• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Aberrant D20

Hand of Vecna

First Post
I just heard that this was due out in June (or July). Anyone know anything about it?

It's been many, many months since I've even looked at an Aberrant book, but from what I recall, even a starting level Aberrant character was a good deal more powerful than a starting Mutants & Masterminds character; most of the "named" characters were easily PL 21+ M&M characters. I loved the setting & how White Wolf showed how the world might react to the sudden apearance of Metahumans, but I don't really see how they can make it a [balanced] D20 game.

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
I ran Abberant for three years and really was not all that impressed with it. I think I will buy the d20 version out of sheer morbid curiosity rather than an intent to play it.

My biggest gripe about the system was I got the impression that they really wanted to discourage combat. Or at least due to the fact that the combat system was so klunky *I* was discouraged from any kind of combat.

bondetamp

First Post
Keeper of Secrets said:
I ran Abberant for three years and really was not all that impressed with it.

You ran a game that you were unimpressed with for rthree years???
:confused:

Man, you sure are dedicated in your testing! :)

bondetamp

First Post
Oh, and I'll always have a special place in my heart just for Adventure!. I hope the d20 version will herald some new stuff. :)

johnnype

First Post
The original Aberrant allows for a wide range of power levels. I think your perceptions might have been a bit off to think that most supers in the game would be higher than PL 20 if converted to M&M.

That said there were a handful of NPC's (Cestus Pax and Divis Mal come to mind) that were indeed much higher than PL20 in M&M terms. The average starting character though was not as powerful as you say. If I had to compare an average starting Nova to a well known comic book character I'd put him or her on the same level as, oh I don't know, most of the X-Men.

What the original Aberrant does allow is a focus of powers outside of the mainstream. That is to say powers that focus on Super-Charisma, Super-Apperance, Super-Wits, Super Manipulation and Super-Perception. All of these have very real affects in a game and can deffinitely change a game from a heavy-combat game to a non-combat game. It's really up to the GM and the players.

I love Aberrant for its "realistic" setting. I'm a little cautious about this new version with D20 rules. Wait and see I suppose.

Hand of Vecna

First Post
Well, I did say it'd been a long time since I'd read any of the Aberrant books, so my rememberings may indeed be wildly off....

Why the wariness about the new version, though? The setting should be staying exactly the same.

Last edited:

MrFilthyIke

First Post
Cergorach said:
Aberrant and Adventure just weren't my cup of tea, Aeon/Trinity was (still is), i'm looking forward to it...

Thank You, Thank You...

I loved Aeon...there was/IS no Trinity, only Aeon...at least that's what my book says. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads