• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Ability Score Balance: through the eyes of fresh players

14 is so high above the average curve, though. I'd use 12 or 13 at Max for those kind of requirements.

Requirements could be used to keep things within thematics. I'd argue for 13 and 15 to be used, like with heavy armor's Str requirements.

Off the top of my head, maybe No requirement for light weapons, Str 11 for one-handed, Str 13 to use versatile in one hand, and Str 15 to use heavy? Maybe use 4Es Dex/con weapon groups for more spice.
Remember the purpose though. If you're removing Strength and Dex from accuracy and damage then pre-reqs need to bear the weight of reinforcing class concepts. If you have Strength but not so much Dex you use a hammer or an axe. If you have Dex but not so much Strength you use a rapier or a shortsword.

Putting 14 Str 14 Dex for a Longsword is a way of saying "This fighter is a good all rounder, not especially huge and muscled and not as graceful as an acrobat - just incredibly skilled."

I think using a system like this you wouldn't need to worry about the whole light/medium/heavy distinction. What I'm brainstorming is a pretty radical reimagining.

Xeviat

Hero
Stat mods would still be used for skills and defenses. Having odd ability score requirements gives you a reason to by a 13. When there's a point buy jump between 13 and 14, and between 15 and 16, grabbing that 13 or 15 might be done if it gives you something.

Horwath

Legend
So why not give the odd scores a reason to exist by giving them whatever new or different functionalities you can?

In this case, using 11/13/15 as pre-req's is brilliant!

well, we'll agree to disagree :)

3-18 stat spread needs to be killed off ASAP.

if 10 stays average with +0 mod then 11 should be +1, 12(+2), etc...
having 1 strength with -9 mod would really describe tiny weak creatures.

having point buy spread from 9(-1) to 13(+3) would be nice.

Remember the purpose though. If you're removing Strength and Dex from accuracy and damage then pre-reqs need to bear the weight of reinforcing class concepts. If you have Strength but not so much Dex you use a hammer or an axe. If you have Dex but not so much Strength you use a rapier or a shortsword.
I think that the point that they were making is that while a stat of 14 might seem low for a player character, it is very high in terms of the general population.
It would certainly reinforce the "less than 10% of the population are able to be PC classes" distribution.

You need above average strength to use a rapier, but a longsword/two-handed sword can be used even by people less powerful than average. (Being stronger makes you better with it, but as a baseline, almost anyone can use an historical longsword with effect.)

Putting 14 Str 14 Dex for a Longsword is a way of saying "This fighter is a good all rounder, not especially huge and muscled and not as graceful as an acrobat - just incredibly skilled."
It is also saying that only a few % of people can use a longsword. - Which stretches my personal suspension of disbelief.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
well, we'll agree to disagree :)

3-18 stat spread needs to be killed off ASAP.

if 10 stays average with +0 mod then 11 should be +1, 12(+2), etc...
having 1 strength with -9 mod would really describe tiny weak creatures.
Yeah, we're getting farther apart on this with every post. :)

I'd rather see a more 0e or 1e-like system, where actual bonuses don't start until you're well clear of the average in either direction; be that at 8/13 or 7/14 or wherever.

Then, I'd like to see far more things rely on the actual stat number (e.g. revive the roll-under mechanic, for cryin' out loud!) than the bonus.

having point buy spread from 9(-1) to 13(+3) would be nice.
Your math is off.

The average on a 3-18 bell curve is 10.5, which means 10 and 11 in theory have to mirror-model as the same. This if 10 is 0, 11 must also be 0; or if 11 is +1 then 10 must be -1.

I think that the point that they were making is that while a stat of 14 might seem low for a player character, it is very high in terms of the general population.
It would certainly reinforce the "less than 10% of the population are able to be PC classes" distribution.

You need above average strength to use a rapier, but a longsword/two-handed sword can be used even by people less powerful than average. (Being stronger makes you better with it, but as a baseline, almost anyone can use an historical longsword with effect.)

It is also saying that only a few % of people can use a longsword. - Which stretches my personal suspension of disbelief.
No can be proficient. It's not the same thing. Any peasant can swing a longsword. They just don't get the bonus to hit.

And I was saying use a Longsword in one hand - not two hands. I would make it lower for two handed use (that's the benefit of it being versatile).

Not that realism is particularly the goal here.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog

I think using a system like this you wouldn't need to worry about the whole light/medium/heavy distinction. What I'm brainstorming is a pretty radical reimagining.

It shouldn't be based off weapon. It should be based on class.

Remove ads