• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

4E [Adventure] Squash Those Bugs! (DM: Dekana, Judge: ?)

Dekana

Villager
Squash Those Bugs!

Cast:


[sblock=PBP rules, stolen from Someone]We'll be using the Malenkirk conventions for combat, which in short means that all the enemies will be acting in the same initiative count. Player initiative is only important for knowing who goes before the monsters; otherwise, whoever posts first goes first in a given round, with the caveat that you can only benefit from a condition inflicted by a another party member once, no matter how the acting order is shuffled.


Additionally I encourage you to speed up combat by making the neccesary rolls that may result from your actions, even if someone else or the DM is supposed to make them. For example, you may move an enemy over the edge of a cliff - this normally requires the DM to save for it to determine if the monster falls down or just prone, but in this case you should make the save yourself.[/sblock]


---------------------------


Deemus and Tak, two black-scaled kobolds, lead a small group of adventurers to the docks. There, they find a small rowboat - barely big enough to seat the group (and certainly not comfortably). A large crack exists near the rear of the vessel, giving some doubts as to its seaworthiness. Regardless, the kobolds seem eager enough. They jump into the boat and motion to the paddles.

"You row! We navigate!" announces Tak, the female.
 
Last edited:

FlervaFlerv

Villager
Flervin stands on the dock, and looks at the dismal condition of the boat. He turns to his new company and offers assistance in if anyone wishes. Upon everyone being aboard, he will join his compatriots and give a hearty shove to send the group on their way.
 

Neil1889

Villager
The seven-foot odd minotaur in plate waiting outside the tavern gives the other adventurers a nod by means of greeting and follows the kobolds to the dock.

Labraundos looks at the rowing boat and then at the kobolds with a quizzical look before stepping into the boat and seating himself at the oars. As he does so, the boat sinks perceptibly further down into the water, but surprisingly doesn't sink just yet.

"Somebody might need to bail water at some point," he says, as he siezes the oars and starts to handle the boat with a small degree of ability.
 

pathfinderq1

Villager
The last of the group to leave the tavern was a young human woman of average height and athletic build. She had golden-bronze skin and short-cropped hair only a shade darker- and the green-gold eyes of a hunting cat. Like the others, she eyed the boat warily before stepping down into it- though when she did board, it was with an uncanny grace- she even perched for a moment on the edge of the craft, nearly in defiance of gravity. "My last trip out started with a gods-cursed boat wreck- looks like my luck is holding," she grumbled softly.
 

Neil1889

Villager
The minotaur hears the woman and responds, "Hmmm, Perhaps a short platitude to Netari is in order? I think I could swim to a river bank or a very nearby shallow off the coast in this plate armour, but I do not wish to show off just yet. It could be considered rude."
 

Dekana

Villager
The adventurers bravely (or recklessly) enter the boat, and Flervin shoves the vessel into deeper water. Once Flervin is on board, Deemus points to an island off in the distance and partially obscured by mist.

"To Bacarte!" the kobold orders.

The adventurers take their paddles, two to a side, and begin rowing. Deemus apparently has no further directions to give, so he stops "navigating" and relaxes at the back of the vessel. The boat sags deeply into the water, but just aloft enough to prevent any water from getting inside. It is very fortunate that the seas are calm today. As for the crack in the boat, one might notice that Tak is firmly pressing her back it and preventing it from leaking. While she looks terrified of the situation, Deemus seems calm and oblivious.

Bacarte is not terribly far away, and most of the adventurers are in excellent physical condition. The crossing passes quickly and without incident. Near the end of the trip, Deemus directs the adventurers to row along the shore of Bacarte to a spot a few miles west of the city. Looking inland, this region of the island is rocky and sparsely wooded. Large boulders are strewn in the water, some below the surface, creating hazards that the adventurers must carefully (but easily) row around. Before long, Deemus announces, "Okay, we're here!"

The adventurers bring the boat onto the shore and begin to disembark.
 

pathfinderq1

Villager
Even as she stepped off the boat, the young woman unlimbered her weapons- a long-bladed knife and a odd tangle of braided leather straps. She moved forward onto the rocky shore with a confident, graceful stride, sweeping the immediate area with a careful gaze. She wrinkled her nose, looking for all the world as if she was sniffing for something...

"Where do we go from here? And what can we expect?," she growled, without looking back towards the others.
 

Dekana

Villager
Tak replies to Lenyara, "Close. Is, uh..." She sputters for a moment, apparently searching for the right words. She just repeats "Close!" and points vaguely to the interior of the island. "Wolf close also. Eat friend! SUPER bad wolf!"
 

FlervaFlerv

Villager
Flervin exits the boat and walks in silence with the party. He rubs his thumb in the palm of his hands over the callouses that had been formed in the field from back home. At the mention of bad wolf, Flervin is snapped back to his current surroundings.

"Hmm" he breathes deeply. In a moment, his left hand turns into that toughened and deeply browned leathery hide, but a quick shake of his hand reverts it back to the familiar dwarven flesh. His eyes give a flash of green, as he lumbers forward. He gives a quick look around to see if anyone in the party had noticed his partial transformation.
 

Neil1889

Villager
The Minotaur drags the boat ashore and ties the painter fast to a rock. He then makes ready to set off into the interior, his axe appearing in his hands at the mention of the predatory wolf. He does look quizzically at the dwarf, but for the moment says nothing.
 

Vertexx69

Villager
Of course I've been here the whole time :p

The tall boy has been barely perceptible during the boat ride, and blinks in and out of visibility as he moves through the shadows near the beach. "Will we be going to this village you mentioned first, or strait to the cave? If the village is being attacked by bugs, the who knows what might have happened while you were at the Hanged Man gathering help."
OOC: What time of day is it when we arrive?
 

Dekana

Villager
OOC: You were recruited in the tavern in the late morning and only spent about two hours in the boat. It is in the early afternoon.

Lenyara: You notice footprints in the sand past the surf. You gather that the kobolds probably left the island in this same spot.


"No, no, village is cave. You don't know kobolds? Stay in caves!"

At Lenyara's urging, the pair of reptilians hurry up and start walking inland. Ten minutes into the trek, the terrain remains hilly and littered with large boulders. The surroundings become increasingly wooded, but not so much as to impede movement at all.

[sblock=Lenyara]About 15 minutes into the hike, you spot movement obscured behind a low pile of rocks. When you maneuver for a better view, you determine that the movement belongs to a quadrupedal animal tearing into the flesh of some type of kill. It's probably the wolf that the kobolds were talking about.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Dekana

Villager
Emsy, the Deva who has been with the party the whole time, suddenly realizes that she hasn't spoken much ever since she rushed to the docks, found the kobolds Tak and Deemus, and agreed to help them rid their village of giant centipedes.

OOC: Welcome to the adventure, treex!
 

pathfinderq1

Villager
The young woman who had been leading the group along the kobolds' back-trail suddenly stopped, peering intently into the woods ahead. After a moment she carefully stepped back towards the others. Her voice was a raspy whisper. "I think we found your wolf," She purred, pointing. "Looks like he's eating something. Do we try to sneak around, or do we fight?"
 

Neil1889

Villager
[sblock=skill check]Perception check to see the wolf = 20.[/sblock]

The Minotaur looks towards where the woman points and responds in a low rumble, "Not a bad idea, but I'm not equipped for sneaking."
 

FlervaFlerv

Villager
Seeing the eagerness in the eyes of his adventuring party, Flervin takes a glance around. His eyes grow slightly somber as he whispers "Please forgive my beastly appearance, as I know this may come as a shock to some."

With that, he begins to hunker over, placing a fist on the ground. His hands enlarge and form dark brown scales, where his sleeves had been, red, brown, and speckled green feathers now exist. His nose warps in to a beak, and his beards shift to accommodate. His eyes grow larger, and look to have been sparked by a green/yellow fire. His knees reverse direction, and his feet make way in to clawed talon like structures.

Once he has transformed, he gives a reassuring glance at his newly changed hands, as if checking for full functionality, he stretches slightly, as if relieved to have managed to make it through yet another successful morph.

"I'd say we strike whilest the beast is distracted" he says through his beak.

OOC: This is essentially what you now seeing, only it is red/brown with speckled green...black hands/feet with dark brown, and try to ignore the bone beak, Flerv's is more of a light brown pointed beak that fades in to the color of bone. Flervin is still a maximum of 4'4" as per the rules found in PHB2 for their size not really being altered, just their appearance.
.
 

Vertexx69

Villager
The willowy boy cracks his neck to one side as he tries to get a line of sight on the beast. "Well I for one would rather not have that thing sneaking up on us from behind, look at those teeth."
 

Advertisement

Top