• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Ability Score Increases (I've changed my mind.)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Well, statistically, for you, they happen 100% of the time. Coincidence ?
And completely false. Nothing I showed you was 100% good. But yes, coincidence.

Take a player who is new to the game and has never even looked at the rules. The DM allows feat and has correctly described to this player that he will be playing a hero in a fantasy setting. The player having watched Lord of the Rings and the Avengers really wants to play a character whose goal is to be the best archer in the world(STORY reason). He doesn't care about power, he's just picking a heroic concept to match what the game is about.

When he gets to 4th level he reads through the feats and looks for ones that fit his STORY. Crossbow expert is out. Hawkeye and Legolas didn't use crossbows and neither does his character. Because 5e has a dearth of feats, only one feat fits his STORY. Sharpshooter, so he takes that for STORY reasons. According to you, the reason he took it is because power and it can't be story, except that it was and you are just assuming things based on your personal behavior and experiences and are usually wrong, because others are not you.
Yes, I admit that having been one makes me very good at detecting others.
It has actually made you very bad at it. I've watched you get it wrong time and time again. People have different experiences.
For example, people whose characters are only amongst the most powerful archetypes of the game.
I guess it didn't matter that I had no idea about the Bladesinger when I made it. I picked it for story reasons. Been wanting to play one since 2e. I quickly discovered how good it was and then in a few threads started here I concurred with others about its power, but I didn't pick it because of that. And I played it weaker than someone who is into power would play it. I was a front line fighter and almost never cast anything higher than a cantrip.

But hey. Keep on thinking everyone is you.
Easy, the example was in the answer, GWM is certainly very much about the role... Come on!
Just like I did with Sharpshooter, I can easily make that purely about the story as well.

There isn't a single feat that you can come up with that can't be picked for purely story reasons. Not one.

Lyxen

Great Old One
So let me get this straight: I posit that D&D originally was not about "roleplaying" as we mean it today, and that meaning evolved over later editions, and you refute that assertion by citing....2nd edition?

Come on. This was 1e PH and even the Basic Set.

2e was the worst edition ever, just copying and pasting, and even doing it wrong... :p

Yes. That's exactly my point. And with each subsequent edition that facet of "roleplaying" gained greater prominence.

But you cannot dey that it was there right from the very first real editions (apart from OD&D).

I just looked for that quote and couldn't find it. Do you have a page number? (I'm looking in Red Book.)

AD&D 1e PH Page 2 (introduction) and Page 7 (The Gane).

Basic Rules Page 2, section "What is roleplaying".

And, even if it's there, I don't know how you look at < 1% of these original texts and extrapolate that the major point of these games were to inhabit your unique persona.

Of course you do when it's right in the introduction and explains what the game is about ! And they explain it exactly that way !

I just skimmed through the Against the Giants modules, and other than a reference here and there to a personality trait of a boss figure ("sly and vicious") there is nothing about interacting with NPCs or really doing anything other than exploring, killing, and looting. Nor do the pregens at the end have a single bit about personality or background.

While that is true about some modules, look at the VIllage of Hommlet, which has this: "The persons that are met at the inn, along the road, and so forth, are you; for the Dungeon Master is all—monsters, NPCs, and all else but player characters. Play it to the hilt. Do it with flair and wit. Be fair both to the characters and to yourself. Be cunning but just and honest when in the role of a warding ranger. Be deceitful, clever, and thoroughly dishonest when acting the part of a thief. Think of the parts you take as those of characters you are playing, and act accordingly. But temper your actions with disinterest in the eventual outcome, and keep only the viewpoint of that particular role. Wearing two, three, or a dozen different hats is challenging, but that is part of being an outstanding DM."

True roleplaying here as an advice to the DM.

If your version of history were correct

It is, with proof from the rulebooks and some modules, I'm sure I can find more.

, then all the cultural references to D&D "back in the day" would reflect that. Instead we have phrases like "Kick down the door, kill the monsters, and take their stuff", the Munchkins game, and on and on and on. Either that's what the game was about back then, or the vast majority of people were playing the wrong way.

No, it's because that is a caricature.

I'm sorry to not accept your anecdotes as conclusive evidence, but regardless of your claims of how you played D&D back then, the game clearly was not written that way.

And then, I have given you incontrovertible evidence that, from the very first rulebooks and some of the adventures, it was intended that way by the designers.

Just like I did with Sharpshooter, I can easily make that purely about the story as well.

There isn't a single feat that you can come up with that can't be picked for purely story reasons. Not one.
Not to derail too much with a joke but:

Technically, the lack of flavour text at all for Tough and it's mechanical effect just giving you more HP does make it the most difficult to be picked purely for story reasons...

But I do agree. All can be picked for story reasons, whether they are weaker or stronger, and it is good that pretty much all feats have a strong flavour to them (leaving aside whether they have an interesting or useful effect - poor Grappler... poor, poor Grappler...)

Lyxen

Great Old One
Even the iconic Keep on the Borderlands: "All of this play, as well as what will come afterwards, requires that the players play the personae (personalities) of the characters that they will have throughout the length of the campaign, much like an actor plays a role in a play. You, however, have a far greater challenge and obligation! You not only must order and create the world, you must also play the part of each and every creature that the player characters encounter. You must be gate guard and merchant, innkeeper and orc oracle and madman as the situation dictates. The role of DM is all-powerful, but it also makes many demands. It is difficult to properly play the village idiot at one moment and the wise man the next, the noble clergyman on one hand and the vile monster on the other. In one role you must be cooperative, in the next uncaring and non-commital, then foolish, then clever, and so on. Be prepared!"

All over the place, I tell you... :p;):D

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Not to derail too much with a joke but:

Technically, the lack of flavour text at all for Tough and it's mechanical effect just giving you more HP does make it the most difficult to be picked purely for story reasons...
Most difficult, but still not that hard. The name is sufficient. If I have a character concept where my PC fighter came from the streets and had to scrap with gangs on a regular basis, tough becomes very much a story pick for him. Living a life like that makes you tough. His background brings it to the fore when feat selection time comes. I could come up with other avenues for why my character's background or gameplay experiences warrant that feat.
But I do agree. All can be picked for story reasons, whether they are weaker or stronger, and it is good that pretty much all feats have a strong flavour to them (leaving aside whether they have an interesting or useful effect - poor Grappler... poor, poor Grappler...)
LOL yeah.

Lyxen

Great Old One
And completely false. Nothing I showed you was 100% good. But yes, coincidence.

Of course.

Take a player who is new to the game and has never even looked at the rules. The DM allows feat and has correctly described to this player that he will be playing a hero in a fantasy setting. The player having watched Lord of the Rings and the Avengers really wants to play a character whose goal is to be the best archer in the world(STORY reason). He doesn't care about power, he's just picking a heroic concept to match what the game is about.

When he gets to 4th level he reads through the feats and looks for ones that fit his STORY. Crossbow expert is out. Hawkeye and Legolas didn't use crossbows and neither does his character. Because 5e has a dearth of feats, only one feat fits his STORY. Sharpshooter, so he takes that for STORY reasons. According to you, the reason he took it is because power and it can't be story, except that it was and you are just assuming things based on your personal behavior and experiences and are usually wrong, because others are not you.

And then there are many people around here who look at the most powerful build that they can find and invent some backstory for it. Not everyone has to be a powergamer, you know.

However, these people usually don't start describing their characters by their stats and apologising for high rolls especially when their choices are (by pure coincidence, I'm sure) amongst the most powerful in the game. These are not people either who argue for 100 pages about the virtue of a +1 in a stat. These are the people who don't wait for Floating ASIs to pick the combination of race and class that they like.

But then you might be the one in a thousand people, who knows...

What I'm telling you is that it is all about the mental process, that's all, and if you just want to create a cool character without knowing much about the game, you don't make complicated technical choices trying to optimise your stat using obscure options.

It has actually made you very bad at it. I've watched you get it wrong time and time again. People have different experiences.

I guess it didn't matter that I had no idea about the Bladesinger when I made it. I picked it for story reasons. Been wanting to play one since 2e. I quickly discovered how good it was and then in a few threads started here I concurred with others about its power, but I didn't pick it because of that. And I played it weaker than someone who is into power would play it. I was a front line fighter and almost never cast anything higher than a cantrip.

But hey. Keep on thinking everyone is you.

Most of them are purely technical but yes, every good powergamer knows how to spin a tale to justify it in his story.

Again, you might be the one in a thousand.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
And then, I have given you incontrovertible evidence that, from the very first rulebooks and some of the adventures, it was intended that way by the designers.

We are either operating in alternate realities, or one (or more) of us is completely crazy. Statistically there's a 50% chance that's me, so maybe it's time to disengage.

Happy gaming.

Lyxen

Great Old One
Most difficult, but still not that hard. The name is sufficient. If I have a character concept where my PC fighter came from the streets and had to scrap with gangs on a regular basis, tough becomes very much a story pick for him. Living a life like that makes you tough. His background brings it to the fore when feat selection time comes. I could come up with other avenues for why my character's background or gameplay experiences warrant that feat.

Just out of curiosity, what backgrounds did you choose for your Bladesinger and Paladin ?

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
I don't know what to say...

And I know that some people do not like or agree with that reasoning, but it's one of my reasons for limiting powergaming, because powergaming is about one's own fun with no consideration to the fun of other players. After that, there are tons of various degrees, and some people powergame and still respect the other players, but it's still a selfish consideration at start.
All funs are selfish. People take pleasure in different thing. What would be selfish would be to stomp on other peoples fun, being disrespectful, etc. But playing a certain way, whether it's being a theater kid in costume, enjoying building a really efficient character with some cool abilities, or exploring a fictional world and being focused less on your character and more on the setting, they're all valid. As a GM, you have to find a way to accommodate different types of fun. The more there is in your group, the harder it will be. But approaching the game from a power gaming is not more selfish than other ways.

No, it's not. Playing casually is just that, whereas powergaming is putting special effort into making a selfish difference in the game.
Powergaming is not more selfish than spending weeks writing a backstory and sticking out your past at every roleplaying opportunity. There's players with bad habits in all gaming styles.

And all the better for you if you can consistently play with only like-minded players. However, it's not always possible when playing with friends, even old-time ones who know each other by heart.
The exact same could be said to you in relation to how you play. All the better for you if you play with open-minded players, but if you play with strangers you might encounter people that enjoy different aspects of the game.

And don't even try to pretend that it's to explore new roles, I very much doubt that you have tried all the archetypes of all classes even in the PH.
Oh boy. Multiclassing absolutely allows to explore new role, and it allows you to do things that the, in my opinion, very limited class/subclass system of 5E doesn't allow. It's also a great way to reflect change in a character, a Fighter that takes interest in everything nature related as the campaign progresses and decides to put a few levels in Druid. I'd be much more excited by one player coming to say he'll dip in a second class than a player saying "this time around I'll play this subclass instead".

And I'm sorry, but if you allow them all, it's because you want powerful characters. Most of the feats (and in particular those used in these builds) are only there for pure technical power, they have nothing to do with the story or the roleplay.
Multiclassing can be used purely for its technical value, but it's not inherently that way. You're one of the most binary people I've seen online. It doesn't have to be one of the other. In your mind, it's impossible to conceptualize that a DM could allow these options without wanting more powerful characters. It doesn't make it reality.
And again, on this, I am speaking from experience and I suspect that you are not. I have started D&D in 1978, and we were already really roleplaying at the time, almost as we are playing today. So no, it was not grafted over the game over time, it was there right at the start. Moreover, it's been more than 40 years for me, but more importantly (and again powergamers don't like this pointed out), it is the way all recent editions and in particular 5e are described by the designers. And 5e has been in existence for about 7 years now, so no, roleplaying is the basis and the intent of the game.
Esh. Aside from the very condescending tone of your message, everything you're sharing is anecdotal. You having played this way for forty years as absolutely no impact on the conclusions of a discussion like this. You can't make any facts out of it. For people like you, there's someone that focused on getting gold, magic items, building powerful characters with little roleplaying.

So here you go, whereas rules and rolling dice are not the best thing in the game, it is a roleplaying game first and foremost, so it cannot, by definition, destroy the game like powergaming can :)p, see there is a smiley there).
This feels like when of my coworker argues me that my hershey bar is not a chocolate bar but a candy bar because it's written on the packaging for legal reasons. You've quoted like five sentences from various editions as a proof that these games were designed one way, and should be played that way.

I haven't played anything before 3rd edition. And you're right that every edition from 3rd to 5th does mention and encourage roleplaying. But you're buying a set of books that total multiple hundred of pages, and 95% of the stuff inside is rules, options, magic items to get, feats, etc. What you're buying is a technical framework with technical content, there's no rules for roleplaying. Most editions, aside from a few sentences in the opening chapter and a two-page spread example of four people roleplaying, say very little about roleplaying.

I'm not arguing that roleplaying isn't an important part of D&D. It is. Or at least it is for me. But if there's one rule that trumps anything you could quote me, it is that no two groups play this game the same way. There's no "core" or "true" D&D experience. Even the designers themselves have said that they made some changes and don't play everything as per the rules. All kind of people play these games for all kind of reasons, they're all as legitimate and they're not more or less true what what you consider the basis of D&D.

It seems to me like you've spent 40 years playing the same way, and you're so entrenched in your way of playing that you cannot fathom people playing differently. You'll allow them to. But they're going against what D&D is. They're being selfish. They're just interested in technical options.

And at our tables we chose to leave them just like we do with other options, and not ask for advice because we are not building technical characters that need a technical crutch to seem attractive to play.
Once again, it seems impossible for you to conceptualize that someone could both spend time to build an efficient character and roleplay. But these things are not mutually exclusive, I'm a man of both crowds. I will scour books for options and build optimized character. I like when my DM sends us some really tough challenges and I like overcoming them because I've built my character well. But I also voice my character, I write an extensive backstory, I force myself in doing some in-character choices. Things are not binary. Stop trying to push your view of the hobby as universal and absolute facts.

Lyxen

Great Old One
We are either operating in alternate realities, or one (or more) of us is completely crazy. Statistically there's a 50% chance that's me, so maybe it's time to disengage.

And practically, there is 100% chance that you are wrong on this, let me link pictures for you:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Remove ads