Against the Giants: Steading of the Hill Giant Chief

drothgery

First Post
Gwenn Arellic, human rogue(thief) 12

Bathed and dressed, Gwenn made her way to the common area. Not much had changed since the last time she was here, if she corrected for the differences between a the sight of a teenage girl and a woman grown. Two who had to be some of the other adventurers -- one might have been a guardsman, but the lack of uniform and visible armor said otherwise -- were already making conversation, and she made her way to join them. The woman's explanation of her origins answered a question she would have thought but not asked, for the woman who called herself Miranda -- and let us not assume they will be any more honest with who they truly are than I intend to be -- was clearly not of any race Gwenn was familiar with. She waited for the soldier -- for that was clearly what he was -- to give his name before speaking, then answered Miranda's question even thought it had not been directed to her.

"And I am Mari Kristalic." She said, in an accent that clearly marked her as from this region and likely noble-born. "These giants seem intent on destroying my home. I intend to do something about that." And save for borrowing my cousin's name, that is entirely true.

Inspiratorium

First Post
As Deacon nears Miranda, he does certainly notice the air warming up around him and the fires burning in her eyes. In fact, he seems visibly surprised as he nears her. It appeared he was more right than he'd imagined when he came to the conclusion that she was not a commoner. He gives her a scan -- hardly the build to be a soldier, but confident and refined, perhaps even a bit fiery (that word kept coming up when he tried to describe her). Nobility it was then.

He gives a quick nod to "Mari" as she joins the conversation, then responds, "I am known as Deacon Ambersharn, formerly of Lisavet. I suppose my profession is technically 'mercenary,' though I'd like to think of myself as better than that," he states, seeming increasingly curious about Miranda, if for no other reason than that she radiated heat. "If you don't mind me asking, efreet courts? I could tell you weren't completely human, but you don't seem completely of their kind either."

Last edited:

tiornys

Explorer
Putting down his gear in the room Wik set out to find a servant. Spotting a lad carrying an armload of firewood he approached. "Lad, would it be possible to get a barber sent to my room or is there a place here in the castle where I can find one? Also, I could use the services of a laundress." He reached for a silver piece in his pouch unconsciously. Then paused, was a servant in a castle likely to expect a tip. Certainly the lads in the rural inns always did, but was this different? Damn, adjusting to civilization was going to be a challenge. He watched the lad closely for any sign he expected a coin for his troubles.

At Wik's request, the lad ducks his head. "Cert'nly, ah, milord. I'll just nip off to fetch a barber. If yer clothes is ready when I'm back, I can take them to the washes." He hesitates for a moment as his eyes track Wik's hand, then seems to tear himself away from the possible reward, quickly scurrying from the room.

----

The commons area is unoccupied aside from those guests who are there. However, a steady stream of servants passes this way and that upon various errands. Some seem curious about the strange looking visitors (except Miranda, who is given a wide berth), although all are careful enough to avoid direct stares.

Phaezen

First Post
As Brook approaches the conversation those paying attention will note that although he is wearing the robes of a scholar his movements are those of a warrior and his robes cover hide armour and he carries a well used glaive in a confident manner.

He waits for a pause in the conversation then introduces himself in the soft voice of a scholar.

"Greetings, my name is Brook, I am a wandering disciple of Bane here with Deacon to investigate the giant threat to civilization in the area." Having introduced himself he waits to be introduced to the others in the group.

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Wik spends considerable time in the baths scrubbing away a lifetime's worth of grime. A session with the barber and freshly laundered and mended cloths complete the transformation. If his clothes are well worn and a little out of fashion they are at least clean if a little damp. He cuts a dashing figure in freshly polished boots with two swords on his hip and a huge bow on his shoulder. He strides about the grounds to get a quick lay of the land before arriving with a little time to spare in the commons area.

Wik glides in with the grace of great cat hunting in the forest. His body is finely honed and his motions confident. He glides noiselessly across the space in a cloak that seems to fade into the background. His hide armor is carefully fitted with a vambrace on the left arm while the right is bare except for an Archer's glove. The blades he wears are secondary to the massive great bow he carries. It never leaves his side. His long dark hair is neatly pulled back and tied with a black ribbon. His van dyke beard is pointed like a dagger extending an inch below his chin with waxed mustaches above. His green eyes miss little while the sly smile never seems to leave his lips. He smells of soap and freshly oiled leather. The Duke's missive, carefully folded, is tucked into his belt.

He sizes up the the knot of others in the common area as he approaches. They were certainly a finer looking group than he was used to working with. Better fed and better equipped certainly. Seeing that introductions are in progress he provides one of his own.

"Good evening, Ladies, Gentlemen," he says with nods to each. "I am Wik, woodsman and slayer of Giants." He says this in an off hand way that he hopes will let the others know he is a serious man to be reckoned with.

pathfinderq1

First Post
As Deacon nears Miranda, he does certainly notice the air warming up around him and the fires burning in her eyes. In fact, he seems visibly surprised as he nears her. It appeared he was more right than he'd imagined when he came to the conclusion that she was not a commoner. He gives her a scan -- hardly the build to be a soldier, but confident and refined, perhaps even a bit fiery (that word kept coming up when he tried to describe her). Nobility it was then.

He gives a quick nod to "Mari" as she joins the conversation, then responds, "I am known as Deacon Ambersharn, formerly of Lisavet. I suppose my profession is technically 'mercenary,' though I'd like to think of myself as better than that," he states, seeming increasingly curious about Miranda, if for no other reason than that she radiated heat. "If you don't mind me asking, efreet courts? I could tell you weren't completely human, but you don't seem completely of their kind either."

"It was not thought that a full-blood efreet would be likely to work with 'local assets' in a properly cooperative fashion. I have traveled in human lands for many years, and learned a great deal. There are other reasons, of course, but no efreet could stand alone against the number of giants which seem to be involved." As the others made their own introductions, Miranda greeted them with a kind of regal politeness- despite her own statements, it seemed that she was not particularly familiar with normal folk.

pathfinderq1

First Post
"Good evening, Ladies, Gentlemen," he says with nods to each. "I am Wik, woodsman and slayer of Giants." He says this in an off hand way that he hopes will let the others know he is a serious man to be reckoned with.

"You seem to have missed a few of them. Hopefully, though, you have knowledge about them that will be valuable. I have fought many things, and each type of beasts seems to have particular strategies and weaknesses- it is good to have an expert. Though I have no doubt that giants burn well enough..." Miranda finished her statement with a brief laugh- her sense of humor seemed a bit odd.

drothgery

First Post
Gwenn Arellic, human rogue(thief)

"In my experience, a well-placed rapier thrust works on most things." 'Mari' said. Given the heat that radiated from the half-efreet, Gwenn found it difficult to keep her hand from the pommel of her cold-attuned blade; this was mountain country, and cool. Its fashions were not well-suited to standing next to elemental fire.

Scotley

Hero
"You seem to have missed a few of them. Hopefully, though, you have knowledge about them that will be valuable. I have fought many things, and each type of beasts seems to have particular strategies and weaknesses- it is good to have an expert. Though I have no doubt that giants burn well enough..." Miranda finished her statement with a brief laugh- her sense of humor seemed a bit odd.

drothgery said:
"In my experience, a well-placed rapier thrust works on most things." 'Mari' said. Given the heat that radiated from the half-efreet, Gwenn found it difficult to keep her hand from the pommel of her cold-attuned blade; this was mountain country, and cool. Its fashions were not well-suited to standing next to elemental fire.

Wik joins her laughter and agrees with both women, "Yes, there is still much work to be done. They have much in common with weeds they do respond well enough to a generous application of fire or steel, but they seem to just keep coming back."

Inspiratorium

First Post
"These are the same giants, that we're talking about, right?" Deacon asks, tempering the growing overconfidence, "takes more than a bit of heat or a small cut to bring one of them down." the soldier looks at Brook, "I've worked with this man here before. I can assure you all that we both are more than able to handle ourselves against some of the strongest creatures in these lands. But I still doubt our ability to take on this threat." A bit pessimistic, but it was the truth. He'd heard the stories of the others who had tried their blades and spells against the giants and failed. He refused to end up like them. "Like that one group of thieves out in the forests. The Marauders. They certainly haven't made much headway there."

Last edited:

Remove ads