A Candlekeep Mystery (IC)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Ethian studies the gap in the road and ponders his companion’s ideas. He considers Croc Jon’s proposal and says. “I have a knack with ropes and knots. I can make a solid harness we can don as each one of us crosses. I should go first, to make sure the rope is properly secured on the other side. If we have enough rope, I can bring two leads and do as you proposed Ruz. Whoever crosses should be secured on this side. I’ll go, and I’ll come back to check our makeshift bridge works. I also can endow each one of you, one by one, with divine guidance as you cross. This is why I need to come back. What say you all?”

OOC: trying to use Ethian’s navigation background for the knots and athletics + guidance. Hoping the cross can be an athletics check rather than acrobatics Athletics check with guidance: 17

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
As the group begins putting together the rope and harnesses to assure a safer crossing, Hawthorne takes a bit of time following Argenti's moving of the earth to view the area that results. With his Eye for Detail he sees how the snow-covered path has found itself now and he tries his best to pick out what he suspects the safest route would be. Once everyone was ready to attempt the crossing, he points out a few things along the way for each person to watch out for to maintain their best footing.

OOC: Eye For Detail - Investigation: [19] + 7 = 26

Kaliban listens to the planning. He nods at Crock Jon's suggestion of using the rope as an anchor. With talks of Archemedes carrying the rope across Kaliban produces a much lighter silk rope.

"Here use this it is much lighter then that hemp rope. It will also give us the extra distance we need to span the crossing."

Once the ropes are joined together and secure Kaliban ties the other end around himself.

"I will go first. I am the lightest if there are problems. I can also assist others once I am across."

OOC: Acrobatics check: 1d20+5 12 to cross the gap.
Once across I will catch anyone who falls with Telekinetic Movement. This lets Kaliban move any one willing creature of Large or smaller within 30' of him up to 30'.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Using their various gifts, the group concocted a solid plan for crossing the washed-out road. Once the ropes were worked out, crossed, and tied, only Shedrick had any trouble crossing. The unfortunate lad stumbled, and yanked the guide-rope, which caused one of the pitons to eject itself, giving him more slack than intended. This, in turn, caused him to scramble his feet, which caused a part of the remaining road to collapse into the hole. If it weren't for Kaliban taking that opportunity to use his psychic powers to lift the young man to safety, he would surely have fallen.

In the end, everyone made it across unscathed, and after gathering the rope (the ejected piton was even scooped up, at the end, from where it lay down the cliffside, by Archemedes) the group continued on to their next rough campsite.

OOC: Everyone did very well (other than Shedrick). No injuries. I will return soon to move us along again.
Shedrick's Athletics:Check: 1D20+3 = [3]+3 = 6

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Later, while the agents were making camp (expecting to find the town on the following day), a dirty but friendly-looking woodsman suddenly appeared from behind a rocky ridge and called, "Ho, travellers! What brings you to this gods-forsaken place? I am Dolman. May I share your fire?"

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Crock Jon drops the firewood he's been carrying so the others can stay warm. His instinct is to interpose himself between his employers and the stranger, but it's not his place. He stands nearby, hands empty, ready to help. He looks for obvious weapons. If he sees none, that'd be suspicious for a lone traveller.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Dolmen held an axe, in an experienced but casual and non-threatening manner. He didn't seem to recognize Crock Jon, nor consider him anything other than an unarmed porter.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
As the voice echoed from around the ridge and Crock Jon dropped the firewood, Hawthorne stood up from the rock he had been sitting on in front of the blazing campfire.

"Uh... hello... uh... Mister Dolman, was it? Sorry... you have taken us all a bit by surprise I'm afraid."

He takes a few steps towards the woodsman but remains at a far enough distance from the potential swing of the axe should Dolman try and get frisky. "My name is Hawthorne Grandview, out of Baldur's Gate on the coast... and these are my associates. We were not expecting to see someone such as yourself up here in the mountains, but from the looks of you, you seem to be quite at home."

Hawthorne looks up and down at the friendly and dirty man to get a better sense of the gentleman (WIS Insight: [18] + 5 = 23) and his shrewd business sense makes him believe his instinct is probably spot on, whatever that instinct may be.

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Argenti calls up a few rocks to serve as chairs around the fire pit, then takes a moment to focus a bit of magic into herself while adjusting her cold weather gear. After all, first impressions were important.
"Oh, a flesh and blood local?" The genasi enthusiastically inquires. "And here we were told to expect ghosts! I am Argenti, pleased to meet you! We had heard this place was abandoned long ago, so we came to survey the area. Do you have any information about it you would care to spare? I'm sure we would all love to hear a story or two over some of this stew."

OOC: Re-arranging the area a bit for more comfortable seating. Then casting Guidance on herself.
Persuasion check, with Guidance: 1D20+4+1D4 = [16]+4+[1] = 21

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Ruznami Warmaker
Mountain Road
Day 23/Late Afternoon
Round 0

Ruznami blinked owlishly at the woodsman as Dolmen emerged around the ridge and asked after their fire. He looked at it, stroking his beard. Well, they did have room. And maybe they could get some local information out of him.

Ruz puffed on his pipe and pulled out a flask. “Care for a drink?” he offered. “Food should be ready soon.” He indicated whatever they had roasting on the fire.

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:

Bonus Action:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack, Absorb Elements, Shield
  • Opportunity Attack:

Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Ruznami
Initiative: +2
Perception: +0
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 26/26 HD: 4/4d6+2

Archimedes (Owl familiar)
Initiative: +1
Perception: +3 Advantage, Darkvision 120
Speed: 60 (fly); 5 (walk)
AC: 11
HP: 1

Prepared Spells
Cantrips:
Blade Ward, Booming Blade, Fire Bolt, Lightning Lure
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
2) 3/3 Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray
Rituals
(1)
Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify
Spellbook
(1)
Absorb Elements, Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil and Good, Shield
(2) Arcane Lock, Mirror Image, Scorching Ray

Leave flowers on the grave of Lukas Grosvenor’s wife Lorna.
Look for Lorna’s necklace in the hollow tree.

Hawthorne Grandview - male Human rogue inquisitive
Kaliban - male deep gnome psi-warrior

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases