Academy of Drell (d4/d6) filled!

Zhure

First Post
I'm starting a message-based game, now accepting applications. It's for an idea I've wanted to try for awhile, based loosely on a RL game I am running.

Premise:
The Academy of Drell is the northermost segment of the Empire, located on an isolated island, just north of the main landmass. The Empire encompasses the entire known world, a vaguely torus-shaped continent with a large inner sea. Drell is on an untamed archipelego -- untamed because it's inhospitable.

The Academy itself is isolated for a reason, as its isolation enhances learning and keeps it away from the volatile politics of the mainlands. In many ways, Drell is a finishing school, a place of learning where future princes and kings are trained as well as the bourgeois.

Almost any topic is taught at the Academy: Fencing, politics, mathematics, religion, the magical and martial arts. There are no structured classes, as each student is expected to be learning at their own pace. Food and lodgings are supplied by the prepaid tuition fees.

Character Creation:

All characters classes must be from the "d4" or "d6" group: Rogues, Bards, Sorcerers, Psions (any), Wizards (any). This will be a low-combat game, as befits a message based game, but when combat happens, it will probably be very deadly.

All WoTC prestige classes are allowed, as long as they are d4 and from the books listed below. All Feats are allowed from the listed books.

Players Hand Book
Dungeon Masters Guide
Monster Manual
Psionics Handbook
Sword & Fist
Tome & Blood
Defenders of the Faith
Song & Silence
Masters of the Wild

Races: PHB only

Characteristics: As a standard array, except the array is 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10. Basically the '8' is changed to a '10.' Assign the array, then assign racial mods.

Starting characters will be 4th level (don't forget to add one characteristic boost for level 4) and will have 3,300 gold. No more than half of your gold may be spent on a single item. Alternately, you may be lower level if you've spent some of your money on self-made magic items.

House rules: none.

First six applicants will be accepted.

Last edited:

Zhure

First Post
Hit points after first

Maximum hi points at first level, then 1/2 the die size +1 for each level thereafter (i.e., d4 = +3; d6 = +4). This is the same system I'm using in my RL game and also the same as the RPGA Greyhawk system.

One player, one character so far. As soon as we reach six players, the game will be afoot.
Greg

Last edited:

Jeremy

Explorer
What days would there likely be activity in the game? I'm gone Saturday's but I'm around from 8-4 CST on weekdays...

Zhure

First Post
I'm online from 8 AM - 11 AM CT (approximately) every day, M-S. Sundays I'm usually gaming IRL all day. Mondays I'm off, but preparing for my IRL game, so will only be posting sporadically on Sunday and Monday, if at all.

I plan on trying to post at least five days a week, more often as flow indicates.
Greg

Zhure

First Post
Rules clarification

As the first Psion just jumped in, let me clarify:

Psionics = magic

Save DCs are set for psionics as 10+ power level + characteristic, in lieu of using the d20 + power level + characteristic.

Greg

Spoof

First Post
Oh hey why not, I'll try it again.

Character Arean
Class Psi warrior

Will create and post character tonight. (Thursday)

Last edited:

kaboom

First Post
Do you have any house rules for bards to make them more fun to play? (6 skill points/ level, a free feat every 4 levels, etc.)

Last edited:

Dalamar

Adventurer
Don't PWarriors have d8?
*checks the book*
Yup, they do and so aren't allowed.

Can we use stuff from the Mind's Eye article appearing at WotC site? What about feats and powers (not the spells-to-powers conversions) from ITCK? I'll make up a psion anyway.
I asked this on the character thread, but I'll ask it here too: Can I play a blue?

Remove ads