• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E A question for the 5e Experts about the Monk class

the Jester

Legend
Only if the original class is defined to be balanced. Which monk ain't.

I would have to disagree. While I don't think the four elements monk is all that great, I think the "ki points recharge on a short rest" element of its balance is almost always overlooked, and I think all the other monk paths are fantastic.

Having played a 4 Elements monk I’ll say that it isn’t the most powerful subclass but has a hell of a lot of flavour. Ki burn is an issue but all the regular monk stuff on its own made me the absolute tank.

Honestly, so long as you’re ok with a human, I’d say take magic Initiate to get Presti, shocking grasp or mould earth or shape water and burning hands as your one a day - similar flavour and all at level 1...

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
It occurs to me that the 4E monk works kind of like if the DS sorc's only ability was access to the cleric spell list. Cleric spells are good, and they let the sorc do things a different sorc can't. But if all you got was the spell list, they would just compete for slots with what a normal sorc does. I feel like the 4E disciplines are like that, they give you more options, but basically compete with the options in the base class. Whereas other subclasses give you new useful things that don't compete.

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
Does your DM allow it? That's the most important question. I don't think it would be a good idea if he does, even if it won't be overpowered. It sets a precedent to other players, who might also ask for the same thing on other class.

It occurs to me that the 4E monk works kind of like if the DS sorc's only ability was access to the cleric spell list. Cleric spells are good, and they let the sorc do things a different sorc can't. But if all you got was the spell list, they would just compete for slots with what a normal sorc does. I feel like the 4E disciplines are like that, they give you more options, but basically compete with the options in the base class. Whereas other subclasses give you new useful things that don't compete.

That more or less is the core of it. Same problem as the beastmaster has.
They would have done well to add other features too.
Just reducing ki cost does kot solce the problem. And you could easily unbalance the class. When you can throw 3 fireballs per short rest at level 11, that may overshadow the eldritch knight's ability by quite a bit. I'd rather look at the action cost. The sun sould has the exact same 2 ki point cost burning hands. But as a bonus action.
Imagine 1 ki point cost burning hands at level 3. That will allow for 9 burning hands on a standard day. That is a lot. And burning hands at that level is quite powerful.

hastur_nz

First Post
Does your DM allow it? That's the most important question. I don't think it would be a good idea if he does, even if it won't be overpowered. It sets a precedent to other players, who might also ask for the same thing on other class.

Agree 100%, as DM I wouldn't allow it, for that reason alone. If I was ever asked if someone could "mix and match", I'd still be hesitant, but I'd at least listen, although to be honest I'd rather just steer people towards using what's written, than having to deal with the balance of swapping this for that and so forth.... There's a heap of great options in the PHB, even more when you add in the other 5e books, I'd rather people spent their time using what's written and get on with playing the game, not fiddling endlessly with mix and match of tiny details like we did in the late 3.5 days... what a waste of time, the DM should be able to spend their time on stuff that actually drives a good campaign when we all get together.

Remove ads