal for me is having fun with higher-level spells.
In general, I have been happier with my wizards than sorcerers. Sorcerers keep fighting against their spells known wall and little way to overcome it. (Multiclass is one but it is iffy more do at high levels)

Wizards dont have hurdles they cannot get around, just choices as to which to emphasize.

That said, if your goal is just damage dealer caster, likely sorc is the better blaster.

Not gonna dive into the weeds of sub-classes and mc dips.

Wizards over Sorcerers for supreme spell selection and tons of ritual spells.
Unless you go Divine Soul, which opens up a giant can of Swiss Army Knife.

Zardnaar

Legend
If you're good at powergaming sorcerer.

Wizards are more versatile. Sorcerers are tougher and it can vary by subclass.

Sorcerers also good at social pillar, buffing, and maintaining concentration. They have better saves as well.

5E has a handful of OP spells so if you can pick them it's all good.

Wizards also better at exploration pillar,sorcerers social.

Twinned and quickened are very good.

G

Guest 6801328

But Banishment comes with a built-in twinning effect. Cast it at a higher slot and it twins.

Twinned suggestion. (No upcast option.)

"Hey, your buddy is about to betray you and kill you. You should kill him first."

x2.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
For feats I love Spell Sniper. You get a damage-dealing cantrip and double the range of all attack-roll spells and ignore 1/2 and 3/4 cover. The Lucky feat is also a great one. If you choose the Diviner subclass, the Portent ability can be fun for you and infuriating for the DM.

One of these days, I really need to try the halfling diviner with the lucky feat.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases