• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Ability Score Balance: through the eyes of fresh players

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Meh, just allow every character to pick which stat they want to use for melee attacks, ranged attacks, HPs, AC, and their magic stat (if needed). They all have to be independent. Some classes have features that let you use the same stat for 2 different things.

Then the stats become randomly generated narrative descriptors that mostly impact what saves and skills you're good at. (Change quite a few spells and monster abilities to be Str, Int, Cha saves to rebalance.)

Xeviat

Hero
Meh, just allow every character to pick which stat they want to use for melee attacks, ranged attacks, HPs, AC, and their magic stat (if needed). They all have to be independent. Some classes have features that let you use the same stat for 2 different things.

Then the stats become randomly generated narrative descriptors that mostly impact what saves and skills you're good at. (Change quite a few spells and monster abilities to be Str, Int, Cha saves to rebalance.)

Actually, I keep coming back to having Attack/Damage/DCs be determined by level, not ability scores. Then, a feat or talent system could be built that used ability scores heavily as prerequisites to differentiate characters from the same class. Then you could have a smart fighter and a strong fighter, and a charming rogue or an agile rogue.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Actually, I keep coming back to having Attack/Damage/DCs be determined by level, not ability scores. Then, a feat or talent system could be built that used ability scores heavily as prerequisites to differentiate characters from the same class. Then you could have a smart fighter and a strong fighter, and a charming rogue or an agile rogue.

soa fighter that dumps str and dex fights just as well as a fighter that doesn’t?

soa fighter that dumps str and dex fights just as well as a fighter that doesn’t?
I'd be tempted to put in pre-reqs.
So say, Strength doen'st add directly to damage, but you need a certain minimum Strength to use a high damage weapon.

So the fighter needs a certain level in physical ability scores depending on fighting style, but there is generally no need to keep pushing your scores up until they hit the racial maximum.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I'd be tempted to put in pre-reqs.
So say, Strength doen'st add directly to damage, but you need a certain minimum Strength to use a high damage weapon.

So the fighter needs a certain level in physical ability scores depending on fighting style, but there is generally no need to keep pushing your scores up until they hit the racial maximum.

I like class prerequisites for stats. I’m thinking probably 14’s in your primary and secondary stats?

Xeviat

Hero
Maybe. I was thinking proficiency with a Longsword in one hand would require Str 14, Dex 14, so I guess that's a soft class prerequisite.

14 is so high above the average curve, though. I'd use 12 or 13 at Max for those kind of requirements.

Requirements could be used to keep things within thematics. I'd argue for 13 and 15 to be used, like with heavy armor's Str requirements.

Off the top of my head, maybe No requirement for light weapons, Str 11 for one-handed, Str 13 to use versatile in one hand, and Str 15 to use heavy? Maybe use 4Es Dex/con weapon groups for more spice.

Horwath

Legend
14 is so high above the average curve, though. I'd use 12 or 13 at Max for those kind of requirements.

Requirements could be used to keep things within thematics. I'd argue for 13 and 15 to be used, like with heavy armor's Str requirements.

Off the top of my head, maybe No requirement for light weapons, Str 11 for one-handed, Str 13 to use versatile in one hand, and Str 15 to use heavy? Maybe use 4Es Dex/con weapon groups for more spice.

please do not write 13 or 15.

No one takes/likes odd scores.
13/15 in 99% of cases means 14/16 :p

but yeah, class minimums could be used.

12/14 sounds good.
Some cliches are for a reason.

So fighter could have str/dex one min 14 other min 10. No weak of clumsy fighters.

Barbarian: str 14, con 12

Bard: cha 14, int 12

drd: wis 14

clr: wis 14

mnk: str or dex 14, other 10, wis 12

pal: str 14, con 12, wis 12, cha 14(old school, biggest prereq)

rng: str or dex 14 other 10, wis 12

rogue: dex 14

warlock: cha 14

sorc: cha 14

wiz: int 14

Remove ads