Adamantite Weapons (Large)

bleedthefreak

First Post
Just a quick question, it looks like (based on the table at the end of the DMG) the larger a weapon or armor is, then the better the enhancement bonus give by Adamantite. For example, heavy full plate gets +3 while a chainshirt only gets +1, but it costs more to have adamantite full plate.

Now, I was thinking of making a Forsaker (human Bbn1/Ftr4) who is going to wear Mithril Breastplate (to retain move bonus from Barbarian level) and wield an Adamantite Fullblade (because, how cool is that!?), but just for the sake of curiosity, how many of you think larger weapons should be +3 or more? The chart I mentioned above only allows for up to 2d6 (greatsword), but what if a Fire Giant had a Huge Greatsword created of Adamantite? Is +2 the cap, or +3 (since Full plate can have +3)? Could it be +4? What then would a fullblade (an "Ogre's Greatsword") be, I wonder?

Probably still +2, but I thought I would ask... ;)

bleedthefreak

First Post
It should be noted..

..That with an increase in bonus, comes a proportanate increase in cost, I propose 20,000 gold (9,000 is about 1,000 over a regular +2 weapon, so 20,000 is about double that amount over a +3 weapon). I think +3 should be the limit, now that I think about it, but I *do* think it should go that high (however, I am biased, because it would be a weapon for my character).

bleedthefreak

First Post
Your right...

Lord Pendragon said:
I didn't think a medium-sized human could wield a fullblade...?

Unless they took the exotic weapon prof feat (Sword and Fist), then they could use it with both hands. A large creature can use it with both hands as a martial weapon, or with one hand with the exotic weapon feat (much like a bastard sword). A huge creature can use it in one hand like a longsword, or in two for more damage, like a martial weapon (no feat required) unless it was an extra large fullblade designed to be a size larger for Huge creatures *shudder*

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Re: Your right...

bleedthefreak said:
Unless they took the exotic weapon prof feat (Sword and Fist), then they could use it with both hands. A large creature can use it with both hands as a martial weapon, or with one hand with the exotic weapon feat (much like a bastard sword). A huge creature can use it in one hand like a longsword, or in two for more damage, like a martial weapon (no feat required) unless it was an extra large fullblade designed to be a size larger for Huge creatures *shudder*

Fallblade: A fullblade is 18 inches longer than a greaysword, and is too large for a Medium-size creature to use at all. A Large creatuere could use the fullblade with one hand, but would suffer the standard nonproficiency penalty to its attack rolls, or with two hands as a martial weapon. A Large creature with the Exotic Weapon proficiency could use the fullblade in one hand with no penalty. A fullblade is also called an ogre's greatsword.

wolfpunk

First Post
I believe the feat in question is commonly called monkey grip. It allows a character to wield a weapon one size larger then they normally could if they wield it with two hands. I allow this to stack with exotic weapon proficiency in the weapon to allow you to use a weapon two sizes larger then you could normally wield. It makes for great fun to have a human use it, and then make him fight an ogre using it as well.

I tricked a DM into giving me a +4 Huge greataxe (I was a minotaur barbarian). That campaign only lasted one session (not understanding ECL, I paid 5 levels instead of 8, so I just slaughtered the opposition. The DM also had us randomly roll for magic items, and I got really lucky!). Seriously, I recall reading that the maximum is only +2 (DND FAQ perhaps?)

Remove ads