A casual Pathfinder adventure? (Recruiting Closed)

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Rhun, I'd like to present you CAULDRON OF FOG-HILL, a halfling "alchemist" (Re-skinned Sorceror 3/Ranger 2) and his riding dog (a great-dane 2/dobberman 1 mix ;)).

[sblock=Intro]Adventurers and normal folk gathered around the brightly dancing flames, each seeking to outdo the other in the telling of tales of all kind, both true and imagined. A green-eyed kilted halfling, sitting in the lap of a huge white dog, tolds of barrow-wights, misty morns and endless hills, of sea-side caves and gossamer fairies, all in precise, wistful tones. When some doubted him, he grinned and demonstrated the eerily radiant fluid which could be made from the wings of the latter...[/sblock][sblock=Quick background]Born to the dog-ridding halfling clan of the eastern Fog-Hill, Cauldron, then Cade Goodleaf, was the kind of child who tears everything apart (insects included) to see how they work. As is typical, he'd also have a much harder time putting them together again afterwards (insects included). This has blossomed into a passion for exploring and, more importantly, exposing the underlying gears of creation, a passion he and his family parlayed into an apprentiship with master Tetrachlorosilicate - Theseus for short - the red-bearded human alchemist living up on well-named Blast Hill.

Cauldron is now a journeyman alchemist, seeking a long list of rare ingredients for himself and his master, gold to eventually establish his own lab (AND hire assistants to do the grudgework) and, of course, any lost knowledge of a "scientific"/alchemichal/magical nature. He also engages in "social improvements" whenever he gets the chance, but that's purely for fun. ;)[/sblock][sblock=Power explanation]I never quite managed to connect with the Alchemist as presented in the APG (shame too, as that was the main reason I bought the book), so how about this?

I'm thinking Cauldron's power are mechanicaly identical to a a classic sorceror. The only difference is in the fluff : namely the special effects of his spells are represented by the tossing of vials filled with acid/oil/sleep gas/phosphorescent liquid/exploding powder at his targets. He creates a new batch of these each day after his 8 hour rest, representing his daily supply of spells. For obvious safety reasons, he carries the prepared alchemical substances in rune-warded shatterproof metal flasks that can only be opened by himself. To "cast a spell", he opens a flask, pours/transfers the content to a glass or clay vial and then tosses it (this series of actions represents the actual casting of the spell).

Example: Sleep would be a chloroform-like gas. Light is a yellowish liquid that glows when exposed to air (ground-up fairy wings :eek:). Etc.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking his strictly "Ranger" powers (Track, Favored Ennemy bonus, Animal Empathy) come mostly from his partnership with his dog (snifing tracks, growling when goblins are near, barking to intimidate a hostile animal/guide the lost sheep, etc).

What do you think? Doable?[/sblock]

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
Rhun,
I would be interested. Seeing as you have 5 though, consider me first Alt (and Scott, I am deferring to your higher ranking for a spot).

As noted, this isn't going to be first come first serve, so if you have an idea of what you want to play...let me know.

Shayuri

First Post
Oracles make exceptionally good healers. Witches make 'okay' healers.

I can probably fulfill that role regardless of which I choose...though I'm leaning Oracle right now.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Tankity tankity tankity for me then!

Fighter 5 human, Thought Expiration

features:

human

fighter:

Shattering Strike (Ex)- +1 bonus to CMB and CMD on sunder attempts and on damage rolls made against objects.

Overhand Chop (Ex)- reduces the armor check penalty by 1 (to a minimum of 0) and increases the maximum Dexterity bonus allowed by his armor by 1

weapon training 1- +1 bonus on attack and damage (As the fighter class feature, but the bonuses only apply when wielding two-handed melee weapons.)

budget: 10,500 gp
Great Axe +1 4320 gp 12.0 lb
Chain mail +2 4250 ? gp 30 lb

feats:

Human- weapon focus
cl 1- power attack
Fgtr 1- cleave
cl 2- Improved sunder
fighter 2- Point Blank shot
cl 3- Precise shot
fgtr 4-weapon specialization
cl 5- Greater cleave
***fgtr 6- gtr sunder***

Traits

skills:

[sblock=Two-Handed Fighter]-

Some fighters focus their efforts on finding the biggest, heaviest, most imposing weapon they can find and training to manage and harness the weight of their massive weapons for maximum impact. These fighting school benefits only apply when using two-handed weapons.

Shattering Strike (Ex)

At 2nd level, a two-handed fighter gains a +1 bonus to CMB and CMD on sunder attempts and on damage rolls made against objects. These bonuses increase by +1 for every four levels beyond 2nd.

This ability replaces Bravery.

Overhand Chop (Ex)

a single attack (with the attack action or a charge) with a two-handed weapon, he adds double his Strength bonus

This ability replaces Armor Training 1.

Weapon Training (Ex)

As the fighter class feature, but the bonuses only apply when wielding two-handed melee weapons.

This ability replaces Weapon Training 1, 2, 3 and 4.
Backswing (Ex)

At 7th level, when a two-handed fighter makes a full-attack with a two-handed weapon, he adds double his Strength bonus on damage rolls for all attacks after the first.

This ability replaces Armor Training 2.
Piledriver (Ex)

At 11th level, as a standard action, a two-handed fighter can make a single melee attack with a two-handed weapon. If the attack hits, he may make a bull rush or trip combat maneuver against the target of his attack as a free action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

This ability replaces Armor Training 3.
Greater Power Attack (Ex)

At 15th level, when using Power Attack with a two-handed melee weapon, the bonus damage from Power Attack is doubled (+100%) instead of increased by half (+50%).

This ability replaces Armor Training 4.
Devastating Blow (Ex)

At 19th level, as a standard action, a two-handed fighter may make a single melee attack with a two-handed weapon at a –5 penalty. If the attack hits, it is treated as a critical threat. Special weapon abilities that activate only on a critical hit do not activate if this critical hit is confirmed.

This ability replaces Armor Mastery.

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
If Shayuri chooses the Witch, a Paladin could give some extra healing capabilities.

I like Paladins. Will most likely try out a variant from the APG (they are all on the SRD).

Remove ads