• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e Warlord Demand Poll

How much demand is there for a dedicated warlord class??

• I am a player/DM of 5e and would like a dedicated warlord class

Votes: 61 26.3%
  • I am a player/DM of 4e and would like a dedicated warlord class

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I am a player/DM of 5e and am satisfied with WotC's current offerings for a warlord-esque class

Votes: 67 28.9%
  • I am a player/DM of 5e and am satisfied with the current 3rd party offerings for a warlord class

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • I am a player/DM of 5e and I don't care whether WotC designs a warlord class for 5e

Votes: 94 40.5%
  • I am a player/DM of 4e and I don't care whether WotC designs a warlord class for 5e

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Yes*.

[*I'd say, as long as the AL DM is cool with it and none of the players have any personal objections, I fail to see how anyone would stop you.]
Isn't the thing with AL that you can only play official classes though, even being restricted to options from 2 books? I don't play in AL so I may be wrong.

Eubani

Legend
Yes*.

[*I'd say, as long as the AL DM is cool with it and none of the players have any personal objections, I fail to see how anyone would stop you.]

AL has rules for what is allowed PHB + WotC books only, no UA or 3pp. My question was rhetorical. This is a large reason as to why many want their favorite non published class to appear in a WotC book.

Corwin

Explorer
I don't mean to be too on the nose, but I'm not sure if you are using the word "can" correctly... ;)

Besides, this ain't the RPGA anymore. DMs have now been explicitly given a lot more power and leeway to run as they see fit at their tables. Even still, there aren't any AL Compliance Police patrolling the tables with billy clubs.

Lanliss

Explorer
I don't mean to be too on the nose, but I'm not sure if you are using the word "can" correctly... ;)

Besides, this ain't the RPGA anymore. DMs have now been explicitly given a lot more power and leeway to run as they see fit at their tables. Even still, there aren't any AL Compliance Police patrolling the tables with billy clubs.

*yet

Remathilis

Legend
The BM's maneuvers are designed to work with a multi-attacking DPR chassis, so all but a few would be of minimal appeal to a vanilla Warlord build (having access to them certainly wouldn't hurt, though) - kinda the same way a 1st level wizard probably wouldn't want to know the same spells as a 3rd level EK. The BM's maneuvers are also all available to be chosen at 3rd, they're in essence "1st level Maneuvers."

When maneuvers should roll to a new 'level' is an interesting question. There's no precedent of 9 levels like there is with spells, though that'd make it easy to gauge if power/versatility/effectiveness is on par or not. The 4e precedent of every maneuver having the level at which you gain it doesn't seem particularly applicable, either.
I think with Tier would be reasonable. Apprentice (Student? Disciple? - it wouldn't quite sound right for the BM to be an apprentice forever) maneuvers, Heroic maneuvers, etc...
Also, could the BM or other sub-classes with CS dice be able to benefit from the expanded maneuver list? It'd seem a shame to waste 'em.

Which gets into a discussion I'm unwilling to have with you: what do these "higher level effects" look like. I could certainly see another tier or two of effects beyond the BM list, but what those effects do to warrant being "high level" is going to end a long-and-pointless debate on game balance, disassociated mechanics, "supernatural" abilities, and a slew of points that this bogs down into. Suffice to say, I would prefer the Warlord not cure diseases, raise the dead, divine a lich's true name, give the rogue 3-4 Sneak Attacks per round, or ANYTHING resembling "martial mind control" (aka Come and Get It).

YMMV.

Auras have a bad taste from the Marshal, and 'sound magical,' but aren't really that different from Commanding Presence, in that they worked with Warlord just being there, and generally had some sort of distance or other qualifier.
Passively granting advantage is kinda blah. Enabling the ally to do something cool when they have advantage, maybe? That'd be closer to the feel of Commanding Presence's benefit on an Action Point. Keying it of spending a CS die would be intuitive, but the mechanic's still too little-used for that to be practical...

Guilty; I lifted auras from the marshal since the marshal was the proto-warlord and 5e has a nice habit of trying to combine things from most iterations of a class (except when they contradict each other or would unbalance the class). I figure a mixture of "passive" powers mixed with Superiority dice to enact "flashy" effects would be a good compromise. You feel warlordy even when you opt to just make an attack action and don't have to spend CS dice every round to do it. (Compare to cantrips, if you want).

Yep. That's all these things are, really, until WotC settles the issue with something official. then the tone of Warlord threads can drop down to the level of the occasional grousing 'bout the ranger and grous'n 'bout the sorcerer thread.
Yet another reason to want something official. ;)

I still wager Warlord is so far down on their to-do list that it can invest is asbestos underwear.

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
Why would you regret offering a positive contribution?
(There are multiple-page-long arguments upthread that combined offer less than your one post.)

The plan you provide could construct my description of 'what a warlord should do' way back near the beginning of the thread.

The regret would come from the fact that I suspected an outright dismissal of the concept by certain posters here, buts its been mostly civil. (So far.).

Corwin

Explorer
My question was rhetorical.
Was it? Are you sure? Because I felt it needed an answer and so provided one. Usually rhetorical questions don't need answers.

I've been around a huge number of AL tables. I'm positive there have been plenty of groups that would have had zero issue with you playing that class. Me included.

AL has rules for what is allowed PHB + WotC books only, no UA or 3pp. My question was rhetorical. This is a large reason as to why many want their favorite non published class to appear in a WotC book.

And that's a problem at the 1,700 stores where AL is played and the maybe 20,000 people who play there. Of which (assuming equal interest in *all* classes) there might be 1,300 warlord fans.

Sorry, but "because AL" is not a valid reason to do or not do something in the books.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Isn't the thing with AL that you can only play official classes though, even being restricted to options from 2 books? I don't play in AL so I may be wrong.

I can only speak for my FLGS, but even UA stuff is allowed if the DM reviews it and is good with it. A lot depends on the DM. As mentioned, no one is breaking down the doors arresting him for it :) Heck, about a year or so ago, the owner let me run my own campaign during AL sessions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads